PDA

View Full Version : Samurai Shodown (Spirit) RPG translation (French to English)

Apocalypse
02-06-2016, 05:43 PM
So after a brief discussion with some members in the chat, it seems that there isn't any English translation of SS RPG available yet.
Luckily it does exist a French translation made by LeNobleBahamut. Translation isn't an issue for me as I'm a native French speaker with academic level.
The technical part is a bit harder. First I've noticed that LNB has modified the tileset from 8*16 to 8*8 to save space (as you need much more characters in French than in Japanese).
The drawback is tiles are stored in an unconventional order, lines being paired.
Order is: 2nd character of first line, then 2nd character of second line, 1st character of first line, 1st character of second line, and so on (3rd and 4th characters, etc.)
I've made a small tool to decode the text but there are few issues:
- Until you get all the pointers you can't know where a line starts or ends without playing the game (which is not really convenient as I don't have any "cheat codes" to jump wherever I want in the game)
- Some characters have several different tiles (e.g. in the introduction the B character have at least 2 different tiles). I don't know if it's intentional.
Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. I've got all the knowledge and experience needed to discuss it at a highly technical level.

lolifoxgirl
02-06-2016, 10:57 PM
Bravo, apocalypse.

Hellfromabove
02-06-2016, 11:31 PM
Cool

Wyeth
02-07-2016, 01:17 AM
I have been looking for the English translation of this, but it seems while it was started...it never came to fruition. So this would be great, I just can't enjoy a RPG that is in japanese unfortunately. Keep us posted.

Apocalypse
02-07-2016, 06:01 PM
Ok I gave it a try with the shitty tools I've made.
I can edit and modify tiles (I've used it to create tiles for J/Q/Y/Z/? as I didn't find these characters in the French introduction text), extract and re-inject text but I don't know where to find the text pointers.
Here is a movie I made of the modified intro using CamStudio for capture and Nebula for emulation:
http://sendvid.com/h73dnav8

lolifoxgirl
02-07-2016, 07:02 PM
If you can boil some of this down to busy work I can help you.

wyndcrosser
02-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Nice job.

Apocalypse
02-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Thanks for your support.
So now I would like to translate the in-game texts however I'm facing a new issue with Nebula: I got stuck on the loading screen just after starting a new game.
Anyone has ever managed to play SS RPG in Nebula from the ISO?
Also it doesn't play music although I use a CUE file and audio files are in WAV.

wyndcrosser
02-08-2016, 04:06 PM
When I did the "hack" to english for SSRPG, I burnt a lot of CD-R's. I spoke to LB who helped out a little with finding the files etc. I haven't had time to go through my notes. I have a lot of projects that I start, but can't finish, so I move to another one. I hope to finish a lot of them soon.

Apocalypse
02-08-2016, 05:39 PM
The issue was Nebula actually.
I've switched to NeoRaine and now everything works fine (both music and game).

When I did the "hack" to english for SSRPG, I burnt a lot of CD-R's. I spoke to LB who helped out a little with finding the files etc. I haven't had time to go through my notes. I have a lot of projects that I start, but can't finish, so I move to another one. I hope to finish a lot of them soon.
What do you mean by English "hack"?
LNB is unreachable...

wyndcrosser
02-08-2016, 10:30 PM
I talked to LNB on the french forums. It literally took me about a year for him to finally respond to my PM. I tried doing some of the hacking to it, I believe I modified the main screen options and a few item files once I figured out how to do it. He uses the same type of hacking for all his releases (Star Ocean for the GBC for example)

Apocalypse
02-08-2016, 11:11 PM
Do you have some information that could be useful for me?
What did stop you from completing it?
I'm working on the characters presentations now and it's a complete mess... Tiles aren't ordered in a logical order (which isn't an issue if you have the pointers table). Maybe it's intentional, now that I'm more into the subject I understand why there isn't any SS RPG translation in any other language.
If LNB would have released his pointers table it would have been a breeze to have the job done.

GoodTofuFriday
02-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Without knowing ngcd games in particular, I would start with making sure you use the same amount of characters per text box as the french version. spaces included.

Apocalypse
02-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Without knowing ngcd games in particular, I would start with making sure you use the same amount of characters per text box as the french version. spaces included.
What you say isn't valid for SS RPG as it uses "independent" tiles instead of a tileset. So the maximum number of characters per text box is the size of the text box in pixels divided by the size of each tile.
Ex: If the text box is 80 pixels wide and 32 pixels in height and your tiles are 8*8 then you can display 4 lines (32/8) of 10 (80/8) characters.
It's in fact a bit more complicated cause during the intro characters are made of unique 8*8 tiles and in game it's 2x 8*8 tiles.

GoodTofuFriday
02-09-2016, 03:11 PM
What you say isn't valid for SS RPG as it uses "independent" tiles instead of a tileset. So the maximum number of characters per text box is the size of the text box in pixels divided by the size of each tile.
Ex: If the text box is 80 pixels wide and 32 pixels in height and your tiles are 8*8 then you can display 4 lines (32/8) of 10 (80/8) characters.
It's in fact a bit more complicated cause during the intro characters are made of unique 8*8 tiles and in game it's 2x 8*8 tiles.

That makes things pretty complicated for translation/interpretation. jeez

Apocalypse
02-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Now you understand why you're still waiting for an English translation...

GohanX
02-10-2016, 03:02 PM
Only now, at the end, do you realize the power of the darkside.

lolifoxgirl
02-10-2016, 03:44 PM
Need a dark sacrifice, to draw forth a demon to make us hacking tools.

GoodTofuFriday
02-10-2016, 10:42 PM
Now you understand why you're still waiting for an English translation...

Might be easier to give everyone french lessons lol

xsq
02-11-2016, 08:19 AM
damn it.

Apocalypse
02-11-2016, 09:29 PM
I've edited the tiles and made the translation of the introduction:

http://sendvid.com/5wpl19s2

lolifoxgirl
02-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Looking good apocalypse. Youre hard work is appreciated.

Apocalypse
02-14-2016, 10:45 PM
Looking good apocalypse. Youre hard work is appreciated.
Thanks.
Now I understand why things are so strange with that game: Japanese characters are 16 * 16 pixels or LNB has used 8*16 for French characters but without changing the display function. Therefore each time he calls a character (or what is considered a character by the game) it displays 2 letters instead of 1 so he had to create all possible couples of letters in the game... (e.g. "Bonjour la France" would be made of "characters" Bo/nj/ou/r /la/ F/ra/nc/e ).
I've made a new script to extract in-game texts tiles but still I have to validate them one by one (developing a function to recognise letters based on the pixels colours would take ages) and another one to extract in-game texts.
It would be good to have a simple tileset made of all uppercase and lowercase letters plus numbers 0 to 9 and few other characters (exclamation mark, full stop,etc.) and then modifying the display function. However each tile address is 4 bytes so it won't fit easily unless you store them in a specific location and then only code them on 2 bytes and add automatically an offset.
Once all tiles and texts would have been extracted and translated I could make a script to count how many different pairs of letters exist in the English translated version of the game. If it's less or equal than the French version then I would simply re-inject new tiles and texts. If not back to previous remark.

lolifoxgirl
02-14-2016, 11:11 PM
I am glad you are the one doing this. Sounds like you are all over it!

Xian Xi
02-15-2016, 03:06 AM
You should accept PayPal donations for your hard work.

Apocalypse
02-15-2016, 02:11 PM
You should accept PayPal donations for your hard work.
I don't want to ask for money as donators will expect results then. ATM I don't have any pressure on this project which is good to me.

Apocalypse
02-15-2016, 10:35 PM
I've extracted all the modified characters in the game (1496 tiles of 16 * 16 pixels).

