Neo Turf Masters Android/iOS June 30th -- dotemu release though

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Title pretty much says it all. Sadly it's a dotemu release, but given the passable quality of the Blazing Star and Metal Slug games they've touched it should be good enough for your average digital golf game lover not wanting some EA like seriousness.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/NEO+TURF+MASTERS/news.asp?c=70201

There's a useless clip of the opening of the game at the link and no more info other than the author hoping for controller support.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'd have to agree. Dotemu does the minimum to get paid, and that's added work even if it's minor to do so.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
No doubt, but golf will be far less nasty than a shooter (Blazing Star), shooting platformer (Metal Slug's), or fighting (KOF games) they've already slung on there.

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
You can also use a blueooth controller, but at that point I'm not sure what the benefit would be of playing it on such a small screen would be..

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Not much. I've got that Shield Tablet so it's not exactly tiny, but it's not a 25" CRT either, but it has a mini hdmi-hdmi port on it and I have a cable, so I can pop it into any tv and do have a steelseries game pad. I think the value here is when you're on the road, you got golf on your phone for when you're on break, on the train/plane/bus, or whatever other situation makes hauling a tablet+pad annoying.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
sorry. posted in the wrong place.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Has anyone dug into what they've done with the Metal Slugs, Blazing Star and KOF on the Android/ioS format? I wouldn't be surprised if they were emulated, but I do notice they look (maybe small screen?) and sound better than the Humble Bundle stand alone/Steam builds. Different better emulator? I mean in the end it's not dotemu, they're a publisher, so perhaps they contracted less incompetent people for those mediums?

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
So it's out, and not terrible on first impression. I was concerned with the images showing stretched graphics, but they did include 4:3 and scanline options on top. No Scotland, unless it starts hidden.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Sounds interesting. I should add it to my phone since I don't think without a jailbreak I can add it otherwise. Tablet though, it's on there already with neo.emu. I kind of forgot about this, been mostly off computer since thursday night due to a mega score of Lego of all things. Been tooling around trying to sort things and discovering one good thing after another mostly with it.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I picked this up, couldn't find a way to get 4:3 mode at all, and during swings it'll occasionally frame lag which kills the fun factor of timing shots...there should be absolutely no reason for that on an LG G5, and I've turned off all game/battery optimization settings. Gyrian, were you playing the iOS version?

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Yeah, iOS on a 6S.
From the main menu, go to settings.

This next step is not very well designed, so I can see why you didn't find it. It looks like the menu only has a sound volume slider, but what appears to be a title card for 'Video Settings' is actually a button. Press that and you'll get to the screen with 4:3, scanlines, and filtering toggles.

FCxpBR9.png

etnP9EL.png

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Oh god that's a shit design. It did make things mildly better on my phone, but honestly thinking I should pull down Neo4All and see how it runs in comparison.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'm trying to get motivated to buy this, maybe later today. Of all the timing, days early international mail from Italy my full Neo Turf Masters Kit arrived I got for a steal. MVS...ios...MVS...ios. ...yeah, arcade cab time.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I bought this to play during a layover at the airport, and for $3 it does a good job scratching the Neo Turf Masters itch when you're on the go.

However, the one thing that really drives me nuts is stopping the swing meters. Some genius thought it would be a good idea to make you have to tap the swing meter itself, so your finger will always be in the way unless you're really careful and only tap the edge of the tiny area that registers as a touch.

Really, they should have forced everyone to play in 4:3 and put any virtual buttons needed along the margin so you don't ever have to worry about your finger obstructing the action.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I grabbed it as well for iOS, but I won't bother on Android. It's one of 2 games I have a full kit for, and with any cart I have I've thrown the set on my android tablet with NEO.EMU so I'm not double dipping. :D I agree entirely on my iphone5s it's a bit of a bitch trying to tap it accurately in that little corner. I have an otter case so I rest my finger over the corner crack there and just rock into it so I don't cover where I need to see the meter. They really should have allowed tapping all over or a wider hit box at least on the right. Outside of that it's solid and I do appreciate having both an arcade mode but the other to tool around in too.