Chassis Inspection / Questions

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
I bought a 2930 and 2931 for my Blast City and received them today. Had a couple questions and just looking for advice of what I should inspect on these. I might try to hook them up , not sure if I feel that brave yet :O

First up, jsut want to confirm the part numbers are correct

THis is a pick from giz10, doesnt look the same.... ms2931chassis.jpg

Tang looks weird, is this just bent?

Found this chilling in the packaging , but doesnt look used, maybe just fell in?Any idea what it is?

Black goo?Not worried if it is, my current chassis has it and it works fine.

Black crap surrounding the flyback? I wiped some off pretty easily, just dust maybe?

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
the black goo is non conductive so you're fine. In fact, the black goo horror stories are largely just urban legends. There's other reasons why the 2931 chassis fails.

The crud around the flyback is dust. You're good.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
the black goo is non conductive so you're fine. In fact, the black goo horror stories are largely just urban legends. There's other reasons why the 2931 chassis fails.

The crud around the flyback is dust. You're good.

Yeah my current chassis has black goo and works fine. I am a little worried that the 2931 doesnt match the pictures I have found online, there are some small differences, but I havent found any other chassis that it looks like. The tang and that extra part that was floating in the box also are a concern.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
do you see anywhere that part could be missing from on the board inspect it real good. Whats weird to me is that part doesnt even have solder remnants or anything like that on it you would think it would if it broke off the board. as for the tang not sure about that one have no experience with these monitors

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
That's because the 2931 chassis you think you have is NOT a 2931. It's either a 2933 (which is better) or a 2934 (VGA only).

I'm not at home, so I can't tell you for sure until I get home. But if you have a remote board with 3 buttons on it, then it's a 2933. If it has actual pots on it, then it's a 2934. The tang on the 2933 and 2934 look different than on the 2931.

Last edited:

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
That loose chip is the vertical IC. When a screen is collapsed that part usually went bad. Could be a sign that the chassis has collapsed and someone was intending on replacing it maybe?

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
That's because the 2931 chassis you think you have is NOT a 2931. It's either a 2933 (which is better) or a 2934 (VGA only).

I'm not at home, so I can't tell you for sure until I get home. But if you have a remote board with 3 buttons on it, then it's a 2933. If it has actual pots on it, then it's a 2934. The tang on the 2933 and 2934 look different than on the 2931.
It does look like the 2933 pics at AO and came with a 3 button remote board. I would assume it's fine to use with a 2930 tube then? How do you attach that tang exactly , do you have to spread them or push them in as is? Thanks for the confirmation, I figured it was different, is the 2933 better in any significant way?

That loose chip is the vertical IC. When a screen is collapsed that part usually went bad. Could be a sign that the chassis has collapsed and someone was intending on replacing it maybe?

Thanks punkic , I am going to compare it to my stock chassis when I pull it to check.

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
the 2933 isn't common, but it's what is in the New net City. it's easily the best auto Tri-sync chassis (I have one in my blast).

as for compatibility with the 2930 tube, 300Wins would know that.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
the 2933 isn't common, but it's what is in the New net City. it's easily the best auto Tri-sync chassis (I have one in my blast).

Pretty sure you can swap all those but the 2934. The curvature is not the same and is not as flat as the others like the 2930 tube.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,

Actually it's in the Net City. The Toshiba perfect flat is in the New Net City. And the Toshiba perfect flat in the NNC is bar none the best trisync! This coming from someone who's owned more Blast City than people have hair.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
It does look like the 2933 pics at AO and came with a 3 button remote board. I would assume it's fine to use with a 2930 tube then? How do you attach that tang exactly , do you have to spread them or push them in as is? Thanks for the confirmation, I figured it was different, is the 2933 better in any significant way?

Thanks punkic , I am going to compare it to my stock chassis when I pull it to check.

The tang attaches differently. You push it in and it hooks to the edges of the inside of the tube. The 2933 is better because it's basically an updated 2931, without the black goop and voltage issues. So it's a more reliable chassis.

And it *should* work on your 2930 tube. However, I once did have a problem putting one on a 2930 tube because it was dim and the colors just didn't look right, even after tweaking it. I know it wasn't the chassis because it was perfect in a different tube (one that used to have a 2931).

Last edited:

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Thanks guys, guess the only way to know is to hook it up. If i get some time this weekend I will brave it out and hook it up to test.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
I got the 2933 running, but the picture is very dim as 300wins warned about. Picture itself looks really good, but it just isnt bright. I tried adjust brightness and contrast on the remote board and then screen on the chassis. Any ideas?

Looks brighter in the picture than in person

Last edited: