HP CD Writer adaptor on Neo Geo CD Top Loader

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Yesterday, I bought this:
glAVgvH.jpg

An old HP CD Writer. What has that got to do with Neo Geo? Well, I've ordered a broken Neo Geo CD top loader a week or 2 back. While it will take a while to get here (took the cheapest shipping option which can take months, not in a hurry and it saved quite a few bucks), I also need to get cables and get/build a controller. While I can test with composite video fine, I of course need power. That's where the HP CD Writer comes in.

ZyXCZWd.jpg

Yep, the CD writer has the same weird-ass 3 prong plug that seemingly only it and the NGCD use. The seller even knew I was buying it just for that, and she was even happy someone bought the damn thing. It didn't work under Windows 8 or 10 (recognizes the device but there's no drivers that will work), and no one really needs a big bulky external CD writer these days.

However, the voltage and amperage rating differ slightly, which is where my concern lies. Instead of 10V 1A, it supplies 12V 1A. This isn't making me sweat too much, since I run my MegaDrive off of 12V, and it runs fine and nothing gets abnormally hot. But, instead of 5V 2A, it only has 5V 1,2A. Does the NGCD really pull 2A at times? Or could I supply it with 1,2A without too much worry of a powerbrick going pop? I'm pretty sure the pinout is right (12V is on 10V, 5V on 5V, GND on GND), though I can't check right now as it seems a fuse in my multimeter has blown for some reason (it's not measuring anything at all).

I could always chop the connector off and build my own brick, but I really need to get my soldering game on. I built my own N64 PSU yesterday, out of a dead one with a 12V brick and a buckconverter, and got the N64 to go, proving it was indeed the PSU at fault (I bought the N64 as broken). That said, the soldering job I did was so ugly I wanted to gouge my eyes out with the iron on full heat. Save to say, I'm not going to use that PSU any further, it was just to test if the N64 was still alive and well, which it is.

TL;DR I'd love to hear if I can run the NGCD off of the 12V 1A, 5V 1,2A HP brick without any worries, only shortly for testing while repairing, or not at all.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Not sure on your question, but what'd you pay after shipping for the CD writer?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's not really the amps that are the problem. From what I remember, you have to swap the 5v and ground wires. I remember two wires being swapped.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ah OK, maybe someone here will know about the current draw. Worst case I suppose you can just try it when the NGCD arrives.

Here's another thread discussing the internals a bit and a replacement power supply: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ment-for-the-neo-geo-cd-power-supply-*solved*

It doesn't cover the 5V current draw, but still may be helpful. Though 5V seems to only power the mobo, I'd doubt it's pulling 2A.

Correct, 5v powers the board, 12v powers the encoder and sound.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
It's not really the amps that are the problem. From what I remember, you have to swap the 5v and ground wires. I remember two wires being swapped.
Alright, thanks. I'll check it as soon as I get some new fuses for my multimeter. I've seen a pinout of the NGCD's power connector online so I have a reference to check it with. Just wanted to make sure the NGCD wasn't going to pull more than the PSU can supply. But I just figured, if it does, then I can salvage the 3 prong connector either way and still go the DIY route.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Alright, thanks. I'll check it as soon as I get some new fuses for my multimeter. I've seen a pinout of the NGCD's power connector online so I have a reference to check it with. Just wanted to make sure the NGCD wasn't going to pull more than the PSU can supply. But I just figured, if it does, then I can salvage the 3 prong connector either way and still go the DIY route.

You should be able to open the PSU and swap them if needed.