I'm now able to extract text:

J'entends une voix lugubre@@venant du Sud.. @@Nakoruru, @@@@@@@@@@@@l'entends-tu aussi? @@@@@@@@Je pense que la forêt des @@Kamuy souffre.. ## ##Hoho, Nakoruru..@@@@@@@@@@@@Comment vas-tu!?@@Ta quête se déroule bien? @@Fais attention à toi! ##Etrange.. @@@@@@@@@@@@Ce froid est inhabituel.@@@@@@@@@@Je pense que ce courant est @@venu du Sud.@@La nature est-elle en @@@@péril?##La chaleur est revenue mais la@@Nature est toujours triste..## ##Ce froid est étrange..@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Quelle en est l'origine?## ##Tu vas partir,@@@@@@@@ Nakoruru?@@@@Garde courage!## ##Tu entends aussi les pleurs de@@la forêt des Kamuy, @@@@@@@@Nakoruru..@@Que se passe-t-il?## ##Les cris de la forêt ont cessé..Mais ses pleurs continuent..## ##Quel mauvais pressentiment..@@@@@@@@@@@@Le sens-tu aussi, Nakoruru? @@@@@@@@@@Dans la forêt des Kamuy.. ## ##Le vent nous amène les voix de@@la tristesse et de la haine.. @@Elles viennent de si loin.. @@@@Le ressens-tu?@@Une catastrophe va arriver.. ##Je ne dois pas quitter le @@village car ce froid est le mal.Nakoruru, @@@@@@@@@@@@maman dit-elle vrai?## ##Hé, Nakoruru! @@@@ll y a des démons à l'extérieur du village? @@Je ne peux pas sortir? ##@@@@Où père est-il allé alors @@qu'il gèle? @@## @@##@@@@ll a ressenti le mal dans @@la forêt des Kamuy. @@@@@@C'est peut-être pour ça @@qu'il fait si froid.@@## @@##@@@@Grande soeur..@@Père se porte-t-il bien?@@## @@##@@@@ll va bien, Rimururu..@@Père est un guerrier des Kamuy. ## ##@@@@Père@@@@..## ##@@@@Hors de question, Rimururu. @@ll nous a dit de l'attendre!## ##@@@@Ce huissement!@@@@@@@@@@@@Mamahaha!? ##@@@@Que fais-tu là!? @@##@@@@Hé! @@@@@@@@@@Pourquoi es-tu revenu, Mamahaha?@@@@Père!?@@@@@@@@@@@@Que lui est-il arrivé?## ##@@@@Cet objet!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Chichiushi, l'épée des@@guerriers des Kamuy!? ## ##@@@@Gran@@@@de@@@@ soeur@@@@..@@@@@@@@@@Père@@@@@@@@ n'est pas@@@@@@@@..@@## @@##@@@@Rimururu! @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Cesse! ##@@@@Mais..@@@@@@@@@@Mamahaha a quitté son maître..@@@@@@Et ramené Chichiushi..@@## @@##@@@@Ce doit être une méprise, @@Rimururu! @@@@@@@@@@Père@@@@@@@@@@@@ n'est pas@@@@@@@@@@@@ mort!## ##@@@@Grande@@@@@@ soeur..## ##@@@@ll est@@@@@@@@@@@@ en vie!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@C'est une certitude!## ##Comment!? @@@@@@@@@@@@Mamahaha! @@@@@@@@@@@@@@Hum.. @@Part à la recherche de Rametoku. @@@@@@Oui.. ## ##Entends la voix de la nature! @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Elle peut t'accorder son@@pouvoir!## ##Je vois.. @@@@@@@@@@Les Kamuy ont rappellé Rametoku.Na@@ko@@ru@@ru@@..@@@@Aie le coeur@@@@@@@@ pur et @@@@@@@@juste.. @@Tu viens@@@@@@@@ d'hériter@@@@@@@@ du destin@@d'un guerrier.. @@N'oublie pas la @@@@@@@@gentillesse et@@@@@@@@@@ soit à l'écoute de la Nature.## ##Nakoruru, @@@@@@@@tu es une prêtresse dela Nature.. @@Mais aussi une@@@@@@@@ guerrière des@@Kamuy, maintenant.. ## ##Veux-tu te reposer? @@ @@Oui @@Non @@##Reposes-toi bien..##Ne surestime pas tes@@forces! ##Part sans inquiètude. @@ ##Que l'âme des Kamuy te protège@@contre le mal! @@##@@@@Père..@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Père..@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@Grande soeur, @@@@@@@@@@@@que dois-je faire?## ##@@@@Grande soeur! @@@@@@@@Je t'accompagne!@@##@@@@Arrête, Rimururu..@@@@@@@@@@@@Reste avec nos grands-parents.@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Comprends-moi.. ## ##@@@@Mais..@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Entendu.. ## ##@@@@Ne@@@@@@@@@@@@ meurs pas..@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Promets-le, @@@@@@@@@@@@grande soeur..## ##Nakoruru, @@@@@@@@entends la voix des Kamuy.. @@Ta force@@@@@@ doit servir la Nature. ## ##Es-tu un voyageur?@@@@@@@@C'est rare.. ##Nakoruru, tu es de retour!@@Racontes-moi tes aventures! ## ##Ho! Mais c'est Nakoruru!@@Tu vas bien?@@J'espère que tu vas me raconter tes aventures!##Bienvenue à Kamuy Kotan!@@@@N'avez-vous pas froids, @@voyageurs?@@Avez-vous été au dojo à l'Est denotre village? ##Nakoruru, es-tu allée voir le @@vieil entraîneur à l'Est de ce@@village?## ##Nakoruru! Nakoruru! @@Sois@@@@@@ courageuse!## ##Tu n'as pas froid? ##Nakoruru..@@Tu as dit à tes amis de se@@vêtir plus chaudement?@@##Hein!?@@Nakoruru! @@Nakoruru est revenue! @@##Par les Kamuy! Les voyageurs@@sont rares! @@##Comment vas-tu, Nakoruru? @@Ce sont tes amis? @@##Mais c'est Nakoruru!@@Comment te portes-tu? @@Tu es déjà revenue? ## @@##Bienvenue,@@@@ malgré le froid! @@@@Allez à l'Est si vous cherchez àcompléter votre formation!@@##Nous avons tous froid.. @@Nous faisons avec.. @@##Ho!?@@@@@@@@Nakoruru! @@ll est bon de te revoir! @@##Que venez-vous faire, ici? @@##Nakoruru! Tu es revenu! @@Tu as l'air plus brave! @@##Hé, Nakoruru! @@Ces personnes sont tes@@@@@@@@ amis?##Hohohoho! @@@@@@ Nakoruru!@@@@@@@@@@Ca fait plaisir!@@##Nakoruru, @@@@@@@@@@que devrais-je faire? @@@@Ha! Ne t'inquiètes pas! @@@@Termines déjà ta mission! @@##Ca ne fait aucun doute! @@@@@@@@@@@@Je crois en toi, Nakoruru! @@##@@@@@@@@Savais-tu que Rimururu est alléeà Edo?@@@@@@@@@@Je suis si inquiet..@@@@@@@@@@J'espère qu'elle@@@@@@ va bien.. @@##Hohoho, Nakoruru! @@@@Rimu@@ru@@ru? @@@@@@@@@@@@Vous voyagez ensembles? @@Je suis rassurée! @@##Nakoruru, @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ne dis rien.. @@@@Je constate que tu contrôles@@de mieux en mieux ton esprit. @@Rimururu aussi..@@@@Nakoruru! Rimururu! @@Vous devez accomplir votre@@mission!@@##Nakoruru! Rimururu! @@Combattez pour la Nature! @@## @@##Vous êtes venus de bien @@loin..@@Le dojo?@@ll est à l'Est du village,@@après les montagnes. @@##Vous avez aidé Nakoruru,@@ma petite-fille.. @@@@Vous pouvez vous reposer dans @@ce village! @@##Vous avez aidé Rimururu,@@ma petite-fille.. @@@@Vous pouvez vous reposer dans @@ce village! @@##Vous avez aidé mes deux @@petites-filles! @@Je vous suis redevable! @@@@Vous pouvez vous reposer dans @@notre village! @@##Que vos âmes soient protégées @@par les Kamuy! @@##Hoho, ça fait un moment.. @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@J'espère que tu combats toujourspour la @@@@@@Nature@@@@@@ et la Paix.. @@Nakoruru, @@@@@@es-tu allée voir le @@dojo à l'Est du village? @@##Voulez-vous vous reposer@@mes amis? @@Oui @@Non @@##Reposez-vous bien.. @@##Ne vous surestimez pas! @@##Etes-vous allés au dojo à l'Est de notre village? @@##Ne pleure pas,@@@@@@@@ Nakoruru.. @@@@L'âme de Rametoku te guidera@@toujours. ## ##Notre village est si éloigné@@et isolé..@@Vous avez dû faire un long@@voyage..## ##Tu as l'oeil aguerri, @@@@@@@@Nakoruru..Tu deviens@@@@@@@@ si @@@@@@@@adulte..@@## @@##Hohohoho, Nakoruru! @@Comment vas-tu!?@@Tu as l'air splendide!@@## @@##Veux-tu dormir à l'auberge@@de Rewsi? @@Une nuit: @@@@ Or. @@ @@Rester@@Partir@@##Reposes-toi bien! ##Malheureusement, tu n'as pas@@assez d'argent.. ##@@@@Shikuru? ##@@@@Que fais-tu là? @@Tu veux venir aussi? ##@@@@Je serai inquiète pour Kamuy@@Kotan si personne ne reste..@@Emmener Mamahaha. @@Emmener Shikuru. @@##@@@@Désolé, Shikuru.. @@Mais protège le village!## ##@@@@Allez!@@@@@@@@ Viens Shikuru! @@@@@@@@Désolé, Mamahaha..@@Protège le village! ##@@@@Mamahaha! @@##@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Merci.. @@Tu veux te joindre à moi? @@##@@@@Je sais!@@@@@@@@@@Allons le rejoindre!## ##@@@@Je suis désolée,@@@@@@ Mamahaha.. @@Protège le village! @@##@@@@Allez!@@@@@@ Viens, Mamahaha! @@Je suis désolée,@@@@@@ Shikuru..@@@@@@@@@@@@Protège le village! @@##Piiiiiiiii! @@##Kuuuun! @@##@@@@Shikuru? ##@@@@Que fais-tu là? @@Tu veux venir aussi? ##@@@@Je serai inquiète pour Kamuy@@Kotan si personne ne reste. @@Emmener Mamahaha. @@Emmener Shikuru. @@##@@@@Désolé, Shikuru.. @@Mais protège le village!## ##@@@@Allez!@@@@@@@@@@ Viens Shikuru! @@@@@@Désolé, Mamahaha..@@Protège le village! ##@@@@Mamahaha! @@##@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Merci.. @@Tu veux te joindre à moi? @@##@@@@Je suis désolée,@@@@@@ Mamahah. . @@Protège le village! @@##@@@@Allez!@@@@@@ Viens, Mamahaha! @@Je suis désolée,@@@@@@ Shikuru..@@@@@@@@@@@@Protège le village! @@##Piiiiiiiii! @@##Kuuuun! @@##Nakoruru! @@@@@@@@Que fais-tu, ici? @@Ma maison n'est pas de tout @@repos mais faisons affaire! ## ##Nakoruru! @@Tu es revenue d'Edo!@@Tu peux te reposer ici si tu@@es fatiguée! ##Mais c'est toi, Nakoruru! @@Tu es enfin revenue au village! Ca fait plaisir de te revoir! ##Mais c'est toi, Rimururu! @@Tu es enfin revenue au village! Ca fait plaisir de te revoir! ##Nakoruru! Rimururu! @@Mais c'est bien vous! @@Vous êtes enfin revenues au @@village!@@Ca fait plaisir de vous revoir! ##Faites bonne route! ##A bientôt! ##Que les Kamuy te protègent! ##Voulez-vous vous reposer? @@ @@Oui @@Non @@##Nakoruru! Rimururu! @@Vous êtes revenues! @@Mais où étiez-vous!? @@##Nakoruru! Rimururu! @@Cette personne est votre@@@@@@@@ ami? ##Rimururu! @@@@Ces personnes sont tes@@@@@@@@amis!?##ll est interdit d'entrer dans @@la forêt au sud-ouest.@@Rametoku. ##Des démons se trouvent à@@l'extérieur.@@Le port du Sud permet d'aller @@à Edo.## ##Bienvenue à Kamuy Kotan.@@@@Franchissez les 2 montagnes à @@l'Est pour gagner le littoral.##

