sega new astro city cabinet monitor dims when played rough

tenkenryu

n00b
I was playing my new astro city cabinet pretty hard on some mark of wolves and the picture started to flicker and then went so dark, I could barely see the picture. I hit the control panel a little to recreate what happen and the picture flickers back to bright in parts but will not go back to the way it was. I messed with the brightness nob and can get the picture to where I can see to play but it is very dull. I have no idea what happen. If anyone can help please let me know?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Checking all connections to the monitor is a good first step. If physical manipulation of the cabinet affects the picture then I would assume loose connection somewhere.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If you give the side of the cabinet a whack, does the picture fix itself? If so it's probably time for a cap kit on the chassis.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
If you give the side of the cabinet a whack, does the picture fix itself? If so it's probably time for a cap kit on the chassis.

This. Also, check for cold solder joints on the neck board. These things get hot and cold as time goes on so it's possible that its actually let go a little.

Sir_KEVITH

n00b
I had an issue like this with the K7000 in my MVS. It was a bad solder joint somewhere and I had the monitor chassis screwed down too tight. It ended up breaking that connection. Once I unscrewed the chassis a few turns my picture came back to normal and stable. I'll probably have to reflow the whole thing some day.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Random suggestion, check the remote board. I've seen on a few cabs that if things are plugged in loosely, or sometimes if the pots are dirty, they cause weird sporadic stuff like this. Could be way off but it should be simple to check.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
If it were a pot issue I'd expect the brightness to be 'jumpy', do you see that OP?

tenkenryu

n00b
so I replaced the little control board, but the problem has progressed. It will start then the picture will darken warm up then about an hour sometimes less sometimes more the picture will come back from the dim state. If i smack the side of the cab or the control panel the picture brightens sometimes for a couple second or minute or just stays on. What do i need to do to fix my issue any help would be awesome.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Reread post #7.

You have a cold or broken solder joint(s) on your chassis.

Reflow it.