Has anybody tried the jvc dt-v 1710cg ?

plasmapants

Rugal's Thug
Ok so I thought I would splash out and treat my self to a new monitor . I used to have an nec xm29+ which was a great monitor but was too big , and the bvm20f1 is 15khz only but far superior picture compared to xm29. Basically I'm looking for an all in one CRT like the nec which will do 15-31k for running neo (obviously ) sharp 68000 , fm towns and my super gun. I seen a jvc dtv1710cg pop up for sale for a really good price with the rgb/component board installed so was wondering if anyone has one of these and are they really worth the price tag?
Thanks in advance

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I have that very monitor. Sadly I havent tried it yet because it didn't come with an input card. From some of the pictures I've seen, the quality looks about on par with a good pvm. People have said that the picture quality looks fantastic and the monitor is great for retro gaming. There is a thread in the shmups forums that shows some pictures. I think even skips got a the 19 inch version and said it looked close to a bvm. And yes the JVC monitors can do up to 720p I believe. I spent $75 dollars on a newly refurbished one thinking I had found a good deal but sadly it had no component card. Now it's just sitting there without ever being used. I would probably not go higher than $150 max for a good monitor and the input card.

I gotta say I can't believe you let go of you NEC monitor. I guess size isn't everything for some people.

plasmapants

Rugal's Thug
I have that very monitor. Sadly I havent tried it yet because it didn't come with an input card. From some of the pictures I've seen, the quality looks about on par with a good pvm. People have said that the picture quality looks fantastic and the monitor is great for retro gaming. There is a thread in the shmups forums that shows some pictures. I think even skips got a the 19 inch version and said it looked close to a bvm. And yes the JVC monitors can do up to 720p I believe. I spent $75 dollars on a newly refurbished one thinking I had found a good deal but sadly it had no component card. Now it's just sitting there without ever being used. I would probably not go higher than $150 max for a good monitor and the input card.

I gotta say I can't believe you let go of you NEC monitor. I guess size isn't everything for some people.

Thanks for the reply, shame you can't use yours !! Input cards are availible but they are extremely expensive, there is also a panasonic card that will fit iirc, mine has just turned up this morning so I will post some pics maybe over the weekend of it running. As for the nec they are a extremely nice monitor but not as good as people make it out to be. Infact my 2931 in my blast city is more versatile and picture quality is a lot better in 15 and 31 kHz than the xm29+.
Anyhow if I get time I'll shoot up some pics .

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Yes I have looked quite extensively for both JVC and Panasonic equivalents with no luck. There was apparently some cards for sale on ebay for cheap but I was too late for that.

I have the NEC XP37 myself and it is the monitor I find myself using the most. The picture quality isnt the best, but it is good enough for me. And I own a sony BVMD20F1U and 2 Sony GDM FW 900 and the JVC. All three of those monitors have a nicer picture than the NEC but the screen size and flexibility of the NEC monitor wins it for me.

A blast city cabs is probably gonna be my next purchase, and I look forward to seeing the nanao 2931 monitor in action.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
I have a DT-V1710CG monitor coming to me at end of week from an ebay seller. Got it for $80 and it comes with the IF-C01COMG RGB/Component card, one of the main things I was looking out for if I got one of these monitors.

If you want this input card, your best bet may be to search ebay for the JVC TM-H1950CG. This is a 15Khz-only monitor but there two on ebay right now with the card on the back. $200 but both have the Make Offer option. Talk the seller down and you potentially have yourself a card for cheaper than you can find standalone and a 19" pro monitor that can still do composite and s-video (built-in connections).

This came up recently for $150 BIN.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-IF-C01COMG-Component-RGB-Input-Card-/331727346502

plasmapants

Rugal's Thug
I have a DT-V1710CG monitor coming to me at end of week from an ebay seller. Got it for $80 and it comes with the IF-C01COMG RGB/Component card, one of the main things I was looking out for if I got one of these monitors.

If you want this input card, your best bet may be to search ebay for the JVC TM-H1950CG. This is a 15Khz-only monitor but there two on ebay right now with the card on the back. $200 but both have the Make Offer option. Talk the seller down and you potentially have yourself a card for cheaper than you can find standalone and a 19" pro monitor that can still do composite and s-video (built-in connections).

This came up recently for $150 BIN.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-IF-C01COMG-Component-RGB-Input-Card-/331727346502

Wow, that's an amazing price, well I have been running quite a few tests with mine this week , I'm over the moon with it , absolutely perfect condition and it's only ran for 135 hours (20 of them are mine 😁) I put it head to head with the f1 and hands down it's way way better, the gerometry is piss perfect almost and the colors , blacks and white balance are superior !! I think I have found my perfect monitor for my needs, I still haven't found the sweet spot for the 68k yet , the monitor is recognising it at just a little higher res than 480p so it automatically sets it's self to widescreen , I ran it though a extron rgb109xi but tonight I'm gonna try it through a rgb 580xi, I will get some pics later of a few consoles running on it although the quality won't be amazing as my 2 options for taking pics at the min is a crappy iphone 4 and a go pro hero 4 either way I'll put some pics up !!

plasmapants

Rugal's Thug
Wow, that's an amazing price, well I have been running quite a few tests with mine this week , I'm over the moon with it , absolutely perfect condition and it's only ran for 135 hours (20 of them are mine 😁) I put it head to head with the f1 and hands down it's way way better, the gerometry is piss perfect almost and the colors , blacks and white balance are superior !! I think I have found my perfect monitor for my needs, I still haven't found the sweet spot for the 68k yet , the monitor is recognising it at just a little higher res than 480p so it automatically sets it's self to widescreen , I ran it though a extron rgb109xi but tonight I'm gonna try it through a rgb 580xi, I will get some pics later of a few consoles running on it although the quality won't be amazing as my 2 options for taking pics at the min is a crappy iphone 4 and a go pro hero 4 either way I'll put some pics up !!