@ = Do not replace (can be used to store information like the number of the avatar of the character who is talking, etc.)
## = Message separator

lolifoxgirl
02-15-2016, 10:58 PM
Holy shit nice work.

Digmac
02-16-2016, 12:09 AM
Holy shit nice work.

Congrats loli on 1,000 posts :)

Hope work on this continues. Keep it up guys! Great progress so far.

darknezz19
02-16-2016, 01:14 AM
Nice progress Apocalypse, good job.

xsq
02-16-2016, 04:43 AM
Hope you keep it going, it would be hot as hell if you did this!

Fakk2
02-16-2016, 05:57 AM
I think it's a damn shame that the finished project was kept private by the person that started it all, due to being a greedy bitch. I find it even more of a shame that SNK themselves did not bring this game to the states or Europe and give it the translation it needed, despite the many letters I send them, and phone calls I made, asking for it to happen. :(

At least we have someone that might one day finish this, and bring the English version to the public, because I found the game to be an extremely beautiful looking RPG, and it is quite playable on the CDZ, however, I would not want to play this on the original NeoCD for obvious reasons. Thankfully, I believe this game took advantage on the extra cache of the CDZ console, which speeds up loading screens in between map, and fights incredibly IIRC..

I will keep an eye on your project, and I will cross my fingers that one day we will get to play this game in English as it should have been made a long time ago. The game seems really nice.

GoodTofuFriday
02-16-2016, 04:28 PM
like loli offered if you need any help on busy work im more than happy to help.

Apocalypse
02-16-2016, 07:43 PM
like loli offered if you need any help on busy work im more than happy to help.
Thank you very much.
I've already made scripts for pretty much all the tasks, all the tiles and texts are decoded now, I've got a script to re-inject tiles and texts so basically "only" the process of translating French to English is left (and possibly editing the title screen to display it in English and other few things I'll check later).

Xian Xi
02-16-2016, 08:09 PM
I think it's a damn shame that the finished project was kept private by the person that started it all, due to being a greedy bitch. I find it even more of a shame that SNK themselves did not bring this game to the states or Europe and give it the translation it needed, despite the many letters I send them, and phone calls I made, asking for it to happen. :(

At least we have someone that might one day finish this, and bring the English version to the public, because I found the game to be an extremely beautiful looking RPG, and it is quite playable on the CDZ, however, I would not want to play this on the original NeoCD for obvious reasons. Thankfully, I believe this game took advantage on the extra cache of the CDZ console, which speeds up loading screens in between map, and fights incredibly IIRC..

I will keep an eye on your project, and I will cross my fingers that one day we will get to play this game in English as it should have been made a long time ago. The game seems really nice.

I wouldn't say it was greed, he did it in his free time and people kept nagging him to hurry up then they decided to name call and other immature shit. You can blame those assholes for it not being released. I would have done the same.

Apocalypse
02-17-2016, 07:55 PM
I've tested all my tools and I can now announce they are fully functional:

So far I've translated ~4% of the in-game texts. I had to use SMS language sometimes (u for you, r for are).
It might be too early to ask for beta testers.

lolifoxgirl
02-17-2016, 08:05 PM
You know where to look when its time to test. You are a machine apocalypse. Bravo.

Shuri
02-17-2016, 08:13 PM
How long is the entire script? I'm a native french speaker, I could help!

xsq
02-18-2016, 06:41 AM
:drool_2:

Apocalypse
02-19-2016, 01:10 AM
How long is the entire script? I'm a native french speaker, I could help!
Thousands of lines. I didn't expect it to be so long.
Are you familiar with hex editing?

[EDIT]
I've never played the game and don't own a CD system anymore but it's a bit sad I'm spoiling the game for myself.
There's plenty of surprises in the texts!
I've killed the climax...

wyndcrosser
02-19-2016, 10:01 AM
apoc, I worked briefly on the org. japanese one, I think I had a post on here. I just didn't know japanese enough to make it work lol. If you need help hex editing etc. let me know. Also, I would investigate VWF, Romhacking.net can assist. There are probably a few peeps on there that way this game, so they would willing to help.

Apocalypse
02-23-2016, 07:07 PM
A huge amount of time is needed to complete the job.
I don't see much interest here...
Added a poll to see what's people mind about it.
I've estimated over 100 hours of work are still needed in order to be able to share an almost fully playable version...

lolifoxgirl
02-23-2016, 07:40 PM
The forum has been kind of slow, don't worry though. I am sure we can drum up some interest if thats what you want.

wyndcrosser
02-23-2016, 09:27 PM
A huge amount of time is needed to complete the job.
I don't see much interest here...
Added a poll to see what's people mind about it.
I've estimated over 100 hours of work are still needed in order to be able to share an almost fully playable version...

What exactly do you need help w?

Apocalypse
02-23-2016, 11:05 PM
The forum has been kind of slow, don't worry though. I am sure we can drum up some interest if thats what you want.
It's just it takes so much time and efforts. I just wonder if it worth it...

What exactly do you need help w?
Editing tiles from the title screen to display it in English.
Then I will need someone to correct typos, etc.

lolifoxgirl
02-23-2016, 11:21 PM
Considering all the previous fauled attempts a lot of people are skeptical that it can be done. I have faith in you!

kuze
02-23-2016, 11:33 PM
This is awesome work you've put in here, your efforts are very much appreciated.

Apocalypse
02-23-2016, 11:57 PM
Maybe Xian Xi was right I should accept donation considering the amount of work needed (not necessarily money, I need to rebuild my SNK collection after what happened during my last move...).
lolifoxgirl has already received the game with 10% translated to test it.
In order to prove this isn't a scam here is the link (just the .bin part) for those who'd like to test it:
http://www.filedropper.com/ssrpg
I know there is a lot of mistakes (misspelling, typos, strange spaces between words) but hey, I do that in my free time and it's the first demo version released.

NeoEsZ
02-23-2016, 11:59 PM
Yes Apocalypse, many people want this and it will be much appreciated for years to come. I hope you can find more people to help do heavy lifting on this. I check this thread everyday for updates.

lolifoxgirl
02-24-2016, 01:15 AM
My boss went out of town and stuck me with extra work, but you can count on me for script editing.

Valt C
02-24-2016, 08:41 PM
Keep up the good work Apocalypse! I'm checking this thread everyday, believe me! (the pc2neo might do wonders to test on real HW!).

Apocalypse
02-25-2016, 12:33 AM
Thanks all for you support.
I continue the translation, few % a day...

xsq
02-25-2016, 04:48 AM
I too would like to encourage you to keep on doing this.

What SNK stuff are you looking for? I have a few MVS carts I might donate in appreciation of your work...

Apocalypse
02-25-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks!

What SNK stuff are you looking for? I have a few MVS carts I might donate in appreciation of your work...
Pretty much everything considering all my AES & MVS collection was lost except 1 MVS game (Top Hunter, funny enough I used to have it in both format and it was my test game for the AES to MVS converter) and a 1 slot.
I've also bought a 6 slot cab recently (with the money from the insurance).

wyndcrosser
02-29-2016, 02:59 PM
The title screen lies at "CHIP00B2.SPR".

ShootTheCore
02-29-2016, 04:15 PM

I am willing to contribute either some cash or carts to keep you motivated as well. Maybe a Patreon?

Apocalypse
02-29-2016, 09:39 PM
The title screen lies at "CHIP00B2.SPR".

Well done. You can keep all of them used to display "BUSHIDO" and modify the ones saying "Histoires de" to display "Stories of"

I am willing to contribute either some cash or carts to keep you motivated as well. Maybe a Patreon?
Thanks. Carts are welcome ;)

Progress so far:
Locate and extract tiles used to display texts: 100%
Locate and extract pointers used to display texts: 100%
Create a tile editor: 100%
Create a tool to re-inject modified tiles: 100%
Create a tool to re-inject pointers: 100%

Translation:
Introduction: 100%
Title screen: 0%
Presentation: 95%
Menus: 10%
In-game texts: 15%
Battle texts: 0%

lolifoxgirl is the beta tester
wyndcrosser will work on the title screen and will beta test too
Thank you guys!

wyndcrosser
03-01-2016, 09:17 PM
Apoc, who did the font? On my NEoGeoCD, it's all grey, I can't really read it.

Apocalypse
03-01-2016, 09:18 PM
Apoc, who did the font? On my NEoGeoCD, it's all grey, I can't really read it.
If you're talking of the Bubble Bobble style font then it's me...
I know it's not really legible. It was more to test my tile editor and be able to differentiate easily modified tiles.
There are only 16 colours per palette and the palette used for texts contains 5 different reds, 7 different greens plus black, white and grey. Not many choices...
As I said to lollifoxgirl, I'll probably re-inject the font LNB used at the end of the project.

There is something strange I noticed in the texts, very few sentences are already in English...
Why? It's like LNB used an alpha version of the English game...

Also, I've built an estimate, if I work on it one hour every day, I'll finish the in-game texts translation in 3 months.
So be patient, some have been waiting for it for years so few more months is no big deal.

max 330 mega
03-01-2016, 09:37 PM
i definitely want to see this game finally translated, please keep up the work, and donating some money is something i would be willing to do!

wyndcrosser
03-01-2016, 09:53 PM
If you're talking of the Bubble Bobble style font then it's me...
I know it's not really legible. It was more to test my tile editor and be able to differentiate easily modified tiles.
There are only 16 colours per palette and the palette used for texts contains 5 different reds, 7 different greens plus black, white and grey. Not many choices...
As I said to lollifoxgirl, I'll probably re-inject the font LNB used at the end of the project.

There is something strange I noticed in the texts, very few sentences are already in English...
Why? It's like LNB used an alpha version of the English game...

Also, I've built an estimate, if I work on it one hour every day, I'll finish the in-game texts translation in 3 months.
So be patient, some have been waiting for it for years so few more months is no big deal.

Np, yea that font he used was good. Be my guest.

jbeedham
03-01-2016, 10:52 PM
This is awesome. I'm a big Samurai fan and I've always wanted to play the RPG. I got a CDZ and could help test. I've only used legit games in my system so I would need some instructions on how to burn the CD-R's properly to play on the system.

Apocalypse
03-02-2016, 02:20 PM
I would need some instructions on how to burn the CD-R's properly to play on the system.
You've got to apply a patch of some sort to the ISO cause CD-Zs have an additional protection.
But it's no big deal, just few bytes to modify in a PROG file IIRC.
You'll find plenty of info online.

And thanks for the support!

fluxcore
03-03-2016, 01:41 AM
I didn't realise it was you doing SSRPG translation, Apocalypse! I've been interested in playing this game for ages... keen to help out however I can (proof-reading, hex editing).

Now, where was that CDZ auction on trademe... (wouldn't you rather switch to hacking the Saturn port? :D )

Apocalypse
03-03-2016, 02:02 AM
I didn't realise it was you doing SSRPG translation, Apocalypse! I've been interested in playing this game for ages... keen to help out however I can (proof-reading, hex editing).
Yeah I've got few projects on the go! :lolz:

Now, where was that CDZ auction on trademe... (wouldn't you rather switch to hacking the Saturn port? :D )
Don't tell me nobody has ever translated SS RPG for the Saturn!?
I'll stick with the NGCD version for now. Graphics are way better. ;)

Apocalypse
03-03-2016, 07:31 PM
In-game texts: 20%

Apocalypse
03-10-2016, 09:53 PM
In-game texts: 30% (end of scenario 1?)

kuze
03-10-2016, 10:04 PM
:buttrock:

aha2940
03-10-2016, 10:05 PM
Any way that we, who know zero about programming and less than that about Japanese, could help?

Apocalypse
03-10-2016, 10:09 PM
Any way that we, who know zero about programming and less than that about Japanese, could help?
Not much I'm afraid...
But thanks for your offer.

Black IcE
03-10-2016, 11:26 PM
I can't contribute much other then moral support, but I am excited to see this moving forward. Keep up the great work. Your efforts are appreciated.

Arcade Magician
03-11-2016, 01:19 AM
I can't contribute much other then moral support, but I am excited to see this moving forward. Keep up the great work. Your efforts are appreciated.
Same here. Amazing work!

wyndcrosser
03-11-2016, 09:29 AM
Hey apoc, i haven't had time to look at the intro due to work. Have you changed the font yet?

Apocalypse
03-13-2016, 02:49 PM
Hey, no I haven't changed the font yet. I want to be able to identify old/new tiles.
What if I use the same font LNB used but with a different colour (but there isn't many choices in the palette)?

ErFava
03-14-2016, 06:38 PM
Nice work man.... i suppose much ppl waiting for this :)

bloodhokuto
03-22-2016, 09:15 PM
Appreciate your work on this!

Apocalypse
03-22-2016, 10:38 PM
Hey apoc, i haven't had time to look at the intro due to work. Have you changed the font yet?
I did.
I just re-injected the font LNB used with one difference: the edge is black instead of grey. Again it's just for me to be able to make the difference between old and new tiles.

Is it OK now?

xsq
03-23-2016, 09:05 AM
looking good, like it better than with grey border!

donluca
03-23-2016, 09:24 AM
looking good, like it better than with grey border!

Agreed.

HornheaDD
03-23-2016, 01:16 PM
Hello, I'm new here. I dont know how to vote on the Poll up top but I would vote a resounding YES! I've been waiting for something like this for ages. The previous person that did it I guess gave up, or something. I looked up the youtube videos and people are saying he lost his work in a computer crash or something. From what I can tell in 4 pages you are making excellent progress, Apocalypse! Thank you so much for your hard work. I hope someday we can play this in English.

I would glady pay for the translation, providing it was actually finished haha

Apocalypse
03-23-2016, 04:25 PM
Hey thanks.
So let's keep the black edge!

Rot
04-01-2016, 04:30 AM
Bump...

xROTx

Apocalypse
04-01-2016, 04:50 PM
Bump...

xROTx
No progress sorry, I worked mostly on the AES to MVS converter.

HornheaDD
04-04-2016, 01:45 PM
I know it's been mentioned but if there is busy work to be distributed about, please let us know. I'm not a programmer/hacker, etc but I'd still love to help.

Apocalypse
04-04-2016, 04:40 PM
I know it's been mentioned but if there is busy work to be distributed about, please let us know. I'm not a programmer/hacker, etc but I'd still love to help.
Thanks. At this stage of the project the most part of the job is the translation so unless you speak French...

HornheaDD
04-05-2016, 01:36 PM
I don't, but I can use Google Translate! haha

Apocalypse
04-05-2016, 04:35 PM
I don't, but I can use Google Translate! haha

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?263968-Overclocking&p=3989266&highlight=#post3989266

No good

Apocalypse
04-07-2016, 11:44 PM
In-game texts: 35%

greedostick
04-08-2016, 01:04 AM
Do you have the script?

I think pulling some funds together, and paying a french translator/university tutor, would be a pretty realistic option. I would think the text can't be more than a days worth of work, that is if there is a script printed out. Even if it was just screenshots of every single piece of text, compiled in a binder.

edit:

just realize you speak french.

If there is really that much text, could this still be an option? I just wouldn't think there would be that much text in a samurai shodown RPG. I can't imagine the story being that deep.

Apocalypse
04-09-2016, 08:08 PM
Do you have the script?
Of course I do.

I think pulling some funds together, and paying a french translator/university tutor, would be a pretty realistic option. I would think the text can't be more than a days worth of work, that is if there is a script printed out. Even if it was just screenshots of every single piece of text, compiled in a binder.
The text represents thousands of lines! More than few days of work.
Plus you have many constraints:
- length of text: you can't just translate the text, it must fit in the same space as the OG text
- special characters: the script contains both visible characters for the player and invisible characters used to separate text screens, display a specific avatar above the text etc. These characters must be kept at the exact same position.

edit:

just realize you speak french.

If there is really that much text, could this still be an option? I just wouldn't think there would be that much text in a samurai shodown RPG. I can't imagine the story being that deep.
Same here, I didn't expect the text to be that long!
Basically you have 6 different characters and 2 scenarios, that's 12 different stories. Even in the shops, sellers can speak differently depending on the character you chose (although it doesn't really have an impact on the story but I guess it's because in Japanese people don't speak the same with men and women, etc.).
And the story is pretty deep yes, I won't spoil the game but be prepared to travel a lot!

Yoshi
04-09-2016, 08:29 PM
The complexity is appreciated, as are your efforts to finally get this translated for us.

Hellfromabove
04-11-2016, 04:26 PM
This is going to be great once it's done. Thanks for all your hard work!

NeoEsZ
04-11-2016, 05:01 PM
This is my most anticipated RPG of 2016.

I remember telling Deuce how much I was looking forward to his translation, and I even offered to donate some money through Paypal. I remember him responding to the effect of "eh, temper your expectations, it's not very good."

HornheaDD
04-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Honestly, I'd be fine with an imperfect translation, as long as it got the point/story across.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Apocalypse
04-14-2016, 11:02 PM
In-game texts: 40%

Razoola
04-15-2016, 03:43 AM
Nice!

Hellfromabove
04-15-2016, 03:48 AM
Honestly, I'd be fine with an imperfect translation, as long as it got the point/story across.

Why do it at all if you're not going for perfection the first time around? This is a very time consuming project, it wouldn't make sense to not complete his project.

In-game texts: 40%

Awesome!

lolifoxgirl
04-15-2016, 04:20 AM
Dude is on fire. If only there was a no encounter hack to make checking faster...

HornheaDD
04-15-2016, 05:18 PM
Why do it at all if you're not going for perfection the first time around? This is a very time consuming project, it wouldn't make sense to not complete his project.

Awesome!
I said imperfect. Not incomplete.

Jonathan32
04-17-2016, 11:46 PM
Thanks for all your hard work. I have a suggestion but I don't know if it would be looked down upon. But Deuce has put the whole translated game up on youtube. maybe you could watch his videos for the parts that are giving you trouble with fitting in the correct amount of text and see how he fitted it in there. I don't really know how any of the technical stuff works but like I said its just a suggestion. Not sure if that would help you or not. Good luck though and thanks again for your work!!

Hellfromabove
04-18-2016, 12:07 AM
I said imperfect. Not incomplete.

I understood what you were saying.

Wyeth
04-18-2016, 01:12 AM
Thank you!!! This is very exciting:)

CORY
04-18-2016, 01:35 AM
Thanks. At this stage of the project the most part of the job is the translation so unless you speak French...

I can help you out bro, just let me know.

Hellfromabove
04-18-2016, 02:51 AM

Where's the beer emoticon when you need it? Well, pretend there's one here.

This one's for you for throwing your hat in the ring to help :).

Can't fuckin' wait to play this!

BlindIo
04-18-2016, 08:36 AM
Voted Yes in the Poll and revived my old account to say:

This is awesome news!
This game has been on my translation wishlist for ages! Thank You Apocalypse!

Apocalypse
04-18-2016, 03:54 PM
PM sent :buttrock:

xsq
04-23-2016, 08:55 AM
Where's the beer emoticon when you need it?

This is a baller forum. Add a gif.

http://i.giphy.com/AfxBmVyVlFrb2.gif

mastamuzz
04-27-2016, 10:06 AM
Thank you apocalypse for taking this project, I don't have much to offer help wise but if there is anything I can help with I would gladly do it, hardware I have the 3 models with unibios if anything needs to be tested also an original copy of the game for imaging and patching.

I can only dream! If this can be completed and with the magical hands of Raz this could become a cart translated game ahhhh day dreaming! I hope he could get interested in such project.

xsq
04-27-2016, 11:20 AM
If this can be completed and with the magical hands of Raz this could become a cart translated game ahhhh day dreaming! I hope he could get interested in such project.
let's not get ahead of ourselves... but holy fuck that would be awesome....

pulstar
04-27-2016, 12:21 PM
let's not get ahead of ourselves... but holy fuck that would be awesome....

As long as we could save on a memory card (or NeoSaveMasta etc) then it would be absolutely awesome; without it it'll be broken. Anybody have an idea of the size of the saves on this game?

Azra113
04-27-2016, 03:15 PM
I also speak French, Je peux t'aider a traduire.

Apocalypse
04-27-2016, 03:55 PM
I can only dream! If this can be completed and with the magical hands of Raz this could become a cart translated game ahhhh day dreaming! I hope he could get interested in such project.
Funny you say that. I said to fluxcore few weeks ago that if we manage to get a good result I might think of making it a cart.
My only concern is about music.

I also speak French, Je peux t'aider a traduire.
PM sent ;)

lolifoxgirl
04-27-2016, 04:22 PM
With proper effort, the music can be done!

Razoola
04-27-2016, 06:49 PM
It will need a special cart. A cart with RAM in place or sprites, fix, P2, Z80 and samples. Then a flash storage device where the 68k banks into and get data from to load into each space as needed. Basically a NeoGeo CD system spec on a cart that plugs into the AES. This in my view is the best way and only real way, trying to do what I did with crossed swords 2 would be futile due to the ammount of data on the CD and lack of spec on the MVS/AES. The cart needs to have 0xFE bank looking into the flash data (most data on the CD disc). One bank would need to be RAM also.

Much data would still need altering to get it to work but much easier this way. The loading would be instant given the size of files in question so it would never feel like one is waiting for the game peices to load.

lolifoxgirl
04-27-2016, 07:14 PM
Please let this happen.

HMG
04-27-2016, 07:56 PM
It will need a special cart. A cart with RAM in place or sprites, fix, P2, Z80 and samples. Then a flash storage device where the 68k banks into and get data from to load into each space as needed. Basically a NeoGeo CD system spec on a cart that plugs into the AES. This in my view is the best way and only real way, trying to do what I did with crossed swords 2 would be futile due to the ammount of data on the CD and lack of spec on the MVS/AES. The cart needs to have 0xFE bank looking into the flash data (most data on the CD disc). One bank would need to be RAM also.

Much data would still need altering to get it to work but much easier this way. The loading would be instant given the size of files in question so it would never feel like one is waiting for the game peices to load.

I take it, in a way, SS RPG has tons of 68k code, YM2610 samples and sprites? And it also loads data of custom assortments into the NGCD's RAM? So I guess it'd be like an NES game using CHR-RAM, instead of a ROM chip for the graphics.

If it's just an issue of tons of data and requiring RAM instead of ROM, you could patch in code so the 68k/Z80 copies whatever SS RPG needs from the large ROM chips into the various RAM chips, or does the 68k/Z80 not have that kind of access on the cartridge buses?

Hellfromabove
04-27-2016, 08:25 PM
Please let this happen.

Would be awesome. This game is the only NGCD exclusive not converted to MVS/ AES yet, right?

xsq
04-28-2016, 04:37 AM
This game is the only NGCD exclusive not converted to MVS/ AES yet, right?
AFAIK:
- Zintrick is only available without music.
- Mahjong Final Romance 2 hasn't been translated, also has no music.
- There's other bits you only get on the NGCD like "ADK World" (mini games), "Neo Geo CD Special" (demos), "King of Fighters '96 Collection" (character profiles, sound samples and interviews in Japanese), Metal Slug 1 CD extras (training mode), Turf Masters additional course etc.

Rot
04-29-2016, 02:12 PM
I like this thread... hence, I will support it...

APOC... you need help... let me know man...

xROTx

NeoTurfMasta
04-29-2016, 02:31 PM

I love this idea, a cart capable of playing NeoCD files. I'm so down for helping on this.

Apocalypse
05-01-2016, 04:23 PM
Great news (I hope): the translation team is now composed of CORY_POOOOOOOOON!, Azra113 and me!

kuze
05-01-2016, 07:25 PM
Nice!! You guys rock!

It would be so awesome if the hardware guys put together a CD MVS cart for this too!

xsq
05-02-2016, 03:59 AM
Great news (I hope): the translation team is now composed of CORY_POOOOOOOOON!, Azra113 and me!
go go power rangers....

Fakk2
05-17-2016, 09:19 AM
I would love to see this finally happen one day, and if there is anything I can do to help, I would be happy to do so. Also, if what Razoola says is possible, I would also do whatever I can to help him make the AES carts along with Jeff Kurtz, free of charge of course. Long live the Neo-Geo!

Liquid Snake
05-17-2016, 11:55 AM
long live neo geo

Hellfromabove
05-17-2016, 01:49 PM
Any status updates on the project?

famicommander
05-17-2016, 03:56 PM
I'm so down for this. Would buy a CD copy or an MVS cart. Possibly both.

Apocalypse
05-17-2016, 04:10 PM
Any status updates on the project?
Unfortunately Cory has lost his work due to his computer being temperamental...
Azra has sent me a part of his work, I will have a look.

Hellfromabove
05-17-2016, 06:43 PM

http://mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Dr.-Who.gif

Dear God no... I hope you guys are able to recover...

HMG
05-17-2016, 07:12 PM
It never fails, computers always decide to crap out once sensitive data is involved.

My condolences...

xsq
05-18-2016, 02:39 AM
:(

Fakk2
05-18-2016, 03:29 AM
Wow, what is it about getting Sam Sho RPG in English that makes this such a pain in the ass? I mean, it's like a curse at this point. I begged SNK back in the day, (1996ish), to make the English translation for the game and bring it to America, and they told me it would be too much work for them, and would not sell well in America anyway due to the Neo CD just being ignored in the US mainly. Since that time I have felt that it would never happen, and each time I hear of someone making a real English translation for the game, I get excited just to find out the person making the patch is doing it only for himself, or that the translation is too hard for the second chapter, or the project is abandoned due to people getting upset due to constant beggars asking for the patch, or that it's only possible in another language, and the list goes on and on.

It's times like this that I wish I could just do this myself, as I have the time, and had I the knowledge to get this done for everyone, I would just do it, and work nonstop to get it done in a timely manner. I think that in the end, even doing this for free, I would be pleased with the end result knowing that so many would be happy to play the game on their NeoCD, and CDZ consoles for the first time ever in English format.

wyndcrosser
05-18-2016, 06:27 AM
Wow, what is it about getting Sam Sho RPG in English that makes this such a pain in the ass? I mean, it's like a curse at this point. I begged SNK back in the day, (1996ish), to make the English translation for the game and bring it to America, and they told me it would be too much work for them, and would not sell well in America anyway due to the Neo CD just being ignored in the US mainly. Since that time I have felt that it would never happen, and each time I hear of someone making a real English translation for the game, I get excited just to find out the person making the patch is doing it only for himself, or that the translation is too hard for the second chapter, or the project is abandoned due to people getting upset due to constant beggars asking for the patch, or that it's only possible in another language, and the list goes on and on.

It's times like this that I wish I could just do this myself, as I have the time, and had I the knowledge to get this done for everyone, I would just do it, and work nonstop to get it done in a timely manner. I think that in the end, even doing this for free, I would be pleased with the end result knowing that so many would be happy to play the game on their NeoCD, and CDZ consoles for the first time ever in English format.

Hacking and/or translating is hard, especially Japanese to English. Character placement and overall translating is a bitch. I have many projects open BC I don't have a translator, just myself, w rudimentary Japanese knowledge, so I move on until I can find someone. The French release helped a lot, but they also do a lot of nasty tile work, which makes a simply script dump impossible , see star ocean for GBC. That was done by the same guy.

Fakk2
05-18-2016, 08:01 AM
Hacking and/or translating is hard, especially Japanese to English. Character placement and overall translating is a bitch. I have many projects open BC I don't have a translator, just myself, w rudimentary Japanese knowledge, so I move on until I can find someone. The French release helped a lot, but they also do a lot of nasty tile work, which makes a simply script dump impossible , see star ocean for GBC. That was done by the same guy.

I see, thanks for the reply. :)

fluxcore
05-18-2016, 03:01 PM
Don't get disheartened, guys, Cory was just helping out with translation. It's Apoc's hard drive dying we need to worry about...

You are backing this shit up, right, Apoc? :D

Fakk2
05-18-2016, 03:21 PM
Don't get disheartened, guys, Cory was just helping out with translation. It's Apoc's hard drive dying we need to worry about...

I was just thinking about that, I mean even if the HDD is on the way out the door, if you try over and over to copy or move the data to another HDD, there should be a possibility to save the progress. I have had a few HDD's die on me over the years, and I sat there somethings for a few days, trying to get it working, and move the data over. It seemed that the smaller the files were to move over, the more it began to move them, until I just moved one file at a time until it got to the point that I could move more and more until I was able to save everything to another HDD. I think only one time I lost everything on an HDD, and that was when the laptop fell off the table and hit the ground while it was playing a video, which made the head hit the platter and it was damaged permanently. All the others were able to be recovered.

Apoc might be able to get it recovered if he sends it to a pro with a clean room that can do it for him by swapping out the HDD with another working one, and move the data over for a fee, but it would be costly. Just a thought. If the work your losing is extensive, like 10-12 months of non stop work, then it might be worth the asking price. ?

Apocalypse
05-18-2016, 05:28 PM

My HDD is fine (for the moment :)) and yes I backup my work (It's an habit I have to systematically save devs I make. History has proven I wasn't paranoid for no reason :lolz:).
I just want to mention that this kind of project is a black hole concerning time. I sank so many hours in it...

CORY
05-18-2016, 05:49 PM

I'm going to list some games for sale later today and buy a new PC this week end. Those Android Hex editors are freaking garbage :(

Hellfromabove
05-18-2016, 07:30 PM
I'm going to list some games for sale later today and buy a new PC this week end. Those Android Hex editors are freaking garbage :(

Damn Cory, why not start taking donations before selling off some games. I'm pretty sure some of us here would gladly pitch in since this is for a good cause :).

Azra113
05-25-2016, 01:48 PM
I am busy with work but I still put in some work in it every chance I get.
It is a lot of text to go through...

xsq
06-08-2016, 07:20 AM
2 week bump - still want this :glee:

Apocalypse
06-08-2016, 04:20 PM
2 week bump - still want this :glee:
I don't give up. ;)
I'm just really busy in my personal and professional life!

HornheaDD
06-08-2016, 04:30 PM
I don't give up. ;)
All good man. You've demonstrated more progress than the other guy had in like 10 years lol.

xsq
06-09-2016, 03:39 AM
I don't give up. ;)
Sure, take your time. I just didn't want this thread to get lost/forgotten and show my support.

xsq
06-23-2016, 03:46 AM
how's it going fellas... any updates?

DaveGeorge
06-30-2016, 03:38 PM
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for this one. Samsho RPG in english has been my wet dream since the 90's. But I'm in no hurry, have I already waited 20 years or so, there's no problem waiting a few more months (or years?).

Keep up the good work guys!

Hellfromabove
06-30-2016, 07:05 PM
Sure, take your time. I just didn't want this thread to get lost/forgotten and show my support.

how's it going fellas... any updates?

:keke: Someone's just itching to get their hands on this!

wyndcrosser
06-30-2016, 09:11 PM
I use Dropbox for my translations, saved my ass and they do versioning on files. GL

Jonathan32
07-20-2016, 05:04 PM
Bump....I don't want this thread to get lost over time. Was wondering have you guys been able to make anymore progress with the translation? Also if there was any kind of donations needed to help make this project happen? I would gladly be willing to help contribute to this as I've been wanting an English version to play for years now just like everyone else. Thanks.

xsq
07-21-2016, 11:53 AM
I don't want this thread to get lost over time.
http://i.imgur.com/pKuUPTw.jpg

mastamuzz
07-31-2016, 06:23 PM
Rebump and refresh!

Thank you guys for the hard work!!!!

Hellfromabove
08-03-2016, 12:42 AM
Rebump and refresh!

Thank you guys for the hard work!!!!

Was just about to do the same. Hopefully there's an update soon. I think about this translation every now and then lol.

Thebonuslevel
08-15-2016, 04:55 AM
Who is the one stick in the mud who voted no?

hyper
08-15-2016, 02:05 PM
probly Deuce

fluxcore
08-15-2016, 02:15 PM
I had a chat to Apoc and he's super busy with work overseas at the moment so things are currently 'paused'. He's not one to give up on things though, so don't worry. Might not get any progress for another month or two though.

The Legendary LoneWolf
08-22-2016, 04:37 PM
I am baffled on who done these English videos

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hDsXCeHg7Zc

HornheaDD
08-23-2016, 11:58 AM
That's Deuce. The first guy that said he was going to do the translation but never released anything and then claims he lost it all.

The Legendary LoneWolf
08-26-2016, 07:28 PM
That's Deuce. The first guy that said he was going to do the translation but never released anything and then claims he lost it all.

Wow what a cunt

HornheaDD
08-28-2016, 12:09 PM
Wow what a cunt

For real. He lorded it over people for years and refused to produce anything because it "wasnt perfect" or whatever. Im not exactly sure. I think he had some familial issues as well which is understandable to a certain degree. But after a while he just started saying he wasn't ever going to release it because he didn't feel like it or something.

I just noticed that comments are disabled on the series of videos. Last I was on there, there were several comments about why it was't released and he was just arguing against anyone who was commenting on it.

The Legendary LoneWolf
08-30-2016, 09:28 AM
For real. He lorded it over people for years and refused to produce anything because it "wasnt perfect" or whatever. Im not exactly sure. I think he had some familial issues as well which is understandable to a certain degree. But after a while he just started saying he wasn't ever going to release it because he didn't feel like it or something.

I just noticed that comments are disabled on the series of videos. Last I was on there, there were several comments about why it was't released and he was just arguing against anyone who was commenting on it.

its safe to say that asshole better never come back here again

GohanX
08-30-2016, 09:30 AM
He came back to make a sales thread a few weeks ago then promptly disappeared again.

Jonathan32
09-18-2016, 04:32 PM
bump

DaveGeorge
09-29-2016, 12:49 PM
I know you guys have your hands full. So just a small bump.

HornheaDD
10-13-2016, 11:45 AM
Last login was in June :(

Hope he's ok.

NeoEsZ
10-21-2016, 12:52 AM
Another bump. But also a reminder to you that if you bail on this or want to take an extended break, you totally should and are still welcome back here on the forums. Don't be afraid to come back and chill with us!

xsq
11-24-2016, 07:57 AM
so... any news?

dragonpt
11-24-2016, 12:35 PM
Small bump ...

keep the good work

Hope everything is fine

HornheaDD
01-31-2017, 03:56 PM

AlohaSnackbar
02-01-2017, 02:09 AM
The Samurai Shodown RPG curse strikes again?

HornheaDD
02-02-2017, 08:29 PM

Granted, its only been 6 months since 'clypse logged in. Dude could be busy as fuck with life and stuff. Nothing else, this is not _anything_ like Deuce's lagtime. Im just... concerned, at this point lol

wingzrow
02-02-2017, 10:02 PM
Would it be impossible to get a MVS conversion of this game eventually? I know crossed swords 2 did, & that was also a Neo Geo CD exclusive.

HornheaDD
02-03-2017, 12:11 PM
I'm not certain, but didn't crossed swords 2 end up using music from CS1 due to the size of the audio? I'm not sure if that would be possible with Sam sho rpg

hyper
02-03-2017, 12:59 PM
He came back to make a sales thread a few weeks ago then promptly disappeared again.for CIB dreamcast YOU FIEND

he didn't deliver tho

xsq
02-24-2017, 07:54 AM

Ren-chan
02-24-2017, 08:07 AM
About this game the only work I am seeing a small update is a spanish translation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Hbhdpxmu8

As you may see, it's from a week ago. Unfortunately for you guys, it's not an english translation :(

lolifoxgirl
02-24-2017, 10:43 AM
I can hang with spanish.

Ren-chan
02-24-2017, 11:26 AM
Lolipop! <3

HornheaDD
02-24-2017, 02:56 PM
Is that spanish from Mexico or Spanish, as in from Spain?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Ren-chan
02-25-2017, 05:06 AM
Is that spanish from Mexico or Spanish, as in from Spain?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

From Spain afaik.

aha2940
02-25-2017, 12:55 PM
From Spain afaik.

Oh, it's absolutely from Spain, we in Latin America do not use "vosotros" as shown in the video.

HornheaDD
02-26-2017, 07:23 PM
Oh, it's absolutely from Spain, we in Latin America do not use "vosotros" as shown in the video.

That's what I was thinking. I remember that conjugation from my spanish class in high school. Mexican spanish never uses those things.

Ren-chan
03-08-2017, 04:03 PM
The guy doing the translation posted some more images and said the Amakusa episode is nearly complete.

http://i.imgur.com/JrWc1Xw.png

http://i.imgur.com/FTFl9Rt.png

http://i.imgur.com/t9QCH6l.png

gtmartini
03-09-2017, 02:33 PM
That is good. For me Japanese language is the only problem with the Neo Geo. Almost everything is in Japanese. I hope to play SSRPG one day, but no way in Japanese.

