Super Gameboy (SNES adapter) problem

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Having problems getting a PAL Super Gameboy adapter to work on a NTSC SNES Mini.
- I have lifted Pin 4 on the CIC chip inside the Super Gameboy so region wise we are fine
- I have extensively cleaned the cartridge pins with contact cleaner / rubber eraser but to no effect.
Basically I am just getting a black screen on boot up.

Any ideas?

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I understand this circumvents the challenge, which might be part of the point for you, but with how cheap Super Game Boys are, why not just buy an NTSC one? The Game Boy carts aren't region locked anyway.

juci

n00b
i have a pal super gameboy and ntsc snes mini, i was going to try this mod at some point.
ill post back tomorrow n see how i go.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I understand this circumvents the challenge, which might be part of the point for you, but with how cheap Super Game Boys are, why not just buy an NTSC one? The Game Boy carts aren't region locked anyway.

Its looking like the sensible option, however at some point one gets pissed off at having to pay for the same thing twice. Nintendo's whole region protection thing is just retarded - at the end of the day we are talking here about two pieces of original Nintendo hardware which some fcuker has on purpose made incompatible. Love the security screws on the Super Gameboy as well (thought having a triwing and a gamebit was enough, but no, they have to keep challenging you) - didn't have the right bit so needed to break in into my own SGB cart slowly twisting the screws with some small screwdrivers - gotta love em for all that.

juci

n00b
okay i got it to work but it was alittle more work than i thought, i removed the CIC completely and desoldered another CIC out of an ntsc cart.
i then got the pinout and soldered a few wires and it worked much to my surprise.

Pinout CIC left, SGB right:
16-19
1-1
2-2
7-6
8-7
9-8

WP_20150726_001.jpg

WP_20150726_003.jpg

hope this helps :)

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
okay i got it to work but it was alittle more work than i thought, i removed the CIC completely and desoldered another CIC out of an ntsc cart.
i then got the pinout and soldered a few wires and it worked much to my surprise.

Pinout CIC left, SGB right:
16-19
1-1
2-2
7-6
8-7
9-8

WP_20150726_001.jpg

WP_20150726_003.jpg

hope this helps :)

Thanks for this and appreciate taking the time to post the workaround. I haven't got any SNES NTSC carts to try this (that said even if I did I don't know if its worth sacrificing a SNES cart just to get the SGB to work) so probably at some point I will just pick up an NTSC SGB.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
probably at some point I will just pick up an NTSC SGB.

If you're going to get a NTSC SGB, get the Japanese Super Game Boy 2 - it plays games at the correct speed and also has a link port.

juci

n00b
I'd kill for a gbc or gba one, that displays 240p of course.
I just used a 1 dollar Japanese cart I had lying around.