Replacement joystick cables

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Anyone ordered any of these replacement AES joystick cables that have the strain relief and exposed wires on one end? I was going to chop up one of my extension cables for this NGX stick I'm modding, but decided to order a couple of these instead. I'm hoping the strain relief is actually molded on and just not some cheap ass Chinese shit that's slipped onto the end of the cable.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Anyone ordered any of these replacement AES joystick cables that have the strain relief and exposed wires on one end? I was going to chop up one of my extension cables for this NGX stick I'm modding, but decided to order a couple of these instead. I'm hoping the strain relief is actually molded on and just not some cheap ass Chinese shit that's slipped onto the end of the cable.

Did you consider putting a DB15 port in the stick and connecting the extension to it instead of chopping it? that would make replacing the cable in case of damage trivial.

Regards.

madman

Did you consider putting a DB15 port in the stick and connecting the extension to it instead of chopping it? that would make replacing the cable in case of damage trivial.

Regards.

Nope, that looks like crap IMO. I've owned consoles since the Intellivision in the early 80's and not once have I damaged a cable so I'm not really worried.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's best when it isn't molded on when wiring things up. You want it to have enough slack to wire things up the way you like them and wire manage it. Once you are done you can just use a dab of 2 part epoxy so it doesn't move anymore.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
...or get a grommet...you can also steal it from an old pad you don't care for anymore, with an exacto knife and patience you can get it out, use it on our new cable made from perhaps and extension? attach everything as if new and you're all set, looks pro, works pro.

Last edited:

madman

Good info, I'll post a photo when they arrive and let everyone know how the modded stick turns out.

madman

These arrived today, the strain relief is molded on, so the length of exposed wire is what it is. The actual cable itself is about a foot shorter than a NGCD pad and significantly shorter than a Hori stick cable. FWIW, the strain relief fits nicely in the socket on the back of the NGX stick so it'll work for my purpose.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Installing a DB15 port can look and work great if you recess the port about an inch into the case. You could even have a fillet on the surrounding plastic, giving it a strain relief model somewhat similar to what Nintendo does on all of their controllers which works very well.

madman

Installing a DB15 port can look and work great if you recess the port about an inch into the case. You could even have a fillet on the surrounding plastic, giving it a strain relief model somewhat similar to what Nintendo does on all of their controllers which works very well.

The time it would take me to carve out a spot in a controller case for a DB-15 and make it look neat isn't worth it compared to buying the cables I bought or chopping up an extension cable. But that's just my opinion.