Chihiro display issues

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I know the CHIHIRO is really picky with video signals, but I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for how to get it to display properly on an LCD TV that can't accept the raw signal via VGA.

- The LCD TV has a VGA port, but it can't accept the Chihiro's signal through it.

- I tried using a "CGA/EGA/YUV to VGA Arcade HD-Converter PCB (GBS-8220)" and can get my TV to display the picture. But it is basically unplayable because the picture goes from dark to completely bleached white in about two minutes.

- I tried one of these VGA TO HDMI converters (since I read it worked with a Dreamcast) to see if I could pipe the signal either directly to my TV or using the XRGB MINI FRAMEMEISTER to pass the signal through to the TV, but can't get any type of signal to display. I tried the four 60p & 60i HDMI settings on the XRGB, but no luck there either.

Anyone have any suggestions to get the Chihiro to display? @_@

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Use a converter board to filter the signal.

Like the GBS-8220

Picture may look like shit though.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Use a converter board to filter the signal.

Like the GBS-8220

Picture may look like shit though.

I've tried using a GBS-8200. It'll display a picture, but the games are basically unplayable as the picture will go from dark to completely bleached white in about two minutes. Reset the cable, and it'll do the same thing again two minutes later.

I'm curious if there's a way to pipe a VGA signal through the XRGB Mini Framemeister (which doesn't have a vga port), but I haven't had luck so far with using a VGA TO HDMI Converter.

Last edited:

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Are you sure it is outputting the correct 640x480, or is it maybe using the VGA port to display 15KHz "240p" RGB?

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I've tried using a GBS-8200. It'll display a picture, but the games are basically unplayable as the picture will go from dark to completely bleached white in about two minutes. Reset the cable, and it'll do the same thing again two minutes later.

I'm curious if there's a way to pipe a VGA signal through the XRGB Mini Framemeister (which doesn't have a vga port), but I haven't had luck so far with using a VGA TO HDMI Converter.

That's normal drifting like that until you use the clamp setting. Sorry I don't have one here to talk you through it but if you start googling that you will find countless posts on Klov of people with that prob dropping lcd tvs into racing cabs. I usually just mention that and they always get it resolved :-)

Westcb

Oh here's a quote from one of those posts I'll save you a search:
Blades
02-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Set your Clamp st to 3 and Clamp sp to 4 and it should fix that issue. I had the same thing on a GBS-8220.

Hey thank you for this suggestion. I had everything set up on my Crusin USA. And when I first turned everything on, it was all good. Then the screen would slowly get so damn White and washed out you could hardly see anything. And it was the converters fault. Changed it to the lower CLAMP settings and now its all good. Thanks again for the Tip!

;

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Oh here's a quote from one of those posts I'll save you a search:
Blades
02-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Set your Clamp st to 3 and Clamp sp to 4 and it should fix that issue. I had the same thing on a GBS-8220.

Hey thank you for this suggestion. I had everything set up on my Crusin USA. And when I first turned everything on, it was all good. Then the screen would slowly get so damn White and washed out you could hardly see anything. And it was the converters fault. Changed it to the lower CLAMP settings and now its all good. Thanks again for the Tip!

;

I'll give this Clamp Setting bit a try later tonight. Thanks for pointing that out.

Are you sure it is outputting the correct 640x480, or is it maybe using the VGA port to display 15KHz "240p" RGB?

What are the dip switch settings for the Chihiro to do 15khz and 32khz? I've seen conflicting info on that.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Okay, I set "Clamp st = 3" and "Clamp sp = 4" on my GBS-8200, but that ended up just making the screen 1/4 bright and 3/4 dark.

20150401_230022_zpsa7vmoauc.jpg

20150401_230035_zpshdhmzjvs.jpg

Westcb

Okay, I set "Clamp st = 3" and "Clamp sp = 4" on my GBS-8200, but that ended up just making the screen 1/4 bright and 3/4 dark.

20150401_230022_zpsa7vmoauc.jpg

20150401_230035_zpshdhmzjvs.jpg

Those settings can depend on your TV from what I understand, did you try other combos, but a better fix is to make sure your dips are set for 31hz 640x480 as was suggested. I do not know them myself :-/

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Those settings can depend on your TV from what I understand, did you try other combos, but a better fix is to make sure your dips are set for 31hz 640x480 as was suggested. I do not know them myself :-/

I have my dip switches set like this:
"DIP settings are 1,2 & 5 off, rest on"

I tried turning playing around with turning those dip switches on, but all I could see happen was Dip Switch 1 turned the screen vertical.

But no real luck with the black screen issue.

Last edited:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I played around some more with the settings on my GBS-8200/ GBS-8220 and found these Clamp settings don't have any of the blackness or bleached white issues. It's not perfect, but the picture is of a playable quality without the color changes and having to reset it every few minutes.

CLAMP ST = 43 (I think anything between 42~49 might work)
CLAMP SP = 0

Last edited: