PDA

View Full Version : Metal Slug 2 slowdown reduction patch

Pages : [1] 2

system11
03-29-2015, 02:53 PM
http://blog.system11.org/?p=1442

Now you can enjoy smoother Metal Slug 2 without overclocking. Actually with OC it might even run as fast as X, but my motherboard is just a standard one.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01mKdvROAKA

Kid Panda
03-29-2015, 03:13 PM
This
Is
Rad

More proof that 2 > X

pulstar
03-29-2015, 03:21 PM
Cool. Interesting to know that SNK built Metal Slug X from the ground up. I was always of the opinion that X > 2, but after playing 2 quite a lot it does feel a little better (and with this, hopefully better still). Can't wait to try this.

Ray
03-29-2015, 03:30 PM
That looks like a pretty significant improvement! Fantastic job!
Now I'm just wondering how well this would run in 2 player mode. I love Metal Slug 2 but 2 player in that just goes way overboard with the slowdown.

system11
03-29-2015, 03:31 PM
Yeah it's not night and day, but it feels better to play, sadly that's as far as it can really go without disabling graphical features or rewriting lots of code. Trap15 had a look into this for me after I .. encouraged him to spend some time on it for me, but there were no other obvious big wins to be had. I guess that's why SNK wrote a new engine in the first place.

system11
03-29-2015, 03:34 PM
That looks like a pretty significant improvement! Fantastic job!
Now I'm just wondering how well this would run in 2 player mode. I love Metal Slug 2 but 2 player in that just goes way overboard with the slowdown.

It would still be terrible in 2p I'm afraid. The train level is still pretty rough too, apparently the code which tracks the train movement is somehow really slow.

Ray
03-29-2015, 03:44 PM
It would still be terrible in 2p I'm afraid. The train level is still pretty rough too, apparently the code which tracks the train movement is somehow really slow.

Yeah, I figured that would be the case... Still, even with the slowdown MS2 is still a blast to play with 1 player, and this fix would help a lot, especially with some of the more notorious choking points like the bridge on the final mission.

Razoola
03-29-2015, 04:22 PM
Very nice work.

I wonder if this is something the unibios could catch via a cheat?? I may have a look if I find some free time to see if that's doable if your ok with that.

Raz

aha2940
03-29-2015, 04:33 PM
Nice work!! can a M27C160 be used with the fixed code in the lower half and the original code in the upper half (or viceversa) and solder a switch to the highest address line to switch between version? also, I guess some jumpers gotta be moved in the board, right?

Regards.

GadgetUK
03-29-2015, 04:51 PM
Yes a 27C160 will work as a replacement for the 27C800. Just lift pin 1 (A18) and switch that between 5v (via 4K7 resistor) and ground on the other end of the switch. If the cart is using a 1Mb chip already there's no need to change the jumpers.

It's also cleaner to use a 74HCT161 or something to switch between ROMs using reset. I did that on my Magician Lord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXWZlWuGljk

aha2940
03-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Yes a 27C160 will work as a replacement for the 27C800. Just lift pin 1 (A18) and switch that between 5v (via 4K7 resistor) and ground on the other end of the switch. If the cart is using a 1Mb chip already there's no need to change the jumpers.

Nice, I think I'll give this a go when I fix the issue I'm having with 27C160's and my programmer.

Thanks!!

system11
03-29-2015, 05:02 PM
Very nice work.

I wonder if this is something the unibios could catch via a cheat?? I may have a look if I find some free time to see if that's doable if your ok with that.

Raz

I'd actually like it to be kept standalone for a few reasons.

trap15
03-29-2015, 05:15 PM
With a 16MHz overclock and the patch, the game is smooth as butter. As good or better than stock MSX in the frame rate department.

kuze
03-29-2015, 05:37 PM
Nice work! Do you think it would ever be possible to sub in the entire Slug X engine so no OC is needed?

bustedstr8
03-29-2015, 05:47 PM
Nice work!! can a M27C160 be used with the fixed code in the lower half and the original code in the upper half (or viceversa) and solder a switch to the highest address line to switch between version? also, I guess some jumpers gotta be moved in the board, right?

Regards.

It's also cleaner to use a 74HCT161 or something to switch between ROMs using reset. I did that on my Magician Lord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXWZlWuGljk

I remember we where talking about doing the switch with reset about a year ago. Cool to see at least someone did it :)
Are you able to test and see if the /RST is pulsed when you switch games on a multislot?

trap15
03-29-2015, 05:55 PM
Nice work! Do you think it would ever be possible to sub in the entire Slug X engine so no OC is needed?

Not really. If that was something someone wanted to do, they'd have much better luck just hacking X to change things to be like 2. Trying to replace an entire engine's just not worth it or really feasible.

Xian Xi
03-29-2015, 06:13 PM
Fucking sweet. Thanks a bunch to you and your team for helping with the slowdown in MS2. Looks awesome. You guys already made my year.

GhostSeed
03-29-2015, 06:53 PM
Nice work! I'll have to let my friend know about this, he loves that game.

HMG
03-29-2015, 06:57 PM
It is now time to crack open my Slug 2 carts and give them the engine facelift they so desperately need.

Thank you kind person for taking pity on the rest of us!

kuze
03-29-2015, 07:00 PM
Not really. If that was something someone wanted to do, they'd have much better luck just hacking X to change things to be like 2. Trying to replace an entire engine's just not worth it or really feasible.

Makes sense. Thanks for the work you put into this. Will definitely give it a try!

shadowkn55
03-29-2015, 07:33 PM
This
Is
Rad

More proof that 2 > X

You mean this wasn't enough?

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q100/shadowkn55/slug2x_zps5a347e06.png

trap15
03-29-2015, 07:33 PM
For those curious about what exactly the problem was and what was changed to fix it, I wrote a technical explanation of things: http://daifukkat.su/blog/archives/2015/03/30/its_turbo_time/
Forgive how terse and technical the writing is, but I tried to give a decent explanation while not leaving out details.

Xian Xi
03-29-2015, 07:43 PM
For those curious about what exactly the problem was and what was changed to fix it, I wrote a technical explanation of things: http://daifukkat.su/blog/archives/2015/03/30/its_turbo_time/
Forgive how terse and technical the writing is, but I tried to give a decent explanation while not leaving out details.

Nice, so it did have something to do with updating, just not game logic. From the comparison vids it's like night and day. Is it true that in the PS2 MS Anthology version of MS2 that SNK just super over clocked the game to try and fix the slowdown?

trap15
03-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Well, I'd really not call it even updating. It's just the lock code is terrible. The game logic is really slow though, as system11's post mentions. It's really really slow. They didn't put much work into optimizing the game.

I'm assuming the anthology versions just overclock the emulated machine, yeah. I doubt they went through the effort to optimize it. I've not looked, but I don't think it's even worth checking; it's almost a guarantee.

jepjepjep
03-29-2015, 10:18 PM
Nice work guys!

BIG BEAR
03-30-2015, 12:37 AM
Very Cool. Thank you.
I was thinking Fatal Fury Special is really in need of a TURBO MODE if possible...
BB

novabomb
03-30-2015, 02:41 AM
Very nice job, I wish I was this technical. Anyways thanks.

Razoola
03-30-2015, 03:00 AM

No problem, If you change you mind in the future please let me know. Don't expect the multicart makers to be so understanding.

Can you confirm you will be keeping the game ID at 0x0941 in case you make future changes so I can tie that ID in the unibios to the standard MS2 cheats? Ohh and for high score saving also.

xsq
03-30-2015, 03:31 AM
http://rack.3.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEzLzA3LzA1LzY5L0ZyaWVuZHMxLmUxYzBjLmdpZgpwCX RodW1iCTEyMDB4OTYwMD4/39d559d8/aad/Friends1.gif

ThGame
03-30-2015, 04:02 AM
This is pretty big news! Good job, cant wait to check it out!

Razoola
03-30-2015, 04:04 AM
I have looked at this a little more now in relation to unibios feature support only and I would suggest you do not change the game ID from 0241 to 0941. Although I can see your logic and understand the reason for changing it there is one factor you may not be aware of as a consequence of this change.

An updated unibios supporting this game ID is required if you want to be able to correctly play this version on an AES in Arcade mode. All Metal Slug games have this same issue (apart from MS1) and the unibios works around it but it expects an ID of 241 for Metal Slug 2 and not 941.

I can easily add 941 to a future unibios version to fix this issue (and add highscore saving and cheats) but it may be easier to simply keep the ID at 241 so people will not require a new unibios.

SmokeMonster
03-30-2015, 04:51 AM
May I ask what the reasons are? Having Unibios support would bring this to so many more people, especially if it works with multi-carts. It would also save all of those physical copies of MS2 that have to be operated on for the fix.

Razoola
03-30-2015, 04:58 AM
May I ask what the reasons are? Having Unibios support would bring this to so many more people, especially if it works with multi-carts. It would also save all of those physical copies of MS2 that have to be operated on for the fix.

for me that's not really important, it may not even be possible anyway I don't know.

Atro
03-30-2015, 05:43 AM
This is excellent.

System11, you should reconsider Raz on the Unibios thing.
That would avoid tons of MS2 to be modified.
I understand you have your concerns, but at least think about it ;)

Plus ( altough it's just a small minority ) , AES carts would benefit from that too as nobody would want to "ruin" their copy.

Xian Xi
03-30-2015, 07:19 AM
If I modified mine it would have both versions with a digital switch via reset.

system11
03-30-2015, 07:53 AM

system11
03-30-2015, 07:57 AM
An updated unibios supporting this game ID is required if you want to be able to correctly play this version on an AES in Arcade mode. All Metal Slug games have this same issue (apart from MS1) and the unibios works around it but it expects an ID of 241 for Metal Slug 2 and not 941.

Ah now this is a valid issue, I'll have a word with trap about it. Until that number was changed (under mame at least) it was refusing to pick up the cart name change unless the number changed too.

Razoola
03-30-2015, 08:22 AM
Ah now this is a valid issue, I'll have a word with trap about it. Until that number was changed (under mame at least) it was refusing to pick up the cart name change unless the number changed too.

Yes that would happen and normal because the backupRAM only saves the name the first time its stored, if there is already a MS2 store in backupRAM it won't update. If you clear the backupRAM from test mode however it should then pickup the new name. That new name will stay even if a original MS2 is added back.

It gets a little complex but its not a good idea to compare in emulation backupRAM related situations because emulation does not treat it in the same way as real hardware. MAME saves a separate backupRAM for every game. Real hardware only saves backupRAM for a possible 8 games and I would say that it is unlikely someone will use your patch and the original ms2 together in normal situations on real hardware unless its simply to compare.

Personally If I had done the patch I would have left the game ID and game strings the same and instead maybe have something drawn on the title page to show its your turbo version.

fremen
Hi,

Thanks system11 for this improvement and Raz thank you very much in advance for the future change in the Unibios support.

Un saludo

hnns
Awesome stuff! Thank you for the efforts.

kuze
03-30-2015, 08:39 AM
Anyone got a link to an appropriate socket for this?

Edit: nvm looks like they are a standard pitch, just ordered some off fleabay.

aha2940
03-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Anyone got a link to an appropriate socket for this?

Edit: nvm looks like they are a standard pitch, just ordered some off fleabay.

Be aware that it may be difficult to close the cart if you put a socket in the board. You may have to trim some of the plastic from the shell.

Regards.

kuze
03-30-2015, 11:37 AM
Be aware that it may be difficult to close the cart if you put a socket in the board. You may have to trim some of the plastic from the shell.

Regards.

Yeah I saw system11 mentioned that in his blog post. Fine by me, I'd rather have a socket so I can swap in the original ROM easily if I feel like it.

shadowkn55
03-30-2015, 11:44 AM
Yeah I saw system11 mentioned that in his blog post. Fine by me, I'd rather have a socket so I can swap in the original ROM easily if I feel like it.

You can install the turbo patch into sockets ep1 and ep2 if you remove the jumper that connects p1 /oe to ground and tie it to +5v.

BladeDancer314
03-30-2015, 11:45 AM
Nice, so it did have something to do with updating, just not game logic. From the comparison vids it's like night and day. Is it true that in the PS2 MS Anthology version of MS2 that SNK just super over clocked the game to try and fix the slowdown?

Not sure how they did it but ms2 on the ps2 has no slowdown.

It does feel like it's just overclocked tho.

aha2940
03-30-2015, 11:54 AM
You can install the turbo patch into sockets ep1 and ep2 if you remove the jumper that connects p1 /oe to ground and tie it to +5v.

So, by using this method it is also possible to switch between the turbo/regular chips, by switching...OE I think?

Thanks!!

shadowkn55
03-30-2015, 02:39 PM
Not sure how they did it but ms2 on the ps2 has no slowdown.

It does feel like it's just overclocked tho.

I don't know about the ps2 version but the wii is like that. I messed with the wii version and it had the ms2 roms in it unaltered.

