GQ-4X ADP-054 Willem Adapter

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Anybody identify with bad reads of blanks as fffe???
BB

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Without the adapter plugged in,it works fine.The adapter was working and conked out, I believe. I was thinking that there might be something I could do..I've read replace the ZIF sockets. It reads and verifies fine but If I can't get it to recognize blanks,it won't write of course.

I've read over the forums.I have the updated software,played with the jumper settings,etc. and come to the conclusion I may need to get another one BUT maybe a component on the board just needs to be replaced ? I can do that...
BB

Last edited:

mikey

Marked Wolf
I've had some issues with it, however if you lock the eprom into the ZIF socket and then wiggle it around, it seems to work better. Not sure if it just helps it make a better connection due to a dirty ZIF socket. You could try replacing the 74HC245's if nothing else works, maybe one of them is fried?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I've also realized that all the VCC and VPP voltage test are not passing.....not really sure that means anything.
BB

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
big bear make sure the 16 bit adpater is in the lowest pins on socket of the eprom burner

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Thanks. I've had this for awhile and it conked out on me not too long ago.(No warranty now) I just removed the two 74hc245n's and replaced with sockets. I'm going to grab the chips and or probably order another adapter.
The main piece is still functioning properly as I was able to burn some smaller eproms BUT I've read that the adapter needed to be replaced.
I'll update progress as I go along.
BB
big bear make sure the 16 bit adpater is in the lowest pins on socket of the eprom burner

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
UPDATE I went ahead and ordered GQ-4X and ADP-054 replacements because I suspected both units were defective due to their age/wear of 6-7 years or power surge damage and I was correct. The replacements are working fine as the GQ-4X passes all voltage tests and no more FFEE reads from the ADP-054.
After confirming both units are working,I reinstalled the defective ADP-054 and it gave me the same FFEE read so my intentions will still be trouble shooting it by replacing the 74hc245n's and I will be back with the results.
If you are having random trouble with writes or Blank reads it may be necessary for you to reset your GQ-4x by simply unplugging and replugging your 9v adapter.Also make sure you don't have a lot of apps working in the background or better yet use a dedicated cheapo PC with XP.
BB

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
FOLLOW UP
One of the 74HC245N chips needed to be replaced on the defective ADP-054 in order to get it to work properly. What took so long? I was motivated by a worn out ZIF socket on the other adapter that now needs to be replaced :D
BB