HornheaDD
03-10-2017, 10:07 AM
The guy doing the translation posted some more images and said the Amakusa episode is nearly complete.

http://i.imgur.com/JrWc1Xw.png

http://i.imgur.com/FTFl9Rt.png

http://i.imgur.com/t9QCH6l.png

OK, so - I have a question. Part of the issue with translation to English was the way the alphabet fit into where the Japanese characters were, right? If someone is translating this to Castelan Spanish, then wouldn't it be simple to create a translation to English since all of the 'work' with character placement is already done? I'm no Translater, or ROM hacker, etc so I could totally be talking out of my ass. But could it be that simple after the Spanish translation is done?

aha2940
03-10-2017, 11:58 AM
OK, so - I have a question. Part of the issue with translation to English was the way the alphabet fit into where the Japanese characters were, right? If someone is translating this to Castelan Spanish, then wouldn't it be simple to create a translation to English since all of the 'work' with character placement is already done? I'm no Translater, or ROM hacker, etc so I could totally be talking out of my ass. But could it be that simple after the Spanish translation is done?

In theory it should, even more considering Spanish has characters that English does not, like ñ, Ñ, ¡, ¿ and they use extra space that English translation could use for something else. I am fine with Spanish translation, but would prefer English.

xsq
03-10-2017, 12:24 PM
why would a completed spanish translation improve things for an english translation more than the existing french one does?

HornheaDD
03-10-2017, 12:37 PM
why would a completed spanish translation improve things for an english translation more than the existing french one does?

I was thinking the same thing, that's why I was asking. French doesn't use too many strange characters, other than tildes and accents, etc (that I'm aware of, I dont speak/read Fronch) so I was wondering why it's still difficult.

Hell if it's a matter of just translating text, I'd be happy to help. I'll google translate the shit out of whatever we've got. I just wanna play the dang thing.

aha2940
03-10-2017, 11:20 PM

I was not aware that a complete French translation existed and was released to the public...

xsq
03-11-2017, 06:22 AM
I was not aware that a complete French translation existed and was released to the public...
read the thread (title)?

HornheaDD
04-04-2017, 05:24 PM
Still maintaining hope.

phoenixdownita
04-04-2017, 10:00 PM
Last I tried the french patch there was something messed up during the fights.
Is this Spanish work any better? Or was I using an old French patch and since it got fixed (fights and all)?

HornheaDD
07-16-2017, 10:19 PM
i guess Apoc's given up on this? Has there been any word on other forums?

wyndcrosser
07-16-2017, 11:17 PM
I have his work somewhere, did he release his beta on the forumM

HornheaDD
07-24-2017, 09:33 AM
I have his work somewhere, did he release his beta on the forumM

Im not sure.

HNQ
01-10-2018, 12:48 PM
How about a 2018 bump?

So...Anyone have any news on Apocalypse or the translation? I hope everything is okay.

greedostick
01-10-2018, 01:49 PM
How about a 2018 bump?

So...Anyone have any news on Apocalypse or the translation? I hope everything is okay.

It's never coming out.

I'm unsubing this thread now.

ShootTheCore
01-11-2018, 03:55 AM
Apocalypse has put it on hold for now, but you can read his December update and try the latest build from his blog: https://arcadefixer.blogspot.co.nz/2017/12/samurai-shodown-rpg-neo-geo-cd-english.html

HornheaDD
01-14-2018, 01:40 PM
i know its a lot of work. I just wonder why people keep starting it and giving up :(

c0nn0r
05-17-2019, 10:39 AM
petite bump.

Does Apocalypse have a Paetreon? Has he set a goal amount to ensure he finishes this project? I'm sure something can be worked out so that we finally get this game in English.

HornheaDD
05-17-2019, 06:12 PM
petite bump.

Does Apocalypse have a Paetreon? Has he set a goal amount to ensure he finishes this project? I'm sure something can be worked out so that we finally get this game in English.People have offered to help. He won't respond. He's basically given up. He said that apparently people here shot his idea down. I have no idea where he got that insinuation, but it is what it is.

ShootTheCore
05-17-2019, 07:40 PM
Apocalypse's blog is here, but he's definitely stopped all work on the SSRPG translation project. He's currently heavily involved in the arcade hacking community - I see him post all the time in those areas.

https://arcadefixer.blogspot.com

Xavier
05-18-2019, 12:03 PM
What did Duece do with it?
I thought he translated it and just needed somebody to hack it.

greedostick
05-18-2019, 12:27 PM
maybe we could find someone willing to take over the project.

step 1: buy translation from guy.
step 2: pay someone to finish it.

HornheaDD
05-18-2019, 02:54 PM
What did Duece do with it?
I thought he translated it and just needed somebody to hack it.He quit and "claims" his work was lost.

HornheaDD
05-18-2019, 03:35 PM
maybe we could find someone willing to take over the project.

step 1: buy translation from guy.
step 2: pay someone to finish it.I looked into it and I am woefully under-skilled at doing it. I don't have the time to learn the skills needed.

Arcade won't even pass out the work he has done.

ShootTheCore
05-19-2019, 03:21 AM
Apocalypse’s patch of the first scenario is here - it looks like people are encouraging him to pick it back up again. Maybe some more positive encouragement would help:

https://arcadefixer.blogspot.com/2017/12/samurai-shodown-rpg-neo-geo-cd-english.html

Hine62
05-19-2019, 07:32 AM
I would love to see this translation happen, but there would be a better chance at getting a pair of deuces in a card game...

Diggerman
05-22-2019, 07:40 PM
I wish SNK would do it themselves and/or hire a good translator to do it then publish it. I’d buy a CD copy and I don’t even own a NeoGeo CD.

As for a scene translation, yeah that would be great. But so many have announced over the years then disappeared. It’s easy to feel like it will never happen.

Kid Panda
05-22-2019, 07:46 PM
Learn Japanese to play, then be able to play 1000s of other games.

HornheaDD
05-23-2019, 09:36 AM
Learn Japanese to play, then be able to play 1000s of other games.Nah

Kid Panda
05-23-2019, 04:00 PM
Nah

In the 60 hours you'll spend playing this game, one could learn quite a bit of the Japanese language. It could also open other doors in your life and would most certainly open your horizons to other things.

HornheaDD
05-23-2019, 05:23 PM
Nah.

Azra113
01-18-2020, 08:54 PM
Apocalypse basically gave up and said because he was discouraged by people here on NG.com. I don't see where that was though, the thread he posted about translation was met with a positive response.

Shit man.

I can't talk on behalf of Cory but I let him down by disappearing.

What happened was: he had split the work in 3 and we were to all translate our parts and merge. As you may know the translation process wasn't straight forward; there was a lot of rules to respect. We had to make sure the dialogue stayed in the restricted speech bubbles. It was a slow process.

I got busy with life and kept pushing the project to another day till it turned into a few weeks. Then I felt bad for not having contacted dude or doing any work so I thought I'd get some work done and come back with something, but I didn't. So a few months had passed and I felt so embarrassed that I just ghosted the forum altogether.

But this shit has been bothering me ever since. I've tried reaching out to Apocalypse over the years, but he wouldn't reply and to be honest I don't blame him.

So that's why I came back here, I want to make shit right. When I first came back a few days ago I PM'd him but he never replied so I also tried reaching out to him through his email and on his blog.

There was a lot of special symbols we needed to enter for punctuation and spaces so I am not even sure if the work I done before was viable or not. My intention was to get my part done but I NEED TO ASSURE that it fits into the rules he set.

I've tried reaching out to Cory as well, but haven't herd from bro in a few years as well.

I've reached out to Durandarte as well hoping we can help each other out.

Let's get this ball rolling.

Azra113
01-18-2020, 08:55 PM
Dear Apocalypse,

I apologize for ghosting you in the middle of this endeavour, it was a real dick move on my part.

I couldn't make the time to work on the project and I didn't really understand how to use the software editor and then I got embarrassed to come back empty handed. I got embarrassed to log back here as well.

And then life happened but this shit has been eating me for a while now. I've felt bad about disappointing you and the forum.

I don't know what happened between you and the other members in this but I know what I did;

So again I sincerely apologize

I would like to pick up where we left off, if that is ok with you ?

I'll take the reigns if you give me the knowledge and we can finally get this done for everyone.

Regards

-Aria

NeoEsZ
06-12-2020, 02:12 AM
I think it’s really cool that you came back to rectify this and I really hope some progress happens on this project as a result. Maybe with the recent samurai shodown releases, there will be renewed interest in this project. I know I would definitely play through a translated version of the game.