So, by using this method it is also possible to switch between the turbo/regular chips, by switching...OE I think?

Thanks!!

Yes.

Razoola
03-31-2015, 07:05 AM
@System11,

I have another suggestion for you. If you are still set on trying to find a way to keep the ID at 941 another option would be to include patches to patch out the game protection. This is related to writes and checks to address 0xD00100 (used for backupRAM protection). Doing that would solve the issue I mention above as the unibios would not need to work around that protection any longer with your mod.

mjsaville
03-31-2015, 07:16 AM
I for one have MS2 on a couple of Multi-Carts, and would love the increased frame rate, etc.

However if the patch cannot be tied to the UNIBios then a lot of people will not justify purchasing the MS2 cart + EPROM programmer just for the slight performance increase. I personally would be gutted too.

The other side of the coin is - I'm off to buy up all the MS2 Carts on ebay :glee:, as a price increase must surely be around the corner when people rush to buy them to modify. This I think would be sad though....

In short, I hope "System11" reconsiders so it can be tied to the UNIBios, the UNIBios has come so far over the years it is the logical place for storing fixes and patches like this.

bustedstr8
03-31-2015, 01:36 PM
I had a bunch of 27C4096 so I went with those.

Remove J10 and move to J1 if needed. Seems like most boards will have J1 populated all ready.

Use a pull up resistor on the P1 /OE from the bottom of J8,J9 or J10 to the top of JB5 or JB6

Split 941-P1. First 512KB on EP1, Second 512KB on EP2. Burn onto two 27C4002/27C4096 eproms 120ns or faster.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7599/16804063498_b5eeec2ab4_b.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8684/16369410074_dcc2a027ff_h.jpg

Xian Xi
03-31-2015, 08:57 PM
Forgot I sold my MS MVS set last year, luckily I found an MS2 mask rom boot. Pulled the p1 and put in the new data and played a game. I would say that the fix made a huge improvement over the original speed. I'd say it's an increase of 60-75%, feels great.

SNKorSWM
04-01-2015, 01:58 AM
Very nice. Would this be also applicable to fix other games with slowdown like Shock Troopers 2nd Squad?

Razoola
04-01-2015, 02:11 AM
Its sounds like this fix as well as an 16mhz overclock will allow the game to play very fast on a neogeo.

bustedstr8
04-07-2015, 05:56 PM
Me and EG put one together and put a couple hours of play on it. We first credit fed it 2player. It seemed to be doing well until level 3. Pretty much any time after that if we both used HMG and anything more than a couple sprites where on screen it ground to down to a crawl. Overall 2player is just as painful as it ever was.

Now one player is a different story. Almost all the places where the original slowed down the Turbo roms fixed it completely. A good example is the airboats, the turbo roms blast right through them.
It doesn't fix it all, like the final bridge, but the overall pacing an feel for the game is now no longer a grind and is a real joy to play.

Electric Grave
04-07-2015, 06:39 PM
I'm so grateful, you did it all man, I was just there barely holding a diode straight. I want DZ to play it and experience the changes, he swears by MS2, wait 'till he gets his hands on this version.

Xian Xi
04-07-2015, 07:04 PM
I'm so grateful, you did it all man, I was just there barely holding a diode straight. I want DZ to play it and experience the changes, he swears by MS2, wait 'till he gets his hands on this version.

Coming from an MS2 fan, he'll love it.

Electric Grave
04-07-2015, 07:11 PM
I love MS2 as well, I just haven't played it as much as X and thus I can't truly appreciate the differences in detail as much as someone who has played MS2 to no end.

hungar
04-09-2015, 06:42 AM
Just wanna say thanks to system 11 this is mine and my boys favourite neo game. Gonna do this on the w/e, very excited :)

system11
04-09-2015, 03:24 PM
Had a long think about the NBH and so on, and I'm afraid I'm happy with the release as it is. It does what it set out to do in the way I wanted.

So, if anyone out there with an AES and a MVS cart wants to use it, you'll need to fix the number yourself before you burn the chip. Get a hex editor, change address 109h from 09 to 02. Job done.

Just converted a mint cart which is my permanent keeper now, having the chance to switch my socketed one back to the normal version showed me the difference is actually greater on MVS than it is in MAME, just wow.

Yagyu Jubei
04-09-2015, 04:27 PM
It is now time to crack open my Slug 2 carts and give them the engine facelift they so desperately need.

Thank you kind person for taking pity on the rest of us!

Word! I've been waiting for something like this forever. This is awesome!

system11
04-10-2015, 04:58 PM
I've had to update this so that it's a patcher instead of just distributing the ROM. Annoyed. Someone suggested it to be helpful elsewhere and it made the question of hosting SNKs code unavoidable. I suppose it takes away the possibility of a takedown notice.

Anyway, I've run through the steps myself on Linux and Windows, it seems to work, would appreciate feedback.

SmokeMonster
04-11-2015, 02:30 AM
I played MS2 for the first time tonight on my newly built CMVS. Tons of slowdown, but so much fun. You are a god amongst us to have sped it up.

If you ever reconsider letting Raz add a patch to the Unibios, a million of us would be eternally grateful :D

Razoola
04-11-2015, 02:50 AM
I've had to update this so that it's a patcher instead of just distributing the ROM. Annoyed. Someone suggested it to be helpful elsewhere and it made the question of hosting SNKs code unavoidable. I suppose it takes away the possibility of a takedown notice.

Anyway, I've run through the steps myself on Linux and Windows, it seems to work, would appreciate feedback.

I could have tried to add it as a cheat into the unibios (if possible) I would have of course given a mention in the readme (link to your url etc) and could have added a custom cheat line message if it fits. That would have got around this situation.

That aside the IPS patcher is the way to go. Does it leave the NGH to the default?

xsq
04-11-2015, 03:58 AM
That would have got around this situation.
and spared a couple carts from modding...

not to nitpick, I'm super stoked about this fix. Been playing it on an Emu, it's so nice.

Electric Grave
04-11-2015, 08:44 AM
My cart is mint from a full kit wit matching serials, I consider this an improvement and well worth doing to the cart itself. Plus I don't have to worry about playing this on boards without the Unibios.

kuze
04-11-2015, 07:26 PM

I used the patcher today, instead of the ROM you distributed before. Worked perfectly.

I did the socket method; since my Slug 2 had a non-original label, I went ahead and moved my boards into a Chinese shell which didn't require any dremel work for the boards to fit back in.

Just played it for about an hour and am loving it! Thanks for putting this out there for us.

