MSX (US) AES - Possible fuckery

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
Saw this in the NGFL group on FB (I know, I know. I shouldn't even be part of that group). I have some screen shots of my discussion about obtaining this game. (This is more of a warning, due some some resistance to cooperate about the authenticity of the game. I don't have proof of anything right now):

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg

and larger pics of the posting:
13268019_10206596094565267_8616568396491286112_o.jpg
13235167_10206596098125356_3224879089324401636_o.jpg
13260064_10206596097965352_4258960344640700407_n.jpg

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The label looks appropriately crummy for English carts of that time period. But yeah, not even a picture of the bottom of the cart? Avoid.

If the PROG board is dark colored instead of green like the CHA board, then there's good odds its real. Pretty much every single Slug X bootleg uses a PROGBK1 board with the hacked P1 ROM, such a board is green in color. Slug X's copy protected board (PROGEOP) is dark colored.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Even if there were board pics, you really wanna throw down 5000 Euros?

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I would consider it mandatory to see the boards on something that's going to cost 5000 euros.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Y'all niggas is crazy. You better get that MVS copy for $50.

I'm no expert, but I heard its the same game.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
lol 5000 euros? It does look legit to me, but it would be impossible to say for sure without seeing it up close. Board pics won't prove the paperwork is all legit.

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
just out of curiosity, have there been any known boots with the grey board? i've seen a lot of people posting that like it's some sort of gospel but if you're going to try to get a massive price for it it seems worth it to go the extra mile and fake the color as well. i don't know dick about aes tho

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
just out of curiosity, have there been any known boots with the grey board? i've seen a lot of people posting that like it's some sort of gospel but if you're going to try to get a massive price for it it seems worth it to go the extra mile and fake the color as well. i don't know dick about aes tho

The dark gray board obviously isn't a perfect guarantee. A determined asshole could sever the traces to the decryption chip (Altera MAX, NEO-SMA, etc) and hand wire the P1 and P2 ROMs to the cartridge edge. The problem is that's around 40 wires, most of which will have to be soldered to the tiny thin traces near the edge connector. You can't solder right on it or just above it, the plastic guide thing gets in the way. Oh and let's not even get into the missing logic chips (74xx74 and 74xx08) that are needed to bankswitch the P ROMs properly.

That said, most of the time, the dark gray PROG board is a very good sign with games like Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 3 and Mark of the Wolves, because each of those games has a unique decryption chip that is not swappable with another game. The CHA board on the other hand is interchangeable.

And for those who don't know where the PROG board is when looking at the edge connectors, it's on the bottom, closest to the "Made in Japan" molding on the back of the cartridge. The CHA board is closest to the label and warning sticker.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Even if I was rich I would not pay that. Get it for MVS.

mathieu4d

Crazed MVS Addict
Dont buy without pcb pictures.
There are for sure some lazy people, and some scammer.
But are there still ppl not able to cleanly open a game as of 2016 ?

Ask really closeup pics of insert / manual inside showing that its vector offset printed.
Cross that with picture of a genuine cart.

Would do the above for any >600-700€ cart.
For a 5k cart, i'd buy a plane ticket and a compte-fil . Not that i'd buy a 5k cart btw...

Last edited:

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
Alessandro Ballanti, aka Rance6, is a huge collector and a serious seller (running also a phisycal store), but my personal experience is limited to a couple of PCE/Snes titles.

Anyway, in these days, is always a risky path the AES online purchasing and a pic of the bottom would be mandatory.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Seriously, even if I'm dropping $150 I require board pics. In no way would I ever pay gift via Paypal for €5000. You're already spending that much, what's another €200 to save yourself?

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
I'll pull my legit US Metal Slug X out of the closet later and give you my opinion.

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
I'll pull my legit US Metal Slug X out of the closet later and give you my opinion.

So based on what I can see in the pictures above I'm leaning towards this being a legit copy. Now this does not mean I approve or disapprove of the sale so buy at your own risk. I know it's been said already but nothing beats pictures of the boards. Also close up pictures of the SNK and Neo Geo logos on the printed material would be good. That is an area where you can see color bleeding that some fakes out there have.
I got a friend that buys and sells Rolex's. I asked him how can you tell if they are fake or not? He says you gotta open them up and look at the inside. :snack:

P.S. Let us know if you buy or pass based on our help.

Last edited:

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
Yeah. I'm not not shelling out that much for this game. Thanks for the info/help, though.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
For 5k it should at least be Slug 2.

2 > X

:keke: