Astro City Monitor Problem: Yet another cap kit thread?

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
So, hadn't used the cab, probably going on 2 months.. sad.

Powered it up and the image was not where I had set the vertical and horizontal limits. It was probably 40 percent smaller, still on center. Eventually the image became this:

22264205656_e441c9e821_o.jpg

Any idea what's going on? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I think I will just order a cap kit, shouldnt hurt and this monitor has probably never been recapped given who I bought it from. Will update whenever that happens.

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
Is this with a board hooked up to it? If so, try another board, if not, you might want to start with a cap kit.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Is this with a board hooked up to it? If so, try another board, if not, you might want to start with a cap kit.

Has a board, took the board out and tested the board on the cab next to this one. The board seems fine.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Just curious, but anyone know which weiya chassis would be compatible with an MS8-29?

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Removed the chassis. Took a couple pics, hopefully easy to reinstall. Had to cut 1 wire. The only thing I did not notice was which way the degauss coil cable was plugged in. Does it matter if these get reversed when reinstalled? Its a gray cable with 2 red wires. Does it matter which red cable goes to which terminal?

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
Degauss cable has no polarity. You can hook it in either way.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Degauss cable has no polarity. You can hook it in either way.

Great, thank you. Got about 90% of the caps installed. Might not bother with the rest, as they seem difficult to get to. One of the caps looked noticibly bad, so hopefully thats what was causing the problem.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Hooked everything backed up. Appears to be working better than before. Seemed slightly brighter, turned it down a tad. Colors more vivid, which I think is due to the scanlines (they seem less thick now), so more colors come through rather than the black.

Gonna let it run and see if it gives any trouble. Thanks for the help and hope that if someone has a similar image problem, they know its just a bad cap somewhere.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Right on man, good to hear it’s fixed!