PunkicCyborg
04-12-2015, 09:06 PM
does JPTCH.exe work with win 7 64 bit?

*edit- never mind figured it out

gtdoering
04-12-2015, 09:46 PM
Thanks for this! so excited to try this out!

Fakk2
05-04-2015, 10:41 AM
This is really neat, I guess I need to go buy another Metal Slug 2 and find someone to send the new P1 to me. ;) Thanks OP.

mjsaville
05-04-2015, 03:27 PM
This is really neat, I guess I need to go buy another Metal Slug 2 and find someone to send the new P1 to me. ;) Thanks OP.

Plz PM me if you find someone to do a patched P1 chip. I too would love a faster MS2 but cannot justify buying a Eprom programmer just for 1 chip.

nam9
05-04-2015, 04:18 PM
Plz PM me if you find someone to do a patched P1 chip. I too would love a faster MS2 but cannot justify buying a Eprom programmer just for 1 chip.

I'm in on this bandwagon too...

aha2940
05-04-2015, 05:31 PM
I'm in on this bandwagon too...

Send Fox1 a PM. I can help too, but since I'm located in South America, shipping costs may be too much.

NeoCverA
05-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Last Resort?

Yagyu Jubei
05-04-2015, 09:40 PM

Add me to that list too. Por favor...

ShootTheCore
05-05-2015, 12:09 AM
I can also program P1 chips for folks for the price of the chip and shipping. PM me if interested.

Asure
05-05-2015, 04:00 AM
I'm in Europe and have stock of 27C4096's and an Eprom burner. Can do for the cost of chips + shipping.
You will need to clear out the solder from the two EP locations and can leave the original P1 on the board. As posted before, you can switch back & forth between the original & turbo version.

sparksterz
05-05-2015, 11:35 AM
As awesome as I think this patch is, I just can't see modifying my cart for it. I'll have to wait for a Neo Geo multi cart some day before I try it out on hardware. It's crazy that such a benefit was done with such a trivial fix.

aha2940
05-05-2015, 11:48 AM
It's crazy that such a benefit was done with such a trivial fix.

Everything's trivial once it's done, but I am sure the development of the fix was not trivial.

sparksterz
05-05-2015, 01:03 PM
Everything's trivial once it's done, but I am sure the development of the fix was not trivial.

Right, I'm not trying to belittle the work. I'm a software developer myself and I know that sometimes even the simplest things can turn out to be the hardest to implement/fix. I read through the technical rundown trap15 posted (http://daifukkat.su/blog/archives/2015/03/30/its_turbo_time/) and it seems to be an update of only 2 functions. More than likely I suspect the time to diagnose and find the problem was far longer than actually fixing it and testing the code! Pretty crazy to think that this area would've been overlooked with a game that had this much slowdown. Certainly not where I would've looked first.

mjsaville
05-05-2015, 03:12 PM
I'm in Europe and have stock of 27C4096's and an Eprom burner. Can do for the cost of chips + shipping.
You will need to clear out the solder from the two EP locations and can leave the original P1 on the board. As posted before, you can switch back & forth between the original & turbo version.

Asure - You have mail :)

Yagyu Jubei
05-10-2015, 09:06 PM
I can also program P1 chips for folks for the price of the chip and shipping. PM me if interested.

Quick shout out to ShootTheCore. Thanks for the chips. Great service!

HMG
05-13-2015, 12:11 AM
As awesome as I think this patch is, I just can't see modifying my cart for it. I'll have to wait for a Neo Geo multi cart some day before I try it out on hardware.

What's so wrong with replacing one ROM? It significantly improves the game, it's like that hitbox fix for SS3. Besides, properly done, no harm is inflicted to the original chip in the swap. Or you can do what bustedstr8 did and took advantage of the EP sockets.

nam9
05-15-2015, 03:11 PM
That was quick (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Slug-2-Turbo-MVS-Neo-Geo-/231562526040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_71&hash=item35ea33bd58).

mjsaville
05-15-2015, 03:32 PM
Major shout out to Asure....

Chips arrived today mate, Brilliant service.

I'll let you know. :glee:

Yagyu Jubei
05-15-2015, 07:50 PM
That was quick (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Slug-2-Turbo-MVS-Neo-Geo-/231562526040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_71&hash=item35ea33bd58).

It was inevitable.

werejag
05-15-2015, 08:19 PM
It was inevitable.
probably just doing it for the community.

system11
05-15-2015, 08:29 PM
Yeah I just pulled the patch down because of that person. Please all congratulate him by submitting spurious reports against his item.

werejag
05-15-2015, 08:32 PM
why would you pull down the patch? you do know the nature of the internet right? once its been uploaded its somewheres.

illl be uploading it shortly

update wont be uploading just yet

system11
05-15-2015, 08:50 PM
why would you pull down the patch? you do know the nature of the internet right? once its been uploaded its somewheres.#

To make a point. I think I found the source of this, and it wasn't neo-geo.com - no surprise really, people here seem a little more honest mostly.

I may put it back depending on the response I get from the relevant people.

werejag
05-15-2015, 08:53 PM
and im making a point and uploading it shortly after posting a modified website with the rom

trap15
05-15-2015, 08:58 PM
So you're an asshole. Great point.

o.pwuaioc
05-15-2015, 08:59 PM
#

To make a point. I think I found the source of this, and it wasn't neo-geo.com - no surprise really, people here seem a little more honest mostly.

I may put it back depending on the response I get from the relevant people.

Reported. Not sure what good it'll do, but maybe if all of us do it, eBay will take action.

werejag
05-15-2015, 09:04 PM
ill wait till you decide not to post it back up again. there was no point in taking it down. nor the bs restrictions which no one will follow. i wasn't planning on making any carts besides my own. i just find the arrogance of rom hackers appalling. its not your game. if you did not want it out in the wild don't release it. dont sell carts your self and dont whine when others pay little attention to some grand scheme or readme.txt

if you did it to share cool put it back up and let even those who dont have eprom flashers and means to also have.

i beleive patches even code should be shared i even helped many with the netboot code for naomi/triforce/chihiro its not mine to keep. i also spent much time fixing errors.

trap15
05-15-2015, 09:06 PM
It's totally cool for people to take work they didn't do and make money off of it. That's totally legit and not unethical at all, isn't it?

werejag
05-15-2015, 09:13 PM
the rom is now out there. now what recourse do you have? did you even have recourse? can you sue the guy????? not in any court system i know of

the game will be sold there is nothing that can be done. so all your hurting is others who wouldnt have sold the game anyways

what will you do for all the rest who would like this patch?

system11
05-15-2015, 09:26 PM
the rom is now out there. now what recourse do you have? did you even have recourse? can you sue the guy????? not in any court system i know of

the game will be sold there is nothing that can be done. so all your hurting is others who wouldnt have sold the game anyways

Right now, I'm just trying to get that person to apologise.

I fucking hate people who make money off freely donated fixed and code. Nothing makes me angrier in fact. I have no issue with the peeople who were making chips or fitting this at low cost, you're right not everyone has the equipment. There's a line of acceptability though, and aside from your statement above there was nothing bad going on here. I didn't even profit from it myself, I sold *one* cart, my tatty old one I'd used for testing, for the same price an unmodified cart would be, and including the original chip. That simply left me 'slightly less out of pocket'.

Can't stand the self entitled nature of some people. Selling this undermines the good faith in which it was released for free. I kind of expected to see them floating around eventually, if someone gets their cart altered and then decides to sell it later - yep, obviously going to happen. Eventually I imagine several will be changing hands floating around. 1 fucking month though? That ebay item was made to sell, it's already more expensive than a plain slug 2 and not even a Buy It Now.

Haven't been this angry for some time.

werejag
05-15-2015, 09:37 PM
nothing to apoligize for. you even sold a copy.

so those people who dont have the means to do it themselfs are fucking shit out of luck. you now have control of a game you didnt even create. either you did this to help the community or you did it for some other reason.

so many copies will be sold. no big deal. its out there. there willl be many because it was a issue that you help solve. now what will you do for those who cant do or didnt see the patch like i did and grabbed it because i knew you was going to go this route with that lame eula text file.

metal slug2 seems to be running about 75 bucks without shipping so 90 shipped.

so who are you hurting again with this move? the ones you claim to want this to be for that who.

system11
05-15-2015, 09:58 PM

so those people who dont have the means to do it themselfs are fucking shit out of luck. you now have control of a game you didnt even create. either you did this to help the community or you did it for some other reason.

so many copies will be sold. no big deal. its out there. there willl be many because it was a issue that you help solve. now what will you do for those who cant do or didnt see the patch like i did and grabbed it because i knew you was going to go this route with that lame eula text file.

so who are you hurting again with this move? the ones you claim to want this to be for that who.

I rarely respond like this.

Fuck you, you entitled piece of shit. In fact I mentioned your name in IRC and someone who wasn't even following the conversation came out with 'lol werejag, king of freeloading' so yeah, looks like you already have a poor reputation anyway.

Whole intent was to release this totally for free, EULA and switching to a patcher from the initial 'just release the image' method was to do with protecting me in case SNK ever took a look at it and decided I was trying to make money from their IP, and also to try to discourage people leeching off the community by selling modded carts while not causing trouble for people genuinely helping the community by making or fitting chips at cost. If you don't understand that you're more stupid than you sound.

werejag
05-15-2015, 10:09 PM
not uploading it will play into driving the price up for those who will make copies. i dont plan on making copies just the entitled attitude you show is a bit much. you will fuck everyone becuase you think you have control of something you dont as soon as you released the files you are not helping anyone you told the community they can only get it now at high prices.

snk was never going to care.

the eula was non binding as all eulas are. its really not up to you to decide what price something can be charged. again i also plan not to sell copies.

i dont know what your true intent was seem counter to what you claim.

Pasky
05-15-2015, 10:09 PM

What are you fucking smoking? Metal slug 2 is nowhere near 75 dollars on the market.

werejag
05-15-2015, 10:14 PM
cool

werejag
05-15-2015, 10:20 PM
trap15 and system11

im sorry for getting into this. it just makes no sense taking this down. it only ensures that the ones selling it will sell for more since so few will have access to the patch. you can not stop this you can only make sure its freely available and all over, so it keeps the selling carts prices down.

im sorry again

BeefJerky
05-15-2015, 10:21 PM
RETARD FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TonK
05-15-2015, 10:26 PM
Who's selling it? And is it for an inflated price?

werejag
05-15-2015, 10:27 PM
ive already had a few ask me for the patch i wont send it for a while while you calm down and decide you was being unlevel headed

SmokeMonster
05-15-2015, 10:31 PM
I'd like to see the hacked rom get a proper release one day. I think releasing it would actually hurt the market for people selling bootleg carts of it.

HMG
05-15-2015, 10:32 PM
Yeah I just pulled the patch down because of that person. Please all congratulate him by submitting spurious reports against his item.

Are we not allowed to sell Metal Slug 2 carts containing your speed hack? I've been planning on getting out of JAMMA hardware and staying with AES, that includes my MVS Slug 2 cart. I thought I'd do the next owner a favor by upgrading it with the speed hack. What if I were to pass on my Slug 2 Turbo cart here on neo-geo.com?

system11
05-15-2015, 10:39 PM
Are we not allowed to sell Metal Slug 2 carts containing your speed hack? I've been planning on getting out of JAMMA hardware and staying with AES, that includes my MVS Slug 2 cart. I thought I'd do the next owner a favor by upgrading it with the speed hack. What if I were to pass on my Slug 2 Turbo cart here on neo-geo.com?

Intent was just to stop people actively making a profit from it. For example (and to answer Tonks question) it's some shitbag in France selling it with a starting bid higher than a normal cart is worth, linking to my site and to the youtube video like an advert.

I'm going to switch the site around again, put it back, go for name & shame at the top instead and include something covering my opinion of people who profit on freely given work. I'm probably going to snipe that cart on ebay and then refuse to pay, and explain why to ebay if they don't pull it. My account there is in excellent standing, happy to suck up a strike in return for being able to neg him.

werejag
05-15-2015, 10:48 PM
he is ensuring that people make a profit by taking this patch down.

looks like you will be shamed and named

skate323k137
05-15-2015, 10:54 PM
Intent was just to stop people actively making a profit from it. For example (and to answer Tonks question) it's some shitbag in France selling it with a starting bid higher than a normal cart is worth, linking to my site and to the youtube video like an advert.

I'm going to switch the site around again, put it back, go for name & shame at the top instead and include something covering my opinion of people who profit on freely given work. I'm probably going to snipe that cart on ebay and then refuse to pay, and explain why to ebay if they don't pull it. My account there is in excellent standing, happy to suck up a strike in return for being able to neg him.

That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

system11
05-15-2015, 10:59 PM
It's back. And no HMG, if you're going to mod it and sell it for the cost of a normal one or a normal one and the cost of the eprom, I wouldn't care at all.

