Makvision 27/29 Tri Mode Monitor

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Anyone have one of these? I see its pretty much the only brand new arcade monitor still available.

I see online that it is simply a rebadged weiya monitor.

The cheapest I can get it for is $650 shipped. Probably too much money. But there is something to be said of a monitor with zero burn that will only see home use during its lifetime... in reality it is a $400-450 premium over a used and possibly needing repairs in the near future monitor.

Thoughts?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
We had one at work, it lasted maybe 4 years before the chassis took a shit. Obviously needing a new CRT can put you between a rock and a hard place nowadays, but I really wouldn't be happy shelling out more than a few hundred at most for a makvision/weiya.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
It uses the same shitty Wei-Ya chassis that is in the Atomiswave. So you're taking a gamble.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I guess I will just wait it out. Arcade games don't look terrible on a tv screen... just not 100% right.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I guess I will just wait it out. Arcade games don't look terrible on a tv screen... just not 100% right.

650 shipped is pretty steep. It's a shame as just a few years ago 450 would get you a wells Gardner 27" tri sync shipped model 9200 I believe was the last one I bought. I don't have the game anymore but the guy who has it now said it still works good. It's coming up on 6 years old now, but only home use so not sure how well those hold up for longevity.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
like KP said, as an owner of the same weiya monitor, they suck ass. just try and find something used in good condition if you can.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
like KP said, as an owner of the same weiya monitor, they suck ass. just try and find something used in good condition if you can.

Yea, what a shame that the concensus seems to say the quality is shitty. I am sure if it was a nanao quality monitor it would be a no brainer.