AES no sprites, unibios 3.2 gives off screen error

GoodTofuFriday

New Challenger
Hello all, thanks in advanced for any help.

I got an aes today, the sprites load for a second then disappear. Popped out the JP bios and put in unibios 3.2

Hardware test gives me 0000800 0000 0100
From reading around the issue may be with on the fast vrams or a trace to it. But I thought I'd ask to avoid unnecessary ic removals.

Here is a picture of the error: http://imgur.com/0WEsAAX

Once again thanks!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Since it's mostly zeros, it means that it's missing control signals. Check the /CE, /OE and /WE lines on the RAM.

GoodTofuFriday

New Challenger
Thanks for the reply Xian. When I went over the traces I didn't see any issues, but I will jump those 6 traces just to be sure. I'll reply back tonight once Ive worked on it.

GoodTofuFriday

New Challenger
Removed the sockets and with doing continuity test the pins you mentioned are fine. oe/ce seem grounded while w/e goes to the lspc2.

Im posting a picture of the top side without chips since it doesnt seem to exist on the net. All the traces pass except the obviously broken one.

fOAkw2V.jpg

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That's the fast video ram, the screen RAM is the main video ram which are the two at the top of the pic.

GoodTofuFriday

New Challenger
That's the fast video ram, the screen RAM is the main video ram which are the two at the top of the pic.

Well I feel silly.

Just tested continuity o all the pins on both chips, they all connect to the lsps2. Should I bother with swapping then to see what happens or just order new chips?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Well I feel silly.

Just tested continuity o all the pins on both chips, they all connect to the lsps2. Should I bother with swapping then to see what happens or just order new chips?

Well, not really, 8000 error usually means it's the fast video RAM but if the RAM tests good then it could be the regular VRAM. If the fast RAM tests good and continuity is 100% then could be a bad LSPC2. If you have an eprom reader that tests RAM you can see if the fast RAM is good. I usually run 10 back to back tests. You can also try burning a diagnostics bios and you can test specific ram with it, you will need to have a cart inserted in the slot when doing it as for the AES it needs a cart for the S1 to write text to the screen. I hope it's just bad RAM.

GoodTofuFriday

New Challenger
Well, not really, 8000 error usually means it's the fast video RAM but if the RAM tests good then it could be the regular VRAM. If the fast RAM tests good and continuity is 100% then could be a bad LSPC2. If you have an eprom reader that tests RAM you can see if the fast RAM is good. I usually run 10 back to back tests. You can also try burning a diagnostics bios and you can test specific ram with it, you will need to have a cart inserted in the slot when doing it as for the AES it needs a cart for the S1 to write text to the screen. I hope it's just bad RAM.

I got another AES in. I swapped out the screen ram with sony cxk58256-12L. Same issue sadly.

I do have an eeprom reader/burner. No chips right now to make a diag bios though.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I got another AES in. I swapped out the screen ram with sony cxk58256-12L. Same issue sadly.

I do have an eeprom reader/burner. No chips right now to make a diag bios though.

Test the fast RAM if your reader can test it. If you need me to burn you a bios just hit me up.

GoodTofuFriday

New Challenger
Test the fast RAM if your reader can test it. If you need me to burn you a bios just hit me up.

I have a tl866. Not sure if that can test these, or anything.

I have two official(?) Unibios 2.3 coming in the mail. I'll put diag on one of them.

GoodTofuFriday

New Challenger

Finally got around to doing this.

I get

Vram Address (A8-A10/A8-A14)
Address 008000
Actual: 0101
Expected: 0000

I also got the following

Z80 dead/errored/comm. issue

expected C3
actual: 3F