Why do you like NEO GEO so much?

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I've been wondering this about myself.
I remember the first time I saw an AES.it was set up as a store demo. Coolest thing ever. Believe it was the year it came out. So I was 8 or 9.
Do I like the nostalgic novelty of being able to acquire something from my childhood that I couldn't have back then? Is that more important than the actual game selection? Or do I really like the game selection? Or, is it just awesowm to be able to buy it now that I'm an adult and can just cuz I feel like it.

Both? Don't know...

Probably all of the above.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I like the Neo in particular because of game selection and nostalgia. I did not know some of the best games when I was a kid, for sure I had no idea of Pulstar, Viewpoint, Blazing Star, Shock Troopers, but I knew about Metal Slugs, King of Fighters, Samurai Shodowns, Fatal Furies, Garous, Art of Fightings and Aero Fighters. I loved the games I knew from the start and for sure I spent much money on them. Now that I can buy them, and play them all I want without some snnoying kid challenging me and getting me out of the machine, I do. It's the single system i play the most, much more than my SNES, Genesis or Famicom.

I like it because the chicks dig it.

Nah man, for most ladies I know the Neo Geo is nothing, because nobody had an AES here in Colombia at the time, and girls did not go to arcades, so they had no clue about any/most of these games. A girl friend of mine saw Ninja Commando and told me "I know that game!!!". Turned out she confused it with Level 2 of Super C. Chicks do have a soft sport for NES/SNES however, because of Mario. It seems being fat, with red overalls and moustache is what the chicks dig.

Regards.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I like the Neo 'cause of Terry at first, he was too cool for school back in the day. Later on I realized there was a whole lot more shit for it and the fighting games were right up my alley. The Neo for me was all about arcade, in Colombia there wasn't a whole lot of noise over the console.

Edit: Oh man too funny, just checked your post, goes to show were both true Colombians...

Last edited:

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I do not run into many people that even know what the Neo Geo is in general.

I am still learning about games that I never knew existed. And it is awesome

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Sure does man. Definitely growing back in the 80's in Colombia was fun times :)

Regards
So fun, I remember walking through Cali downtown...and we both know that downtown there isn't like downtown here, you gotta be on your toes at all times, I used to dress down quite frequently to blend in unnoticed, "Malicia Indigena al piso!"...and going to this arcade that was loaded with people playing SFII, the real competition was there, everything else was just meh, you had to play to survive, I think that's how I developed the cheapness 'cause everytime I tried to play "classy" it was a loss, had to be a cheap fuck in order to win. The best players were "Los Gamines" homeless kids and the "Loteritos" you know, them kids selling lotto on the streets.

Good fucking times, I miss my home.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I like the Neo 'cause of Terry at first, he was too cool for school back in the day.
in denial gaiss...

Spoiler:
ba_dum_tss_pirates_band_of_misfits.gif

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The Neo-Geo is just badass. Which other video game console came with a 4 button arcade stick? The games are amazing and still playable today. The Packaging, console design, cart design is unique. Unlike any other cartridge system.

I feel that the Neo over the years has lost a lot of its luster though. I always wanted it to be that unique system that not many people knew about. Its kind of hard to explain. I just wanted the system to remain special. I feel that all these recent ports and hipsters with there stupid videos and blogs messed it up for all the hard core fans. Now everyone has a Neo-Geo.

Last edited:

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
The Neo-Geo is just badass. Which other video game console came with a 4 button arcade stick? The games are amazing and still playable today. The Packaging, console design, cart design is unique. Unlike any other cartridge system.

+1 to that!

For me, it's a combo of nostalgia, and game selection. Though being honest, the only Neo titles I have true nostalgia for are the first Samurai Shodown, Art of Fighting 1, and The Super Spy, since they were the only Neo games I played when I was young. I mean, I played the living hell out of them, every chance I got to hit up that sweet big red in the local arcade (and because of Samurai Shodown, I've wanted an AES pretty much my entire life, even if I only ever had that game for it), but I only became familiar the vast majority of the Neo catalogue within the last 7 years or so. Got hooked on the rest through a combination of roms, or collection/anthology discs, enough to decide I needed the real deal. Once I finally got one in my hands, it was over. Easily among my most satisfying buys, it remains among my most played systems.

Last edited:

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Never knew about the Neo Geo until i started retro-gaming, so i could play Steert Fighter 2 and TMNT: Turtles in Time on the snes again. I love fighting games so the Neo Geo was the perfect system for me. I directly fell in love with Samurai Shodown 2, however after a while it's the Slugs and Blazing Star that kept me going. Now almost 3 years later, i am the proud owner of an AES, CD and Super Neo 29 candy cab.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I like it because it was a Quantum Leap in gaming back in the day. It even said so on the box.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
You have been found guilty by the elders of the town of uttering the word RETRO!!!!

:D

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent

I feel that the Neo over the years has lost a lot of its luster though. I always wanted it to be that unique system that not many people knew about. Its kind of hard to explain. I just wanted the system to remain special. I feel that all these recent ports and hipsters with there stupid videos and blogs messed it up for all the hard core fans. Now everyone has a Neo-Geo.

true that! playing kof 94 back in the day in the arcades and to find out years later, that it was avaliable on the neo system, that was a selling point for me. the arcade experience brought home with a beautiful design of a console and with a library of awesome games is the reason why i love the neo. its also cool to show people who've never played the neo geo the awesome games for it and for them to love it and want to play it even more. one of my most played consoles in my collection

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
I don't understand how you could play games in the 90s and not even hear of the Neo Geo.

Ban pls ;)

im sure there are a lot more people who gamed in the 90s who never heard of the neo than you think. A lot of gamers i know who gamed in the 90s know little or nothing about the neo.