BVM-20F1U Questions

Don

Camel Slug
A few days ago, I came across a Sony BVM-20F1U that was being thrown away. The first thing I did was plug the the thing in, hit the switch on the back and neither the stand-by lamp or any of the front lamps light up. I checked the fuse and on close inspection the internal light on the power supply turns on.

I think part of the problem could be that it is missing two pieces, the control unit and the system control card. The control card being the most critical.

The control unit is easy to track down but I can't find any info on the Control card. I was hoping that someone might be able to give me the part number or take a picture of the board for me.

I'm also curious to the necessity of the board. It would be cool if someone could try to remove the card and power their bvm on to see what happens.

1117151053a~2.jpg

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
If no one else helps you out before then, I can send you the manual for the monitor when I get home. If it doesn't have the control unit, then what lamps are left in front? I don't have mine in front of me since I'm at work, but the only two lights I can think of on the front that aren't part of the control unit are the tally light and the overload indicator. Neither of those would turn on when you turn on the rear power switch.

Can you snap a quick pic of the front of your unit?

Don

Camel Slug
Here's a pic of the front from the manual. There's the tally lamp on top. Then on the bottom there's an overload, stand by and power lamp. I was looking over the operation manual and the stand by should come on or at least flash when the switch on the back is hit but it also looks like you can disable that feature. I was also unable to find any kind of part number for the control unit. I'm not sure but that could be listed in the maintenance manual. I've been unable to find that one for free online and I'm just not sure how reliable the pdf manual shops are.

Screenshot_2015-11-17-12-21-17~2.jpg

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Here's a pic of the front from the manual. There's the tally lamp on top. Then on the bottom there's an overload, stand by and power lamp. I was looking over the operation manual and the stand by should come on or at least flash when the switch on the back is hit but it also looks like you can disable that feature. I was also unable to find any kind of part number for the control unit. I'm not sure but that could be listed in the maintenance manual. I've been unable to find that one for free online and I'm just not sure how reliable the pdf manual shops are.

When I had to get the manual for the PVM20M2MDU I bought it, hence why I posted it on here. I didn't have any issues and it was the right manual. If you do end up buying a service manual I'm always willing to mirror it so future people won't have to pay.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
The control unit is a BKM-10R
When I hit my power switch my 20F1 turns all the way in and the power light is illuminated. When I hit power button on the front the BKM-10R control unit that's when the standby light goes on.

Try re-seating the remaining input board on the back. These monitors are touchy with all kinds of failsafes especially with expansion boards. I know when I added one to mine they had to go in a specific order for it to work.

I have an extra RGBS input board if that turns out to be the problem.

Also, I believe I got the service manual free online. If you can't find it I can try scanning to you.

Last edited:

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
gimme a few. i have the manual here
https://db.tt/Lxf0BZly
Ha, this was the wrong one ...
This here is for 20f1u
https://db.tt/GSF1kmJc

Sorry :)

Last edited:

Don

Camel Slug
Thanks for the help guys.

@skate - I'll give it out for free no problem.

@420p - Thanks for the share but I'm looking for the maintenance manual it contains the system diagrams

@K-2 - thanks for the info. I watched some of your youtube vids on the monitor too.

Ok, so I wasn't able to find the BVM-20f1u maintenance manual but I BVM-20G1A maintenance manual. It's a pretty similar monitor. The manual refers to the System control board as the BC board (this is the board marked ISR on the back. From the back it's on the far left of the larger bvms). Also based on the diagrams it's essential. http://dcemulation.org/~darc/SonyBVM14G1A.pdf

It's pretty essential - it controls the lamps and all text on screen. I couldn't find a direct link to whether it's essential for image processing but it for sure intertwined and does contain the main CPU.

BC block.pngBC block 2.pngoverall.png

Last edited:

Don

Camel Slug
When I had to get the manual for the PVM20M2MDU I bought it, hence why I posted it on here. I didn't have any issues and it was the right manual. If you do end up buying a service manual I'm always willing to mirror it so future people won't have to pay.

I just bought it from the repair/service manual store online. It seemed like a fairly legit site, they are supposed to email me the manual within 24 hours. I'll shoot you a pm with a link once I have it.