PS3 Won't stay on

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Well, I paid $100 to have it repaired a couple years ago. It's turning off constantly now. After only seconds of being powered on. They told me it's probably happen again. It's an original release 60GB with Emotion Engine, but I've upgraded the HDD In the past.

Is it salvageable?

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
What's the issue? Yellow light of death (shutting off and blinking yellow light)? The most that can be done is reflow it to delay the inevitable. Or reball it completely if you can find someone who has the hardware for that. I used to repair, reflow, and mod 360s and ps3s all the time.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
It just shuts off and blinks red. Blinks and blinks and blinks

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
It was a general hardware failure on mine when that happened. I never got the real root of the problem from the repair person, but the internets consensus (Google-fu) pointed to the BR drive board dying, so I just assumed that's what happened.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
could be as simple as replacing the whole BR drive or doing another reflow. or as bad as terminal. these friggin things.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Sounds like over heating... Did you put a high rpm hdd when you upgraded?

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
My initial repair was $80. No fan mods. Same rpm on the hdd as the original 5400.

I really don't want to drop $200 on a new ps3 and then whatever I have to spend on a ps2 now.

Vas

Marked Wolf
99.9% hard drive failure find a cheap 1 and try rest to factory setting

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Sounds like your PS3 is overheating, and has been for a while. It's likely beyond repair at this point unless you have it professionally reballed (which will cost as much as a new motherboard).
original 60GB PS3s have overheating issues for a couple of reasons:

1) The paste beneath the heat spreader on the Cell and RSX is very low quality. Replacing this on the RSX is fairly easy (the heat spreader can be carefully removed, cleaned, and attached with better thermal adhesive), on the cell, it's almost impossible without the right tools, as they put some heavy duty epoxy on like 90% of the perimeter.
2) The heat pads on the RAM and Blu-Ray chips dry up and become useless after about 4 years.
3) The PS3 while playing PS2 games runs the fan at at flat 25%, which is far too little to dissipate the heat the Emotion Engine, Cell, and RSX produce. Your PS3 is running at around 85-90C within 20 minutes.
4) The default PS3 fan profile doesn't ramp up the speed of the fan until after it is already 82C, and runs high until it goes under 76C. This means every time you turn on the PS3, it's getting very hot, then getting cooled down by the fan rapidly. This causes the mainboard to flex a lot.

If you DO get it fixed, I highly recommend getting it hacked just so you can adjust the fan profiles so it activates at 68C and maintains that temp and runs the fan at 42% in PS2 mode.
Anyways, just get a PS2 and a slim PS3. It's not worth the trouble with the originals. I've taken very good care of mine, replaced the adhesives, pads, and pastes and have had the better fan speeds on it for a couple of years, and it still gets hot very quicky.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Sounds like your PS3 is overheating, and has been for a while. It's likely beyond repair at this point unless you have it professionally reballed (which will cost as much as a new motherboard).
original 60GB PS3s have overheating issues for a couple of reasons:

1) The paste beneath the heat spreader on the Cell and RSX is very low quality. Replacing this on the RSX is fairly easy (the heat spreader can be carefully removed, cleaned, and attached with better thermal adhesive), on the cell, it's almost impossible without the right tools, as they put some heavy duty epoxy on like 90% of the perimeter.
2) The heat pads on the RAM and Blu-Ray chips dry up and become useless after about 4 years.
3) The PS3 while playing PS2 games runs the fan at at flat 25%, which is far too little to dissipate the heat the Emotion Engine, Cell, and RSX produce. Your PS3 is running at around 85-90C within 20 minutes.
4) The default PS3 fan profile doesn't ramp up the speed of the fan until after it is already 82C, and runs high until it goes under 76C. This means every time you turn on the PS3, it's getting very hot, then getting cooled down by the fan rapidly. This causes the mainboard to flex a lot.

If you DO get it fixed, I highly recommend getting it hacked just so you can adjust the fan profiles so it activates at 68C and maintains that temp and runs the fan at 42% in PS2 mode.
Anyways, just get a PS2 and a slim PS3. It's not worth the trouble with the originals. I've taken very good care of mine, replaced the adhesives, pads, and pastes and have had the better fan speeds on it for a couple of years, and it still gets hot very quicky.

Sounds like you nailed it. That's exactly what's happening. Has to be. Thanks guys.

s8n187

Quiz Detective
hi Sherlin , i have Slims and do a Fan Mod below..........

I also increase the PS3 Fan up to 70% through Webman mod the temps i get are around 40c for both processors.

To do the Fan Mod takes a couple of hours if you have a Dremel

fqvJCf.jpg

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Why not just bolt a RC Helicopter to the top of it. That looks terrible.