Namco System 11 PCB - graphic problem/bleached picture (Star Sweep)

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I picked up the Namco System 11 game "Star Sweep" off of YAJ, which was listed as working. I'm guessing the PCB got damaged at some point in shipping as I'm getting a graphic problem where the whites are really bright and bleeding outward...or it's missing some shading layer. Hard to tell which exactly. I've tried it both on my supergun and my arcade cabinet with the same results, and what I'm seeing is definitely not how the graphics should look (compared against the Mame rom).

While this isn't an expensive board, it is an uncommon one to find. Any ideas on what I need to look for to fix this?

[If it's something surface mount related, I might need to enlist someone's help to repair this. @_@]

PCB GAME SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler:

20150603_145327_zpsgzio0cal.jpg

20150603_145352_zpsa8osbvre.jpg

20150603_145404_zpsv1akbq0l.jpg

20150603_145505_zpsgxnzkqht.jpg

20150603_145336_zpsrxqovcnp.jpg

MAME ROM SCREENSHOTS (for comparison):
Spoiler:

PCB:
Spoiler:
20150603_145759_zpsyv5cvyvw.jpg

There are two of the surface mount caps that were loose (one on the top sub-board wiggled, and one on the main board by the volume switch had a leg pulled off the pad). I fixed these on my end with some flux and small dabs of new solder to get them to attach to the board.
CAPS:
Spoiler:
20150603_145807_zpsmbloxgbt.jpg

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I've got a copy of this.... I don't recall it being overly bright on the whites but I could have a look later.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I've got a copy of this.... I don't recall it being overly bright on the whites but I could have a look later.

That would be great. ^_^

(Added some mame screenshots to my first post for comparison.)

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Ran my board for a bit, looks a lot more like MAME than what you're seeing. I can post pics if you want.

Wish I had ideas for you to troubleshoot... but yeah, something is definitely up with your board :(

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Anyone able to recommend someone that could repair this board?
If it were a more common board, I'd probably just buy another one. ^_^;

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
From what I remember, it's the surface mount chip that the video signals run through right at the JAMMA edge.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
From what I remember, it's the surface mount chip that the video signals run through right at the JAMMA edge.

So that little chip numbered PL13?

I have noticed that that the background music will randomly cut out on certain stages, but it'll be fine the next round.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wanted to give an update on this in case anyone has a problem with a System 11 board. Basically, there's a tiny little potentiometer on the top daughter board that's labeled "Video Level." Turn that and it'll tweak the video levels, which is what fixed my bleached and bleeding whites.

Some additional info I found:
http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=na...lang=en-US&w=5Vtqn4wKi19MhhBU1BmUHUJ0NZZMct36

Last edited: