Guidance with PVM needed

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi

I just bought a little 13"PVM monitor, model pvm-1351q. I'll go pick it up on weekend, but I would like to know if there's anything special that I should take into account to know it has no issues. Any way to know the tube is perfect, without any colored spots or anything other than the naked eye? does the PVM have a test menu or something? I searched a bit but found no conclusive answer, thanks for any guidance guys.

Also, is this a good pvm? I know it has rgb and component inputs.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I think you know all this but: I'd take a system with me that outputs RGB and can run the 240p test suite... read up on what the patterns etc. are made for and run them on the monitor. If it looks good to you and the price is ok - that's all you need IMHO. From what I found with a quick research, it's 450 TVL, made from 1993 onward and has autotermination on the connectors - so that's all nice. Not a "HR" tube, but I don't think it's needed in that size anyway. 13" is a cool too.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I think you know all this but: I'd take a system with me that outputs RGB and can run the 240p test suite... read up on what the patterns etc. are made for and run them on the monitor. If it looks good to you and the price is ok - that's all you need IMHO. From what I found with a quick research, it's 450 TVL, made from 1993 onward and has autotermination on the connectors - so that's all nice. Not a "HR" tube, but I don't think it's needed in that size anyway. 13" is a cool too.

Nice info xsq, I did not know about the 240p test suite, I guess I'll get my Genesis over there to test the PVM before shelling out money for it.

Thanks!

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
So, I got the PVM and it seems to work fine, however the image stretches a bit horizontally, so it does not fit completely on the screen. I think these monitors have a service menu that allows to modify horizontal and vertical image size, but I cannot find it anywhere. Any idea guys? it¿s a PVM 1351q.

Thanks!!

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
So, I got the PVM and it seems to work fine, however the image stretches a bit horizontally, so it does not fit completely on the screen. I think these monitors have a service menu that allows to modify horizontal and vertical image size, but I cannot find it anywhere. Any idea guys? it¿s a PVM 1351q.

Thanks!!

Getting into service mode is likely the same as monitors like the 20M2MDU. That service manual is in the thread in the monitor section. IIRC it's menu then enter+degauss, but I recommend reading the couple pages about it in the manual.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Getting into service mode is likely the same as monitors like the 20M2MDU. That service manual is in the thread in the monitor section. IIRC it's menu then enter+degauss, but I recommend reading the couple pages about it in the manual.

Thanks skate323k137, just checked the PVM manual thread and got the one for the 20M2MDU. In fact, the service menu for the PVM1351Q is pressing DEGAUSS+ENTER after having pressed MENU. I checked the settings, there are lots of them, but did not see H CENTER (There is V CENTER though). Will check later with more available time.

Thanks!

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Doesn't the 1351q have a 16x9 mode or something. might want to make sure that button isn't pressed.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Doesn't the 1351q have a 16x9 mode or something. might want to make sure that button isn't pressed.

It does have the 16:9 button, and it is not pressed. If I press it, the image gets squished (obviously I guess). The quickest way to get the whole image to fit the screen is to press the "under scan"button, but then the image gets little with a margin about half and inch on each side, and up/down. Not ideal by any means.

Thanks!

xsq

Have you opened the monitor and (carefully!) checked for pots?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Have you opened the monitor and (carefully!) checked for pots?

No, I have not opened and I do not think I'll open it, because I have noticed that the image centering varies depending on the board I connect. The PGM produces a mostly centered image, with the Atomiswave the image is moved a bit up and to the right, the neo is only moved to the right (not up), the CPS1 (Final Fight) also displays a mostly centered image, just like the CPS2, so my guess is that internal pots would not solve the issue, there must be a menu that can center the image whenever I need it. That's my guess at least, LOL.

Thanks!!

xsq

I believe that picture shift you mention is normal... Usually people just set their monitors that don't have a menu for this so the console/PCB giving the biggest shift is displayed ok (with some minimal cut off) and play all the others with a little black on the borders.

I always wondered if there isn't a way to influence the signal so you could manage the shift with an adapter/converter, over pots or the like...

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I believe that picture shift you mention is normal... Usually people just set their monitors that don't have a menu for this so the console/PCB giving the biggest shift is displayed ok (with some minimal cut off) and play all the others with a little black on the borders.

I always wondered if there isn't a way to influence the signal so you could manage the shift with an adapter/converter, over pots or the like...

You can get something like an Extron RGB 202 which will allow for centering adjustment via two dials and also memory presets for the settings you use.
But I am guessing there is no autodetection so in any case you would need to bring up the desired preset manually. And its yet another additional device adding cluter to the setup.