Neo Geo AES games waiting to be found

Hubes22

New Challenger
I purchased my Neo Geo AES system a couple years back. Growing up my parents never had the kind of cash needed to purchase the AES. Plus, living in Montana we didn't have stores around that carried the games. I remember going to the local arcade and Movie Theater and always playing on the MVS system. I purchased my system and the first couple of games from a retro game store in Washington. It was a random phone call asking if they had any systems or games. They had one US system and three games sitting in their back storage room. Since then when I've been on vacation I always search out local retro stores and always make it a point to swing in and see if I can get lucky and find any games for sale. I have never come across any since that call to Washington.... When I ask if they have any "Neo Geo AES" games they always look at me like I'm crazy. Like it's something they never see.... I often wonder if all the AES games are sitting in collector痴 hands or if there are games out there waiting to be found in game stores, storage sheds or people痴 houses... What are some of your thoughts?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
The most desired AES games (Read: All English Metal Slugs and most JAP Metal Slugs, Garou, Pulstar/Blazing Star, etc.) are already in the hands of the people that want them, and it's unlikely they will change hands. You can find fighters in AES for a decent price (KoF 94-2k, Samurai Showdown, Fatal Fury, At of Fighting, World Heroes, etc.). Best route if you already have the AES would be getting a converter or selling it and getting an MVS board.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
These threads are just popping up every day.

You n00bs need to learn; MVS > AES

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
This. Just because:

Prices MVS << Prices AES
Games MVS = Games AES

Also Puzzle Bobble, Drift Out and Shock Troopers, among others, are only on MVS and not AES.

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
This. Just because:

Prices MVS << Prices AES
Games MVS = Games AES

This has been discussed to death already.

If you want to play the games: MVS
If you want to look at the games: AES
If you want to "invest" or "make a living by flipping": fuck right off

Hubes22

New Challenger
I'm thinking about looking into a converter. I understand that MVS is the way to go to not kill the pocket book and is a much easier way to find most all of the games. I've purchased some AES games on eBay and on here. I'm extremely hesitant on the higher priced games on eBay though. I just sometimes wonder how many AES games are out there sitting in boxes, etc. Probably not much, but I'm sure there are some.

There's a guy in Florida, goes by "videogamesource" on ebay, who still has a cuople "new old stock" AES games for semi-reasonable (ebay) prices. Some have been sitting in a warehouse for decades, from what I've been told.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/videogamessource

I ordered a Blue's Journey from him, was indeed brand new, but really it's not that different than one that's been kept in good shape by it's owner.

I find that AES in general is pretty affordable unless you go for the super rare collectors stuff. But MVS will definitely give you a much wider selection of games for way less.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I often wonder if all the AES games are sitting in collector's hands or if there are games out there waiting to be found in game stores, storage sheds or people's houses...

Neither. They are stored by price jacking eBay shops like Diamonds from De Beers. And this metaphorical image you dreamt to yourself, that of an Andrew Wyeth-inspired farmhouse with neatly seasoned AES carts, hibernating under a tubby ply of dust somewhere in back on a modest homely shelf... well, it's just a fanciful urban fable.

Sorry I had to bring it like this to you kid, but you better off knowing.

Wyeth.jpg

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
With the way AES prices go, once a collector has a game they want they're unlikely to let it go, so there just aren't many of the rare games showing up. I made the mistake once of selling some of my kind of rare games (SSV, MS4, Top Hunter) when I needed some cash and now I will probably not be able to get them back, and if I do I will be paying at least double what I let them go for. Those games aren't even that rare, so no one with a MS1 or Blazing Star is just going to let it go, unless they're getting out of AES completely.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
This has been discussed to death already.

If you want to play the games: MVS
If you want to look at the games: AES
If you want to "invest" or "make a living by flipping": fuck right off

While I'm sure everyone agrees with the last part, I would really like to mention that I love PLAYING on AES. Sure, MVS is okay too, but after a certain amount of games it doesn't make sense to switch. If you're a newcomer things are a bit different, of course.
But although some people are sure to disagree, I say that AES games are not for the shelf but are there to be played, too.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Play roms first to see if you really like to get into neo
If you only have limited budget and already have consoles like dreamcast/playstation2/saturn, get ports
If you really like neo and have 700 dollars budget to spend, get cmvs + multicart
If you really really like neo and want to have individual cart instead, get into mvs
If you have $$$$ and like neo, AES is for you

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
If you only have limited budget and already have consoles like dreamcast/playstation2/saturn, get ports
If you really like neo and have 700 dollars budget to spend, get cmvs + multicart
If you really really like neo and want to have individual cart instead, get into mvs

The above makes perfect sense, but I'd also add that the AES is worthwhile if you're patient. If you're the type that wants to buy a collection instantly and then move on to something else then the AES is not a good idea, but if you're committed to the AES and aren't in a rush then it can be very satisfying.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,

I would not include the ports as an option. They may look like the same game, but they are not. I prefer a nice MAME machine (with a stick) over a port any day.

Hubes22

New Challenger
The above makes perfect sense, but I'd also add that the AES is worthwhile if you're patient. If you're the type that wants to buy a collection instantly and then move on to something else then the AES is not a good idea, but if you're committed to the AES and aren't in a rush then it can be very satisfying.

I've never been very patient but have learned to be a bit more with AES games. I will post my collection over the past couple of years in the collection gallery in the next week or two.

Hubes22

New Challenger
While I'm sure everyone agrees with the last part, I would really like to mention that I love PLAYING on AES. Sure, MVS is okay too, but after a certain amount of games it doesn't make sense to switch. If you're a newcomer things are a bit different, of course.
But although some people are sure to disagree, I say that AES games are not for the shelf but are there to be played, too.

I have a decent amount of games already and like them to be complete and in good condition. They look good on a shelf but I enjoy playing them as well.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I would not include the ports as an option. They may look like the same game, but they are not. I prefer a nice MAME machine (with a stick) over a port any day.

Depends. Getting 7 Metal Slugs at once for $6 is worth it. Paying $80 for a buggy version of Last Blade 2... probably not.