Any Crossed Swards fan here?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I both like & hate this game (or series).

It's an interested game that you control a knight and can see thru his body to fight enemies. I love music and gameplay.

But problem is that gameplay gets too long (more than 1 hour) and becomes repetitive. I got bored at one point but still finished the whole game.

I still play the game but just for few two chapters only........LOL

Any CS fan here?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i do enjoy it. closest thing the neo has to an rpg. a lot of games from the era was quite lengthy and required you to sit through it for an hour or two. so i wouldn't have had any complaints there if the game offered more variety in the gameplay. it does get boring after awhile.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Great game, one of my favorites for sure. The best way to play is to think of it as punch out, is Punch Out repetitive? Try to 1CC Crossed Swords and then we can talk about it being repetitive, I've had no luck, tough game...

Crossed Swords II is also great, NGCD for now, maybe one day I'll get the Razoola MVS deal...

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
ElectricGrave, it is impossible to 1CC Crossed Swords..............maybe BBH can do it as he did for Super Spy......................

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Well, he did also beat Nam '75, another impossible feat. We just gotta level up man, maybe start with the classic AES credits and go from there?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
...a flowchart?

It's basically this

YGsUAin.png

And I argue the practice credits are worthwhile and enable you to increase the 1cc portion faster. You seem to disagree, but we may just have to leave it at that.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Yep.............older you get, sucker you get in gameplay
You become less responsive in eyes and hands coordination

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm not against credit feeding, maybe I come across harsh about it 'cause I don't practice it but credit feeding is good at least once on a game, specially a PCB you just paid dearly for, mind as well tested thoroughly. The thing is, credit feeding spoils the momentum for me. I find it more memorable to shoot for a 1CC, every detail in the game becomes more vivid to me, once you continue that high or rush or fever comes down considerably but I do like your flowchart idea, that's pretty cool.

As for Savestate with MAME, well I have done such, I have 1CC'ed games like that but it just doesn't count, it's not quite the same but it's great for practice. For example; I can get all the way to the last boss on Donpachi, I do it on both MAME and PCB but it was the save state play that allowed me to get there more frequently than not, my regular run always falters at the boss of the 4th stage, it was a wall but save state playing gave me a better chance to learn the 4th boss patterns, so yeah it's cool but it also feels sterile, I dunno how to explain it.

Everyone should be able to play the games however they see fit, there's no wrong or right, hey at least we're playing the damn things as opposed to let them sit there...

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
I love Crossed Swords, back in that day I was a D&D nerd so a arcade rpg sword and sorcery type game was something I was really into. The unique style of CS for the time of being able to see thru your character for a FPS style gameplay was very experimental and appealing to me. The added RPG elements of magic and shop purchases always made it have more coin eating replay value as a kid. These elements has made me never forget this game over the years when thinking of arcade titles, I felt especially lucky joining this forum and returning to NG when I did as to be able to support Raz and purchase a MVS copy of CS2, the NG cd was one of the only systems I never picked up back in the day probably due to owning an AES and the CD only having a few exclusives. I don't own a cart copy of CS currently and its on my list but being able to play a complete new CS in CS2 was a fantastic experience in 2015, I really do love this series and am glad to see others like it as well.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
:up::up:

So funny :D

Dont you agree? I have hard time playing COD and other games require numerous button-coordination........

That's why i love retro games better

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I agree. But it doesn't matter when the game was released... in fact most of the current/last gen "blockbuster" titles are way too easy still. I'll be playing those when I'm 80 ^^

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
My buddy and I played through CS on an MVS one day on a whim, it was fun but I'm not sure if I would want to go back. It is a long game, and it killed my hands playing it without stopping. It is very repetitive as well, not a huge variety in enemies. I have no idea how anyone could 1CC it (or would want to try) as we died a ton. It is an interesting game, but certainly not a must own IMO.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Crossed Swards is fun. Really though, I enjoy any game involving swards like Iron Sward, LoZ: Four Swards, Heavenly Sward, and Broken Sward. My favorite of all time has got to be Swol Calibur, the tale of Swols and Swards eternally retold!

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Who's up for a good, old-fashioned naked sward fight???

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Can we just pulled down our undies and cross our streams on the bowl? Seems more challenging...

Randomsense

New Challenger
Haven't played it in a while but I did enjoy CS back in the day. My brother and I would play it quite a bit at one of the pizza places we frequented. Its one of the games I keep considering picking up. I really wanted to get Razoola conversion but I just couldn't justify the cost/spend at the time unfortunately.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
ElectricGrave, it is impossible to 1CC Crossed Swords..............maybe BBH can do it as he did for Super Spy......................

Nah, I'm not really a fan of Crossed Swords. I remember thinking it was really cool when I first played it in the arcade, but time was not kind to it. I don't really care enough now to try to pick up and learn the game.

It's certainly not impossible though. I recall watching a MAME replay many years ago that did finish it on one credit. The game's just very memorization heavy, you have to have EVERYTHING planned out on the later stages, you have to know how much health to allocate to using super slashes on tough enemies and then not get hit otherwise to lose any more health, etc.

They really fucked up not putting a proper scoring system in the game, I would have felt a little more motivated for one-credit play with one. Instead your credit's over and it's just like... ok?

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Love Crossed Swords hate its lack of songs. Its got maybe 3 damn songs on the whole game.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Love Crossed Swords hate its lack of songs. Its got maybe 3 damn songs on the whole game.
yup. It's a shame there's no easy way to turn of background music through the unibios or sth. The lack of different tunes especially annoys me with PB.