FIFA officials arrested and to be extradited to USA for corruption.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/...ged-corruption-world-cups-also-probed-n365101

Wire fraud, corruption and racketeering. This will hopefully be the end of Sepp Blatter.

"Soccer's governing body FIFA was rocked by dual corruption probes Wednesday that included the arrest of one of its vice presidents and allegations of $150 million in bribes and kickbacks.

In a separate case, Swiss investigators also announced a criminal probe into alleged bribery linked to the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Seven high-ranking international soccer officials were detained in Switzerland as part of a U.S. investigation and hours later FIFA's headquarters in Zurich were raided and documents seized. A search warrant was also executed at the continental governing body CONCACAF's offices in Miami.

The arrests follow years of corruption allegations against FIFA and came the same week president Sepp Blatter was expected to be re-elected for a fifth term.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch said the U.S. indictment alleged "rampant, systemic, and deep-rooted" corruption that "spans at least two generations of soccer officials who ... abused their positions of trust to acquire millions of dollars in bribes and kickbacks."

Lynch added: "Undisclosed and illegal payments, kickbacks, and bribes became a way of doing business at FIFA."

Jeffrey Webb and Jack Warner — the current and former presidents of the Miami-based CONCACAF — were among 14 people charged with racketeering and bribery as part of a "24-year scheme to enrich themselves through the corruption of international soccer," the U.S. Department of Justice announced. Serving FIFA vice president Eugenio Figueredo, who runs the Uruguayan soccer federation, was also detained. Other defendants include sports marketing executives."

Article continues

spoonz

Quiz Detective
Uncle Jack boy.

Jack Warner is from my country and the big news this morning revolves around this and his possible extradition, which is rumored to have been signed off by our Attorney General.

Also reported this morning was that his sons face 20 years in prison for wire fraud among other things -
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150527/news/warner-brothers-plead-guilty-face-20-years-in-prison

Warner issued a statement locally this morning - http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150527/news/jack-speaks-i-am-innocent

Random Jack Warner stuff -

Warner is a sitting member of parliament who was part of the present government, but was asked to resign some years ago after the first set of allegations. Warner for the most part is liked by the population and he was always voted as the highest performing MP and Minister in the Govt ranks.

After his removal from the government, his seat was declared vacant and a bye election was held. Forming his own party he won his seat with an overwhelming majority breaking the status quo of tribal party politics in our country.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Better late than never.
Blatter never smelled like roses to me.
Unfortunatelly he's not getting caught ( yet, I hope ).

Sadly, It won't be the end of it all.

spoonz

Quiz Detective
Jack Warner has just surrendered to the fraud squad after a warrant was issued for his arrest. The Attorney General has begun the extradition process.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Blatter is in for another term as FIFA prez. The only available alternative is Prince Ali bin-something from Jordan... haha.

What they need to do is fire Blatter, cancel the Quatar WC and change the whole FIFA from top to bottom... which prolly will never happen.

Ah well, some big sponsors like McD's and a few others are beginning to fear for their reputation. Draining the flow of money towards those FIFA bastards would be the best way to stop them.

Love the sport but hate the system with a passion. It's foul and corrupt to the bone.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Why can't we have ex footballs run our beautiful game rather then these corrupt officials
If you had to choose a ex footballer to run Fifa who would it be.
Mine David beckham.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Why can't we have ex footballs run our beautiful game rather then these corrupt officials

Because FIFA is not really about the sport itself but making loadsamoney with the marketing rights.

An ex-footballer as FIFA prez wouldn't help to change things for the better IMO, what we need is a more democratic hierarchy and more transparency. Most decisions of the FIFA are made behind closed doors by a small handfull of board members in-the-know. If the money flow and decisions processes would be made public, there would be less opportunities for interested third parties to take influence on them.

Just take the appointment and election process for possible WC candidate countries for example. The election itself is made public only after years of wheeling and dealing behind the scenes, there is zero control of the negotiations that lead to a WC application of certain countries. Quatar won the bid by bribing Franz Beckenbauer who acted as some sort of FIFA ambassador on behalf of the association, everyone knows it but there is no controlling organ that could be used to find hard proof for it so they basically get aways with almost anything as long as they manage to keep certain information private. There's no way to convict them of anything if they don't self-incriminate themselves and this isn't going to happen.

The only sports council worse than FIFA is the world boxing association, but not by much. Bunch of corrupt seat-warmers, the lot of them.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Do you then think someone like David beckham could be brought out or corrupted by certain members of state to host the World Cup, now that will be a scandal of the century

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Blatter has stepped down as president of FIFA. My theory is that it could have something to do with the women's World Cup.

Blatter stated explicitly that he would never step foot on American soil because he felt threatened. Canada hosting the woman's World Cup meant that some official from FIFA would need to officiate the cup. His lieutenants were removed as options, leaving only him.

He threatened to suspend concacaf, which was funny since that would suspend the cup as well. Canada is part of concacaf. It couldn't happen. So his lack of foresight opened the way for him to be backed into a corner.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Cannot stand Blatter Palpatine. Good riddance!!!

Blatter has stepped down as president of FIFA. My theory is that it could have something to do with the women's World Cup.

