How do you protect your games from sun fade?

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
This might be a stupid question, but how does everyone display their game collections while preventing all the spines fading from sun damage?

I'd like to get some proper shelves for my AES games eventually, but if they're in a sun lit room won't they fade over time?

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Someone please explain to me why I should want to own anything AES related?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
My game room's windows are tinted so 99.9% of UV is blocked. Is sunfade really an issue in the UK though? :keke:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The best way to protect them is to put them in a bank vault and forget about them. Not like they are going to get played anyway.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

The best way to protect them is to put them in a bank vault and forget about them. Not like they are going to get played anyway.

raiders17.png

Or replace all inserts with reproductions and store the originals in a safety deposit box.

Focus people, this is srs business!

alsmoneo

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
totally agree with what Panda said.. :lol:

too bad i don't own any AES stuff

But then again i guess buying a fire proof safe or having one built in the house should work as well

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah, they fade over time, and it doesn't even have to be direct sunlight. Use shelf doors with UV-proof glass if you want to be on the safe side.

Personally I'm not worried about sunfade of my gaming stuff but prefer to keep the lot in a closed cupboard. I'm beyond the age when displaying video games was cool. :)

I play all my homecarts on a regular basis. Not all homecart owners are collectors, you know, and not all MVS owners are true gamers. I know quite a few of them who want to recreate the homecart feeling by spending lotsa money on high-q insert prints and full kits so it's all relative I'd say.

The MVS street-cred thing is getting old, that's for sure.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I try not to throw AOF out of the window after loosing to the CPU - that's about the best protection my MVS carts get.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
My game room's windows are tinted so 99.9% of UV is blocked. Is sunfade really an issue in the UK though? :keke:

:) We get the sun, it just doesn't seem to make it any warmer.

I play my AES games which is why I'd want them displayed in a games room, for easy access. Shelves with a door might be a good idea, I don't need them on show, just rather not have them away in boxes anymore.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I keep some very opaque blinds closed at all times, but Im honestly not too worried about it

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
You could have these guys make you some very expensive UV resistant acrylic cases for them.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
this is the best solution:
Spoiler:
no, srsly
Spoiler:
Satin_Smooth_Sunblock.jpg

MuppeT

War Room Troll
you go in the desert and bury them ... worked wonders for Atari.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
This might be a stupid question, but how does everyone display their game collections while preventing all the spines fading from sun damage?

I'd like to get some proper shelves for my AES games eventually, but if they're in a sun lit room won't they fade over time?

I hide my collection in a box, but I always use a big umbrella when I take them to the beach.

Uhh they are far superior to MVS carts.

Last edited:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Yeah, they fade over time, and it doesn't even have to be direct sunlight. Use shelf doors with UV-proof glass if you want to be on the safe side.

I play all my homecarts on a regular basis. Not all homecart owners are collectors, you know, and not all MVS owners are true gamers.

+8

My homecarts all get played - all of them. I don't purposely scratch the sides to make them appear played, but I don't baby them either. The shelf they are on does get sunlight 3 hours a day or so. If they get faded, they get faded. If it bothers me, i'll get a replacement artsheet I guess.

I think most sunfade is related to JP copies that sat in JP shop window sunlight for 12 hours a day for years. Most games in your home should be just fine.

I had a Breakers homecart that came with sunfaded spine. Probably lowered the value by 20% or so when I went to sell it. Meh.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
You could build a cheap sunshade made from shitty mvs carts

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
+8

My homecarts all get played - all of them. I don't purposely scratch the sides to make them appear played, but I don't baby them either. The shelf they are on does get sunlight 3 hours a day or so. If they get faded, they get faded. If it bothers me, i'll get a replacement artsheet I guess.

I think most sunfade is related to JP copies that sat in JP shop window sunlight for 12 hours a day for years. Most games in your home should be just fine.

I had a Breakers homecart that came with sunfaded spine. Probably lowered the value by 20% or so when I went to sell it. Meh.
I think a lot of the value of a rare (and popular) AES game is in the rarity, rather than whether the condition is mint, or only near mint. Some of the rarest MVS games (like SSVS) are worth a lot now, and their condition wouldn't be a major factor in their value.