Ok here is some Saturn running in 15k and pics taken with my iphone 4

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
It's even better than I led on. It's coming with THREE of the RGB/Component cards installed. Probably the best deal I've gotten on anything, alongside a nice quality PVM-20M4U and a PVM-14L2 with a very sharp tube, obtained for $20 each earlier this year. I know the input cards are pretty hard to come by and wish anyone luck finding them, but I don't plan on selling the ones I'm getting any time soon. I'm keeping them for backup in case one fails and for a possible future purchase of a DT-V1910CG, the 19" version of this HD CRT. I may be looking to trade for the composite/s-video input card but I can probably wait and find one at a decent price if I'm patient.

I also have a BVM-20F1U with only 8000 hours. While I'm sure the JVC is a sweet monitor, I doubt it beats a properly calibrated BVM with low hours. They were the highest end and most expensive of pro CRT monitors with the distinct impression from old videographer message board posts that JVC, Ikegami, etc. were considered cheaper alternatives. But who knows? Maybe you're right. Sometimes we buy into the hype (XM29+) when better stuff exists.

plasmapants

Rugal's Thug
L
It's even better than I led on. It's coming with THREE of the RGB/Component cards installed. Probably the best deal I've gotten on anything, alongside a nice quality PVM-20M4U and a PVM-14L2 with a very sharp tube, obtained for $20 each earlier this year. I know the input cards are pretty hard to come by and wish anyone luck finding them, but I don't plan on selling the ones I'm getting any time soon. I'm keeping them for backup in case one fails and for a possible future purchase of a DT-V1910CG, the 19" version of this HD CRT. I may be looking to trade for the composite/s-video input card but I can probably wait and find one at a decent price if I'm patient.

I also have a BVM-20F1U with only 8000 hours. While I'm sure the JVC is a sweet monitor, I doubt it beats a properly calibrated BVM with low hours. They were the highest end and most expensive of pro CRT monitors with the distinct impression from old videographer message board posts that JVC, Ikegami, etc. were considered cheaper alternatives. But who knows? Maybe you're right. Sometimes we buy into the hype (XM29+) when better stuff exists.

That is an awesome deal with 3 rgb cards installed. The hype of the xm29 is exactly what it is, yes it's a very capable monitor but picture quality and accuracy is what counts and that is where the poor old girl lacks, the f1 has been my choice for a few years but space has always been an issue so the xm29+ was put in its place purely for being able to hit those hi res notes but when playing 15khz games on it compared to the f1 there was no comparison , so that's when the search began ! I was looking at the multiformat bvms but trying to find a low hour good condition one is rare where I am in the uk. I completely agree with you that it's hard to compare an f1 against this jvc , there is not a lot in it but for my needs it's hitting the sweet spot. My f1 defo has way more than 8000 hours which will be going against it but it can't be that bad when it looks so so much better than the xm29. Another monitor I own which also has a Sony trinitron tube is my 14" trisync fm towns monitor which also produces a very nice picture but unfortunate it did not make the journey from Japan very well so the plastics are ruined. My plan for that is to fit it in a cocktail when I find one. Would be good to see some pics of yours when you get it in. Good luck on the search for the 19" I have never seen one for sale here.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
There's a 19" for sale on ebay. I'd get it if I had the room for it.

I got the 17" on Friday, swapped out a 14" PVM that was in the space and it fits perfectly next to my 20" BVM. It has 7200 hours... count says Hours (x100): 72. I tuned the color balance, RGB values, bright/contrast/chroma to where I thought it should be, resized the screen's horizontal and vertical values and positioning so it was perfect across most games. Geometry was already in great shape, no convergence controls but don't need them. The picture quality at 480p component itself is quite nice and I'll try to get screens later, probably post them on the CRT thread.

My one gripe is that there are purity issues, degaussing coil can't fix it, probably permanent damage from UPS transportation. They're terrible, I read packages incoming into their facility go through a 6-foot drop!, which I believe after the repeat problems I've had with them. It's not as bad as my first PVM (serious damage) and not always noticeable but it's there and annoys me a bit. I may be able to fix it with carefully placed magnets on the frame.

Last edited:

plasmapants

Rugal's Thug
There's a 19" for sale on ebay. I'd get it if I had the room for it.

I got the 17" on Friday, swapped out a 14" PVM that was in the space and it fits perfectly next to my 20" BVM. It has 7200 hours... count says Hours (x100): 72. I tuned the color balance, RGB values, bright/contrast/chroma to where I thought it should be, resized the screen's horizontal and vertical values and positioning so it was perfect across most games. Geometry was already in great shape, no convergence controls but don't need them. The picture quality at 480p component itself is quite nice and I'll try to get screens later, probably post them on the CRT thread.

My one gripe is that there are purity issues, degaussing coil can't fix it, probably permanent damage from UPS transportation. They're terrible, I read packages incoming into their facility go through a 6-foot drop!, which I believe after the repeat problems I've had with them. It's not as bad as my first PVM (serious damage) and not always noticeable but it's there and annoys me a bit. I may be able to fix it with carefully placed magnets on the frame.

There nothing worse than an itch you can't scratch !!!

Glad you got it and all up and running , yes 480p does look sweet , so does 720 if you have the bezel to remove the rgb lines at the top