How 1 game gave the chance to finally be part of the Neo Geo family. *Thank you MUSHA*

Thunderblaze16

New Challenger
Since I was 9 (Now being 20), I've wanted a Neo Geo AES for the longest time. It was the system everyone knew or at least heard of but no one owned. I've wanted to mod 1, wanted to play those arcade classics, the beast was simply too expensive then and too expensive now.

A few months ago, I was able to get a part time job and since has seriously helped me get back into collecting, with my Sega Mega Drive collection almost being done.

Now for the time I had no intention of getting a Neo Geo, even after landing a job. I had no real knowledge of the system apart from the system and games being high priced.

Then on MAY 13, 2015 someone on eBay list a fully complete copy of MUSHA for the genesis, a shmup that has seriously rising in price over the last 2 years. Asking price, $100 + shipping.
IrluSja.png

I already had a cib copy but fuck it, anyone who knew anything about the game and it's sudden price jump would have jumped on it immediately. At first I thought of keeping it and being like, "cool I got 2 copies of MUSHA" but I later thought that having 2 of the same game, at least from the same region never appealed to me.
So I decided to offer it for a trade, as I could use the funds to get one of the last few games I need for my Genesis collection like Gley Lancer but then I remembered about the Neo Geo and how this one of my only few chances of actually getting one.

After hours of thinking, I decided to go along with a Neo Geo. At first I offered my MUSHA for trade on Sega-16 and NA, only for a Neo Geo but then I got an amazing offer from someone on NA for MUSHA and it only took me a few minutes to think about the offer and agree to it.

Now have the funds, I can actually go get purchase or a real Neo Geo AES. It was enough for a complete system but I then thought to myself. The funds from MUSHA are enough for a complete system, I might as well reach higher to the stars and get me a boxed system!
And so I did, the box was in very good condition along with everything else inside. My dreams of owning a Neo Geo finally came true!

20150729_123024_zpsqtoicnns.jpg

What was I going to do next? Mod the hell out of it of course!
Gave it the following,
-Blue LED
-Universal Bios
-S-video out
-Stereo out
-AV out

Here are the insides, not the best set up but good enough to know where everything is.

Neo%20inside%201_zpsmcmoa1w2.jpg

Neo%20inside%202_zpsdsh5avfm.jpg

20150721_1800030_zpsczlhe4xc.jpg

This is my current collection a few weeks later with 3 CIB AES titles still shipping to me.
-Ghost pilots
-Alpha Mission II
-Cyber Lip
20150721_171507_zpsxk7zctrd.jpg

Top Hunter is currently my prized piece as it came fully complete, got it for only $220 from a seller near my area I found out about him 2 weeks ago through eBay. Said he use to work at game store called, GAME DUDE and was selling a lot of his Neo Geo collection for his upcoming new baby. He had SNK posters, tons of controllers and even SNK Christmas cards.

This is her.
20150721_173008_zpsjfz9zpny.jpg

I'm currently having a blast with the system and I couldn't be any happier with it.

20150721_172640_zpszytyhvvk.png

Once again, thanks MUSHA.

Last edited:

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
That's a very nice set up Thunderblaze, i got my aes about 4 weeks ago after years of lusting after one, not boxed though and i only got 3 games.
Being a huge sega fan and a shooter fan as well, i've been after M.U.S.H.A. like forever, you were stupid lucky to get it for $100, over here in the uk we very rarely get a sniff of it on ebay uk.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
You ran out of money too, didn't you...

You gotta be a scrimping bastard, even with the Neo Geo, if you want to get what you want. Of course, this would be a lot easier if this was 5 years ago. I think you picked a bad time to get into the AES, but if pictured is all you want, well have fun.

Thunderblaze16

New Challenger
You ran out of money too, didn't you...

You gotta be a scrimping bastard, even with the Neo Geo, if you want to get what you want. Of course, this would be a lot easier if this was 5 years ago. I think you picked a bad time to get into the AES, but if pictured is all you want, well have fun.

Like I said, I got a job a few months ago so money isn't really an issue now, just my limits in how much I'm willing to pay for something.

I was first going for the Sega Genesis then later to the Super Nintendo.
I know I'm late as hell to the party, I have no idea what some of these games costs 5 years ago.
The ones you see in my picture are some of the few that I could still afford.

For games like Metal Slug 1,2,3,4,5 I have no problem buying an MVS to AES converter because there's no way in hell I'll ever pay a grand for a game.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Unless you're wanting a massive assortment of MVS carts, you may want to consider grabbing a Metal Slug conversion or two, rather than actually play a collector copy or investing in an expensive converter (which can cost as much as a whole Neo Geo console). While making a new conversion is unethical, using up pre-existing ones makes more sense, they are already "destroyed".

I've never understood the mentality of buying expensive AES originals if playing is on the list, when conversions are already floating around.

Thunderblaze16

New Challenger
Unless you're wanting a massive assortment of MVS carts, you may want to consider grabbing a Metal Slug conversion or two, rather than actually play a collector copy or investing in an expensive converter (which can cost as much as a whole Neo Geo console). While making a new conversion is unethical, using up pre-existing ones makes more sense, they are already "destroyed".

I've never understood the mentality of buying expensive AES originals if playing is on the list, when conversions are already floating around.

Aren't conversion carts frowned upon here and considered same as bootlegs? While I do want to play my AES/MVS games, I like knowing they are fully original.
As for the MVS to AES converter, best 1 I can think of is the green one being sold at the NeoStore which is sadly out of stock as of right now.
http://www.neostore.com/MVS-MagicKey-MVS-to-AES-Neo-Geo-converter-p/1381.htm
The asking price isn't that bad though, while it's limited from playing things like multi carts, as long it runs MVS carts just fine I'm good.

MuppeT

War Room Troll

you surely are drunk... what the hell did you just say?

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Aren't conversion carts frowned upon here and considered same as bootlegs? While I do want to play my AES/MVS games, I like knowing they are fully original.
As for the MVS to AES converter, best 1 I can think of is the green one being sold at the NeoStore which is sadly out of stock as of right now.
The asking price isn't that bad though, while it's limited from playing things like multi carts, as long it runs MVS carts just fine I'm good.

From the looks of things, you're a gamer, not so much a collector. Does authenticity really mean that much to you?

When you pay an obscene amount of money to a collector for their 100% original AES game to play, you're losing. It's all good if it's a deal though.

you surely are drunk... what the hell did you just say?

I dunno, you tell me.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object

Yeah conversions are DEFINITELY frowned upon here. And I'm quite the noobie, but I had heard the blue converter was the "best" version?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
While making a new conversion is unethical, using up pre-existing ones makes more sense, they are already "destroyed".

So when you do your groceries, you don't expect the empty shelves to be filed with more food on the next day? Awesome thinking right there :lolz:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Yeah conversions are DEFINITELY frowned upon here. And I'm quite the noobie, but I had heard the blue converter was the "best" version?

The collectors run the show, my friend. Wake up before its too late.

So when you do your groceries, you don't expect the empty shelves to be filed with more food on the next day? Awesome thinking right there :lolz:

wat

Last edited:

Thunderblaze16

New Challenger
From the looks of things, you're a gamer, not so much a collector. Does authenticity really mean that much to you?

When you pay an obscene amount of money to a collector for their 100% original AES game to play, you're losing. It's all good if it's a deal though.

I hear you.

Also I'm a mix of both a collector and a gamer. To be honest, I don't like the term 'gamer', it just sounds to edgy you know. I just like to play games while collecting for them at the same time.
This is a portion of what I've collected over the years for both the snes and md.
20150729_140659_zpspa2ncneh.jpg

All the titles below I got before they got any higher than $180. I was a genesis guy first before I got to the snes or now neo geo.
20150729_140854_zps0whcyx1c.jpg

Last edited:

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Make sure you open up that MUSHA cart. Lots of boots and repros running around these days. Wicked price on that game if it's legit.

Thunderblaze16

New Challenger
Make sure you open up that MUSHA cart. Lots of boots and repros running around these days. Wicked price on that game if it's legit.

That's the first thing I always do with my game cartridges, it's just sad that in recent years we have to do this for Genesis games as well.
20150518_164448_zpsk1skywbo.jpg

Also check it out! A few days ago and after 2 months of waiting. I already got my first Neo Geo game ruined during shipping. Fucking thing came all wet.
WPxipOK.jpg

Am I pissed? Why yes, but at least I only paid $35 shipped for it. The manual and case are ruined.

Last edited:

cat

Just had a mega facepalm moment, after replying to thunderblaze's post i went to have a look on ebay for musha out of curisity, just pulled this out my jap genesis games please don't tell me i've been sitting on the jap version for the last 10 years and not known it, f***ing played it many, many times as well guy's, and alway's called it aleste...

IMG_20150729_185643979.jpg
IMG_20150729_185657755.jpg
IMG_20150729_185711718.jpg
IMG_20150729_185725602.jpg

Took these 20 mins ago...

cat

FFS, good game as well, should be legit being over 10 years old picked it up for peanuts as well, no more than £2-£3 back in the day, i gotta look through the rest of my jap shooters got a pile of them...

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
And I'm quite the noobie, but I had heard the blue converter was the "best" version?

The "blue" converter is the magickey MVS converter. It is just one of many converters available, (pranslation, daedalus, magickey, the one made by furrtek...) and it seems to be the one that better combines affordability with quality. There is a newer version of it that is light green in color. No clue about the differences with the blue one other than the shell color. If you want the very best converter available, in functionality terms, get a daedalus, but it is expensive as hell. I have the blue Magickey and it works perfect, except for NGDevTeam releases that do not work with it.

Regards.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Thanks for illustrating why everything is going to shit with this hobby.