MV-1 green screen

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
From what I have read it is the infamous "calendar error", but I have changed the crystal and meassured the 5v on pin 14 from the D4990, what else could be causing this?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The D4990 itself or the backup ram, maybe something like the F0.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
****! I already replaced the crystal, capacitors, 4990A and the F0, it has to be a broken trace but I can't see where it is, I have checked for continuity and all seems to be fine.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
I can barely undesrstand anything of what's writen in there, is that.... hungarian? so basically you are suggesting to replace 74HC32A? problem is that the board shown there is an MV1FZ....and mine is an MV-1

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Have you tried burning an EPROM with the diagnostics BIOS? it uusally helps with this king of strange issues. If you need help with it, I can help you.

Regards.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Try another 32.768KHz crystal or two, I find those are often the most picky part of fixing the green screen issue.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Have you tried burning an EPROM with the diagnostics BIOS? it uusally helps with this king of strange issues. If you need help with it, I can help you.

Regards.

My Vp-390 is toasted so I can't do any memory programming.

Try another 32.768KHz crystal or two, I find those are often the most picky part of fixing the green screen issue.

I already tried 2 crystals, it can not be that, can it?? I accidentally broke one leg on the first one though...

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
You'll never know for sure without an oscilloscope to check the crystal.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
My Vp-390 is toasted so I can't do any memory programming.

I can burn the EPROM and send it to you, unfortunately the shipping cost alone would be about $10. Funny considering how close Colombia is to Uruguay. If interested, let me know.

Regards.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
You'll never know for sure without an oscilloscope to check the crystal.

Already ordered 10 of those, I don't have an osciloscope to test the crystals, I use a logic probe to do my IC testings.

I can burn the EPROM and send it to you, unfortunately the shipping cost alone would be about $10. Funny considering how close Colombia is to Uruguay. If interested, let me know.

Regards.

Thanks for the offer, first I will try to find someone who can do it locally, if not I'll let you know.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Neogeo hardware.....what a pile of crap, another board died on me today, now a MV1-FZ with this stupid calendar error, this board was working fine until yesterday, anyways I'm giving these for free to anyone who wants them, just pay for shipping and its yours, both the MV1-FZ and an MV-1.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Neogeo hardware.....what a pile of crap, another board died on me today, now a MV1-FZ with this stupid calendar error, this board was working fine until yesterday, anyways I'm giving these for free to anyone who wants them, just pay for shipping and its yours, both the MV1-FZ and an MV-1.

Man, don't get angry. The hardware is not bad, it has quality components and many boards have lasted for more than 20 years working fine. However, as with anything, if the care is not proper, it may fail sooner than boards cared for properly. With that said, maybe we can help you fix these boards. If not, then please can you quote me on the shipping price of the boards to Colombia? they are likely a not-so-hard fix.

Regards.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Lol, I'm not angry, I'm just tired of these things dying on me for no aparent reasson, and believe me, I do take care of my stuff, and as I already said this thing was working just fine for like a month since I first left it installed in one of my cabs;

I'll get shipping rates to Colombia as soon as I can, which one do you want? MV-1 or 1FZ?....both??, I don't know if you have ever seen one these in person but for being just a 1 slot mobo the MV-1 is quit big.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Lol, I'm not angry, I'm just tired of these things dying on me for no aparent reasson, and believe me, I do take care of my stuff, and as I already said this thing was working just fine for like a month since I first left it installed in one of my cabs;

I'll get shipping rates to Colombia as soon as I can, which one do you want? MV-1 or 1FZ?....both??, I don't know if you have ever seen one these in person but for being just a 1 slot mobo the MV-1 is quit big.

Cool man. I'd prefer the MV1FZ, because as you say, the MV1 is quite big, and I've also read it has compatibility issues with some games.

Thanks!!

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Set all the DIP switch down.
What reports an error?

With all dipswitchs on it only shows "Work Ram Test"

Cool man. I'd prefer the MV1FZ, because as you say, the MV1 is quite big, and I've also read it has compatibility issues with some games.

Thanks!!

According to the AO wiki a MV1FZ weighs 750grs. so things goes like this,

Small Packet certified: $30 USD
Standard Mail: $25
EMS: $55
Express International: $62

we are assuming that the mobo once its packed inside a cardboard box does not weighs more than 1 kg, these are rates for "rest of America" as the Uruguayan post service does not have specific rates for Colombia, unlike Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Chile, Bolivia and Venezuela which have cheaper rates.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
With all dipswitchs on it only shows "Work Ram Test"

According to the AO wiki a MV1FZ weighs 750grs. so things goes like this,

Small Packet certified: $30 USD
Standard Mail: $25
EMS: $55
Express International: $62

we are assuming that the mobo once its packed inside a cardboard box does not weighs more than 1 kg, these are rates for "rest of America" as the Uruguayan post service does not have specific rates for Colombia, unlike Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Chile, Bolivia and Venezuela which have cheaper rates.

Cool man. I guess the $30 option is not that bad. Can you please send me a pic of the board? does it include the black plastic piece? I PM'd you my email address, for the pics. Let me know your paypal for the payment.

Thanks!!