4-Slot MVS Not Detecting Games - Goes to BIOS

alby13

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I was testing 4-slot MVS boards for a friend when I came across a board that would not read a game. It would not recognize that a game was inserted. It would go straight to the BIOS options. I carefully tested all 4 slots to see if it was an isolated problem but none worked. What would one check when this type of problem occurs?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
You mean crosshatch?

Have you tried cleaning the cartridge connector and game?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Very common fault. The cause is corroded traces underneath the battery on the bottom board.

alby13

Kuroko's Training Dummy
You mean crosshatch?

Have you tried cleaning the cartridge connector and game?

that's right, it goes to crosshatch. i think cleaning the connector and game were not the issue because they were pretty clean and all four slots were in decent shape. the game worked fine in other motherboards.

alby13

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Very common fault. The cause is corroded traces underneath the battery on the bottom board.

makes sense. so the traces get corroded because the battery leaks and causes this issue?

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
makes sense. so the traces get corroded because the battery leaks and causes this issue?

Yes, it's usually fixable though. I had a similar problem and a UniBIOS helped to diagnose it - you can look at the cartridge from the CPU's perspective and see if there's an address/data line that's out. Or, just get out a meter and start checking each trace.

alby13

Kuroko's Training Dummy
you guys are awesome. good to know

batteries seem to be the enemy of old arcade boards!