Arcade in Japan

benimaru7

New Challenger
I recently was in Japan and visited Mikado arcade in Tokyo's Takadanobaba, they have shooters on the ground floor and fighting games on the upper floor. (Hey in Akihabara was also another good one).

They had a great range of Neo Geo games, each cab had two games you could select from. They were also the cabs where P1 and P2 uses an entire cab sitting opposite one another.:D

They even had a selection of guides in the corner of the arcade with Fatal Fury special and the All about SNK art book which you could flick through.

It made me sad to think arcades in the UK have all but disappeared now.:crying:

totoro

X>2, (He is so wrong -Ed),
I never managed to find this place when i was in Japan earlier this year :(

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
They even had a selection of guides in the corner of the arcade with Fatal Fury special and the All about SNK art book which you could flick through.

Did you get a picture of the All of SNK art book by any chance?

benimaru7

New Challenger
Ahh its really a big shame the arcades have declined so much. I think it has in Japan too, but there are still people that go after work to relieve stress.
Their cabs are kept in good working order and they even have a switch on some to switch between button layouts!!
There is something different about challenging a stranger in an arcade compared to playing online.

Sorry I didn't get a pic of the SNK book. I was too busy playing the games!

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I recently was in Japan and visited Mikado arcade in Tokyo's Takadanobaba, they have shooters on the ground floor and fighting games on the upper floor. (Hey in Akihabara was also another good one).

They had a great range of Neo Geo games, each cab had two games you could select from. They were also the cabs where P1 and P2 uses an entire cab sitting opposite one another.:D

Thats pretty cool man, it would be weird and cool being in an arcade like that. Pretty much the only arcades around me are found in movie theaters and its mostly shit.

benimaru7

New Challenger
Certainly a rare site to come across these days, I hope it will stay around for years to come!
Do you think if arcades like this opened in the U.S. It would be successful? Or do you think the West has moved on to online for good, not enough retro interest?

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
From all the arcades I've been at akiba, Hey was quite the better one to me. Specially friday nights where it was super crowded and there was quite high level on fighting games.

benimaru7

New Challenger
You are right Hey was good, they had Super Street fighter 2 Turbo on 4 machines for only 10yen a go! One guy had 80 wins, very high level of players and cool to see some combos I hadn't seen before.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
What I never understood is why only Friday night was when it was fully crowded lol
And yeah, saw the 10 yen SSF2T just at the end of the stairs hehe.
I was more focused on the Dragon Ball Z Battle Zenkai arcade trying to unlock some stuff for my char <3

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Those SF2 machines were always occupied. Saw some pretty sick gameplay on the DDP DaiFukkatsu machine too.

Last edited:

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Last time i saw an arcade machine was in a cinema, lightgun game as it happen's,
the arcade's are not dying in the uk they have been well and truly dead and buried for years, as soon as i started seeing the dancing, sking, punchbag type games, ie gimmicky games, i knew the end was nigh, i'm glad i'm old enough to remember them in their hayday, fag burns and all...

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
Blackpool is hammered with arcades and Barmouth in Wales is very good. I go there on holiday every year and get my fix of Namco Kart duel. I'm now so good I can beat the creator of the game in a race when you complete it. I must of slammed so much money into it but it's my favourite arcade game ever.

cat

Yeah i agree about Blackpool Kef, you could also add most seaside and holiday resorts to the list, there will alway's be arcade's in these place's...

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
So sad that arcades are in decline.
I don't think they will die out but they will never be as prominent as they used to be.
We have some wunderlands and other arcades in the area. But usually don't have many fighting games.
For the most part it's racing games, or light gun games, or some other non-video game stuff.
Nothing ever gets competitive.
I guess they are still fun but i feel like most the good games are gone.

cat

Biggest city close to me (swansea) had about 6 arcades's in the place back in the mid/late 80's early 90's, now there's 2, one at the bowling alley and the other on the pier on the seafront...

benimaru7

New Challenger
Glad to show the arcades are still alive. I just wish they were closer to home.
If you go to Japan and want a slice of nostalgia I can't recommend it enough!!!

cat

I'd love 2-3 cab's in the house benimaru but i just ain't got the room, living in a 2 up 2 down means space is limited...

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I wish there are arcades here like that. Mostly ticket redemption stuff.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Are those ashtrays I see in the picture? I can't imagine people smoking in such places.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Are those ashtrays I see in the picture? I can't imagine people smoking in such places.

Nah they are only there for foreigners to swipe and put on their cabs for their coins