Blatter stated explicitly that he would never step foot on American soil because he felt threatened. Canada hosting the woman's World Cup meant that some official from FIFA would need to officiate the cup. His lieutenants were removed as options, leaving only him.

He threatened to suspend concacaf, which was funny since that would suspend the cup as well. Canada is part of concacaf. It couldn't happen. So his lack of foresight opened the way for him to be backed into a corner.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Blatter has stepped down as president of FIFA.

:multi_co:

About fucking time.

I wonder how much it cost the sponsors and FIFA higher-ups to get rid of him...

Not that it will change FIFA in any way, though. I guess it would be naive to believe that.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm torn regarding Prince Ali bin al-Hussein if he happens to get the presidency.

So rich that the usual million here and there bribes are pathetically below him, or someone who has gotten that rich through a dynasty of corruption that it's just an unshakeable way of life?

He should be far better than Blatter but he could be a lot, lot worse.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm torn regarding Prince Ali bin al-Hussein if he happens to get the presidency.

So rich that the usual million here and there bribes are pathetically below him, or someone who has gotten that rich through a dynasty of corruption that it's just an unshakeable way of life?

He should be far better than Blatter but he could be a lot, lot worse.

This is true. I think that Platini has the highest odds of going through, but I don't find him incredibly trustworthy.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
fifa-memes_10.jpg

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Nice image evil hopely he get what coming to him
I really hope people boycott Fifa 16 due to the corruption , Ea must be hoping all this goes way Pryor to the releasing of the game in September I can see EA name being dragged thought the mud

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
If The FBI save world Football... i will personally adopt a US member as my legal heir to my collection of pubes...

xROTx

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
New flash Fifa scandal live: Ireland FA were paid €5m by Fifa not to protest Thierry Henry handball,
What's even more crazy in we got another Cold War between USA and Russia about to begin and guess we're the next World Cup is!

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fi...07-so-far-in-the-us-2015-06-08?dist=countdown

Edit: I'm reimagining the film as directed by Ken Burns, while the stills footage is still from the original movie.

FIFA’s multimillion-dollar movie “United Passions” crashed hard at the U.S. box office over the weekend, bringing in a reported $607 over two days.

The film’s budget was estimated to range between $25 million to $32 million, and the movie, which tells the history of FIFA, was mostly bankrolled by the soccer group, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

The film pulled in $607 on Friday and Saturday at 10 movie-theater locations across the U.S., the report said, citing a person described as having had access to Rentrak numbers. The full weekend tally and sales figures from the movie’s video-on-demand release were not yet available. Box-office tracker Rentrak said in an email to MarketWatch that it was awaiting Sunday figures for an official tally.

In possibly one of the worst-timed openings in history, the film’s release came days after the resignation of Sepp Blatter, the longtime president of FIFA, in the wake of a U.S. corruption probe involving 14 soccer officials. In the film, Tim Roth portrays Blatter as a man pushing back against corruption, warning FIFA’s board, “The slightest breach of ethics will be severely punished.”

One theater in Phoenix reported a gross of $9, which means only one person purchased a ticket, the report said. The film’s best return came from a theater in North Hollywood, which reported $164 in ticket sales.

Critics mostly panned the film, which also stars Sam Neill and Gerard Depardieu, with the New York Times calling it “unwatchable.”

The Guardian went a step further, labeling the film “cinematic excrement” and describing it as “two hours of wretched, self-congratulatury FIFA history [that makes for] disastrous cinema, but valuable proof of corporate insanity.”

Last edited:

MuppeT

War Room Troll
This is so ironic .. US among any nation chasing FIFA for corruption charges ... and strangely enough this was the exact next day after FIFA announced they will sanction Israeli teams.
Don't forget right now there are 9 trillion dollars missing in the federal reserve and 5 trillion unaccounted in the Pentagon .. but hey .. LETS GET FIFA !!!

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
This is so ironic .. US among any nation chasing FIFA for corruption charges ... and strangely enough this was the exact next day after FIFA announced they will sanction Israeli teams.
Don't forget right now there are 9 trillion dollars missing in the federal reserve and 5 trillion unaccounted in the Pentagon .. but hey .. LETS GET FIFA !!!

Did I miss something?....

...and i don't mean the 18 trillion dollars debt mountain...

I mean... this IS about foozballz... right?

xROTx

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Did I miss something?....

...and i don't mean the 18 trillion dollars debt mountain...

I mean... this IS about foozballz... right?

xROTx

It is also about prioritizing ... chasing around 80-90 year old FIFA fagitz isn't something that the US should be doing right now....

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
It is also about prioritizing ... chasing around 80-90 year old FIFA fagitz isn't something that the US should be doing right now....

IF You used that line of thinking... you would start to question stupid shit... like...

1) Invading Iraq...
2) ...Intervening in Syria...
3) Arming Middle East countries and then finding out IS has "acquired" those weapons....

...Let's concentrate on ze Foozballz... and not on quasi-political dumbness...

xROTx

MuppeT

War Room Troll
IF You used that line of thinking... you would start to question stupid shit... like...

1) Invading Iraq...
2) ...Intervening in Syria...
3) Arming Middle East countries and then finding out IS has "acquired" those weapons....

...Let's concentrate on ze Foozballz... and not on quasi-political dumbness...

xROTx

you shoot to kill as usual ;)