That ebay auction was way, way, way past any line of acceptable. It really burns when you try to be nice to people and they take advantage due to selfish greed. I found a forum where this hack was discussed and the 2nd or 3rd post was a 'joke' about how many some guy would sell to his customers. Later on in the thread someone comes out with 'one rule for some, one rule for others' because I sold my test cart for the price of a normal slug 2.

People are disgusting.

werejag
05-15-2015, 11:00 PM

what ever floats your boat. spining wheels in mud. etc etc

too much effort for no gain.

thanks for the chat

TonK
05-15-2015, 11:04 PM

Sounds like you did the right thing. I don't see a problem with that.

TonK
05-15-2015, 11:06 PM
what ever floats your boat. spining wheels in mud. etc etc

too much effort for no gain.

thanks for the chat

He said it would be cool to sell a MS2 fixed cart for the cost of the eprom. There should be no profit for the guy patching. It wasn't intended to be a money making patch.

werejag
05-15-2015, 11:10 PM
cool still wont beable to enforce that thou. shit if i wanted to make profits on this i wouldn't have wanted it back up. rare sells higher

TonK
05-15-2015, 11:11 PM
cool still wont beable to enforce that thou. shit if i wanted to make profits on this i wouldn't have wanted it back up. rare sells higher

Still never got my ghostlop royalty checks from you, lol.

werejag
05-15-2015, 11:15 PM
i made an offer you rejected that and it was no where near the crossword2 cost

HMG
05-15-2015, 11:16 PM
It's back. And no HMG, if you're going to mod it and sell it for the cost of a normal one or a normal one and the cost of the eprom, I wouldn't care at all.

That ebay auction was way, way, way past any line of acceptable. It really burns when you try to be nice to people and they take advantage due to selfish greed. I found a forum where this hack was discussed and the 2nd or 3rd post was a 'joke' about how many some guy would sell to his customers. Later on in the thread someone comes out with 'one rule for some, one rule for others' because I sold my test cart for the price of a normal slug 2.

People are disgusting.

Yeah I appreciate what you're saying too. If Metal Slug 2 MVS is still a $30 cart, that's what I'd pass it on as.

Unfortunately, part of the problem here is the Neo-Geo scene doesn't have that many games or options to profit and exploit. Diggerman is a perfect example of this. It's a crummy game, but it's still a game. Slug 2 Turbo will likely end up in a similar position as the SS3 hitbox patch or the Slug X P ROM decryption.

TonK
05-15-2015, 11:16 PM
i made an offer you rejected that

What offer?

werejag
05-15-2015, 11:21 PM
we had a long convo about 5-7 years ago via pm. i made a offer back when i was making gl carts becuase you was angry at me. you rejected the offer i made

TonK
05-15-2015, 11:25 PM
we had a long convo about 5-7 years ago via pm. i made a offer back when i was making gl carts becuase you was angry at me. you rejected the offer i made

I don't remember it. But you're good.

madman
05-15-2015, 11:47 PM
I'd like to see the hacked rom get a proper release one day. I think releasing it would actually hurt the market for people selling bootleg carts of it.

What planet are you on? Do you really think there will be an official release of an MVS game over a decade after the system has died?

There's a patch, let's all be grateful for that.

Razoola
05-16-2015, 01:50 AM
@System11, some people just don't get it but at the same time I can't say its not unexpected to see it happening, not unexpected at all. You are going to have to accept that its going to show up in a new multicart if more types are make in the future.

Its a reason I asked you if I could try and add the patch to the unibios (I would have given you full credit, link to webpage etc, could mention something on the cheat line if it fits). I then accepted your decision when the answer was no.

The offer still stands if you change your mind and it could be done. This would also be a rare occasion where I could add the patch into the released and free version at the same time so there could be no claim I was trying to make money from it. It would also save the modding of good MS2 or the conversion of other games and people trying to make money from it. If this could be done it would simply mean people buying these carts are wasting money if they can use a free unibios to do the same thing. Your credit for it would also not be lost.

Raz

SmokeMonster
05-16-2015, 01:58 AM
What planet are you on? Do you really think there will be an official release of an MVS game over a decade after the system has died?

There's a patch, let's all be grateful for that.
I was talking about the rom, not an official release of an MVS game-hack on an actual cart in 2015 by the company that made the game originally. I can see how you extrapolated that from my post though...

mjsaville
05-16-2015, 03:06 AM
@System11, some people just don't get it but at the same time I can't say its not unexpected to see it happening, not unexpected at all. You are going to have to accept that its going to show up in a new multicart if more types are make in the future.

Its a reason I asked you if I could try and add the patch to the unibios (I would have given you full credit, link to webpage etc, could mention something on the cheat line if it fits). I then accepted your decision when the answer was no.

The offer still stands if you change your mind and it could be done. This would also be a rare occasion where I could add the patch into the released and free version at the same time so there could be no claim I was trying to make money from it. It would also save the modding of good MS2 or the conversion of other games and people trying to make money from it. If this could be done it would simply mean people buying these carts are wasting money if they can use a free unibios to do the same thing. Your credit for it would also not be lost.

Raz

Well said.........

MarcoZ
05-16-2015, 07:27 AM

Raz

Yeah, i'm breaking my lurking streak here and i absolutely agree. You don't want people profiting off your work you gave away? Then you should maximize the supply, exactly the opposite of what you were doing. Make it available for UniBIOS, advertise and distribute it properly. It only helps you in the end: If i didn't know neo-geo.com and its community, i'd be really tempted to buy that cart off eBay right this moment, but if i knew i could use it via UniBIOS then i would just spend the 30 euros for an EPROM instead of feeding the scummy resellers.

werejag
05-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Yeah, i'm breaking my lurking streak here and i absolutely agree. You don't want people profiting off your work you gave away? Then you should maximize the supply, exactly the opposite of what you were doing. Make it available for UniBIOS, advertise and distribute it properly. It only helps you in the end: If i didn't know neo-geo.com and its community, i'd be really tempted to buy that cart off eBay right this moment, but if i knew i could use it via UniBIOS then i would just spend the 30 euros for an EPROM instead of feeding the scummy resellers.

yes better said than all the text i posted saying the same thing

Yagyu Jubei
05-16-2015, 12:27 PM

Raz

This ^

SmokeMonster
05-16-2015, 08:00 PM
I guess we can get back on topic of how fucking incredible this patch is, and how great of a job system11 did pulling it off. This is a huge improvement to one of the best games of all time, and we can play it on real hardware. Fucking brilliant programming system11 :D

werejag
05-16-2015, 08:23 PM
yes its awesome. great job guys

aha2940
05-16-2015, 10:57 PM
yes its awesome. great job guys

Indeed, I just modified a spare MS2 cart I had and tried it. Huge improvement, the game has almost no slowdown, feels very nice. Also, in case anybody is asking, it does work with MVS converters, I tried it on an AES with Magic key converter. Played perfectly, however the UniBIOS won't save to memory card the high scores you make with this cart. I guess it's because it identifies itself with a different code (941 vs 241 on original MS2, hopefully Raz can add this variant of the game to next UniBIOS version so it will save the high scores).

Regards.

HMG
05-16-2015, 11:08 PM
I followed his NGH adjustment instructions, so the MS2 carts I modified are NGH-241 instead of 941.

aha2940
05-16-2015, 11:33 PM
I followed his NGH adjustment instructions, so the MS2 carts I modified are NGH-241 instead of 941.

Yep, I thought of doing it, but didn't. After playing the game, I found out I am not that good at MS2 when played faster, so I think it's fair having separated scores for both variants of the game.

Regards.

FinalbossNYC
05-17-2015, 02:26 PM
Im okay at soldering but don't have the means to burn a Rom myself, whats the best appropriate course of action for me to play this on my MVS cab ? Also I'm not sure yet how I feel doing this to a legit MS2 are bootlegs of the "Original" MS2 common and if so could I do this to a Boot to spare an OG cart?

Yagyu Jubei
05-17-2015, 04:04 PM
Anyone patch an AES cart yet?

aha2940
05-17-2015, 05:40 PM
Anyone patch an AES cart yet?

I dont think so, because of the high price of the game, but it should work exactly the same as in MVS.

HMG
05-17-2015, 06:54 PM
I can't imagine anyone seriously upgrading their real Slug 2 AES with this patch. Nobody ever plays real quadruple digit AES games anyway.

Now a (pre-existing) conversion, that would be a lot more appropriate.

Yagyu Jubei
05-17-2015, 07:55 PM
I can't imagine anyone seriously upgrading their real Slug 2 AES with this patch. Nobody ever plays real quadruple digit AES games anyway.

Now a (pre-existing) conversion, that would be a lot more appropriate.

I can see that. I still play my high ticket games. Prolly also makes sense to have your original AES as your collector copy and a patched MVS as your gamer copy.

ShootTheCore
05-17-2015, 09:50 PM
Im okay at soldering but don't have the means to burn a Rom myself, whats the best appropriate course of action for me to play this on my MVS cab ? Also I'm not sure yet how I feel doing this to a legit MS2 are bootlegs of the "Original" MS2 common and if so could I do this to a Boot to spare an OG cart?

I can program a ROM chip for you for the cost of the chip plus shipping - $7 for Continental U.S.

Same goes for anyone else that's interested.

FinalbossNYC
05-18-2015, 12:25 AM
I can program a ROM chip for you for the cost of the chip plus shipping - $7 for Continental U.S.

Same goes for anyone else that's interested.

Thanks ! Ill shoot a PM

Razoola
05-25-2015, 02:46 AM
Can anyone please tell me if when running the turbo patch on real hardware you see a sprite glitch during the title page drawing in attract mode. What you are looking for is the words 'Metal Slug' flashing once quickly as the large '2' falls into the screen.

This is something I am seeing in emulation when I try the patch and I wondered if that's an emulation related thing only or happened on real hardware also.

aha2940
05-25-2015, 06:33 AM
Can anyone please tell me if when running the turbo patch on real hardware you see a sprite glitch during the title page drawing in attract mode. What you are looking for is the words 'Metal Slug' flashing once quickly as the large '2' falls into the screen.

This is something I am seeing in emulation when I try the patch and I wondered if that's an emulation related thing only or happened on real hardware also.

I just tried a cart with the turbo patch on an Omega and I did not notice anything.

Regards.

Razoola
05-25-2015, 06:39 AM
I just tried a cart with the turbo patch on an Omega and I did not notice anything.

Regards.

Ok that's good, it must be an emulation related issue I'm seeing.

Raz

aha2940
05-25-2015, 09:15 AM
Ok that's good, it must be an emulation related issue I'm seeing.

Raz

Maybe not, Raz. I kept watching the attract mode, and it seems some times there is a glitch like what you describe. It does not happen always, and I could not find a pattern quickly, but it did happen after I posted before. If you need more details or tests, I'll help you.

Regards.

Razoola
05-25-2015, 09:39 AM
Maybe not, Raz. I kept watching the attract mode, and it seems some times there is a glitch like what you describe. It does not happen always, and I could not find a pattern quickly, but it did happen after I posted before. If you need more details or tests, I'll help you.

Regards.

Ohh that's a real shame, I was hoping I was wrong even though its a really minor issue. The fact no one has brought it up kind of shows how minor a problem it is, given it can happen during gameplay also. Are you able to confirm for me that it never happens in the normal version of the game?

aha2940
05-25-2015, 11:54 AM
Ohh that's a real shame, I was hoping I was wrong even though its a really minor issue. The fact no one has brought it up kind of shows how minor a problem it is, given it can happen during gameplay also. Are you able to confirm for me that it never happens in the normal version of the game?

Sure, will post results tomorrow, I'll test tonight.

Yagyu Jubei
05-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Replaced a P1 this weekend. The patch is awesome! Some slowdown in certain hectic stages but a solid 80% improvement overall. It's like a new game. Works on both my CMVS and AES w/blue MVS converter.

2T > X

aha2940
05-25-2015, 10:45 PM
I just checked. The flickering in the letters does not seem to happen on an original MS2 (I have not seen it there), but it does happen some times in the MS2 Turbo. Can anybody confirm this please?

Regards.

system11
05-29-2015, 06:26 PM
I just checked. The flickering in the letters does not seem to happen on an original MS2 (I have not seen it there), but it does happen some times in the MS2 Turbo. Can anybody confirm this please?

Regards.

Yes it happens occasionally, strangely it happens much more often in emulation than hardware. I've only ever seen it happen on the title screen and once in the character select with the shutters, never seen it happening in-game.

There is also another glitch - you can see it most obviously in stage 1 with the 3 towers - look above the score line and you'll see some lines flashing near the tops of the towers. Interestingly this even happens on the normal game in emulation or hardware, but it's more frequent in turbo.

Also in response of one of the posts somewhere up the page, the programming was actually done by trap15, I hired him :) My programming skills stop at C.

Electric Grave
05-29-2015, 07:53 PM
Replaced a P1 this weekend. The patch is awesome! Some slowdown in certain hectic stages but a solid 80% improvement overall. It's like a new game. Works on both my CMVS and AES w/blue MVS converter.

2T > X

Not even then, not even close. X is the better game, people that prefer 2 over X simply prefer it 'cause it's more doable for them. Oh it's ok, I understand you're lured by the friendly slowdown, it's ok, one day you'll come to terms with being a slow poke.

2D_Master
05-29-2015, 09:33 PM
...mummy dogs...

HMG
05-30-2015, 12:51 AM
And they recycled a Metal Slug 1 boss for Mission 1...

SmokeMonster
06-01-2015, 12:29 PM
HeavyMachineGun hooked me up with a copy of the patched MS2 for an extremely generous $30. I played it all the way through in 2-player mode and actually enjoyed it for the first time. It was pretty much broken before and was embarrassing to the MVS as a system. With the slowdown reduction patch it feels like a real game now, and not like some kind of bad port from another system. The videos can't do justice to how big the improvement makes to the actual feel of the game.

MidnightMonkey
06-23-2015, 01:04 PM
Can anyone hook me up with patching services for this? I got the cart but not the means...

aha2940
06-23-2015, 01:06 PM
Can anyone hook me up with patching services for this? I got the cart but not the means...

Do you need only the programming services? or also the desolder/solder of the chips?

MidnightMonkey
06-24-2015, 04:19 AM
Do you need only the programming services? or also the desolder/solder of the chips?

De soldering shouldn't be an issue. Soldering, on the other hand, that might be tricky.

Electric Grave
06-24-2015, 09:54 AM

bust3dstr8.

Look him up, he'll hook you up for the right price.

BladeDancer314
06-24-2015, 10:52 AM
De soldering shouldn't be an issue. Soldering, on the other hand, that might be tricky.

Usually, it's the other way around.

Desoldering the Rom is more time consuming than soldering in the new one.

aha2940
06-24-2015, 11:36 AM
Usually, it's the other way around.

Desoldering the Rom is more time consuming than soldering in the new one.

I was thinking exactly the same, desoldering the chip takes more time because it should be done very carefully to not damage the traces or vias, the soldering is way easier and is done way faster IMO. Also, if OP only needs the programming of the chip, Fox1 has the required service.

Regards.

skate323k137
06-24-2015, 11:59 AM
This patch belongs in the unibios if at all possible.

Razoola
06-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Because of how the patch works that is not really possible. I have looked at it (with permission from system11) but the cause of the slowdown and the patch are not as explained in either of the write ups out there from my short time looking at it. This is why there are minor problems with it in some areas of the game, that said it still makes the game more playable than the original version.

skate323k137
06-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Because of how the patch works that is not really possible. I have looked at it (with permission from system11) but the cause of the slowdown and the patch are not as explained in either of the write ups out there from my short time looking at it. This is why there are minor problems with it in some areas of the game, that said it still makes the game more playable than the original version.

Ah, that's a shame. Glad you at least looked into it.

Vernon
07-27-2015, 05:13 AM
This is amazing!

dragonpt
08-03-2015, 10:01 AM
System11

Thanks for patch, your awesome.
I don't have the equipment to do it, but the community thanks you.

well done

cheers

Xian Xi
11-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Anyone got the rom image that keeps the game number original?

shadowkn55
11-15-2015, 01:32 PM
I think you can just change some of the header information in the rom.

edit: try changing the value at address x109 from "09" to "02"

Razoola
11-15-2015, 01:46 PM
yes you can do that. The next unibios will support the 0x0941 header though.

Raz

Fakk2
11-15-2015, 04:04 PM
yes you can do that. The next unibios will support the 0x0941 header though.

Raz

You mean there is going to be a new unibios soon? :D Looks like I might want to buy that one! Can you try to get some nice codes for the NGDevTeam games, like perhaps speedups, power ups, extra lives, extra continues for the Last Hope and Fast Striker carts that do not have credit feed options, (the 1.0 big boards)? stuff like that?

I am also hoping that one day you can find a way that will make the Jukebox work with the NGDevTeam games so I can just sit back and listen to the music in those games, since they are by far some of the best sounding game music on the Neo-Geo, and since NGDevTeam refuses to add option menus to their games, and refuse to add in sound test menus, and general stuff that made the AES games AES games, perhaps you can find a way to add these features using the unibios on them? :) I mean, if we can just start to get some support for the NGDevTeam games on the UniBios I would happily buy myself one, as I have been wanting to support the UniBios for a long time now. I really do!

BTW, what new stuff will be included in this new 3.3 UniBios? I am getting excited! :)

Liquid Snake
11-15-2015, 04:20 PM
I am also hoping that one day you can find a way that will make the Jukebox work with the NGDevTeam games so I can just sit back and listen to the music in those games, since they are by far some of the best sounding game music on the Neo-Geo, and since NGDevTeam refuses to add option menus to their games, and refuse to add in sound test menus, and general stuff that made the AES games AES games, perhaps you can find a way to add these features using the unibios on them? :) I mean, if we can just start to get some support for the NGDevTeam games on the UniBios I would happily buy myself one, as I have been wanting to support the UniBios for a long time now. I really do!

BTW, what new stuff will be included in this new 3.3 UniBios? I am getting excited! :)

You can always go to youtube and listen to those ost :D

Fakk2
11-15-2015, 05:14 PM
You can always go to youtube and listen to those ost :D

I could just listen to the OST on CD since I own all the CD's of the games, but, that is not the point. I want to actually listen to the Cart music like I do with all my AES games. Somehow it is just more fun to do it that way, and listen to the tunes directly from the chips. I am old fashioned, and I love sound test menus on games, and music test menus.

GadgetUK
11-15-2015, 06:45 PM
I agree - Love the Jukebox in the Unibios =)

Razoola
11-16-2015, 02:38 AM
The unibios cannot fully support the NGDEV games because they are written in a way that does not allow the ingame menu to be brought up. I think you can get access to the jukebox though on the MVS at least. Probably can on the AES also but your blind because there will be no font.

Fakk2
11-16-2015, 04:55 AM
The unibios cannot fully support the NGDEV games because they are written in a way that does not allow the ingame menu to be brought up. I think you can get access to the jukebox though on the MVS at least. Probably can on the AES also but your blind because there will be no font.

Yes, the screen is garbled on the AES, but, the problem is not really that, the problem is that they stream the music in a way that the Jukebox only can see and play around 4 songs, and then after that, the unibios repeats those same 4 songs as you go up higher in numbers. The NGDevTeam told me that in order for the UniBios to play the music back properly, that you would need to write the code for that player to read "higher banks" that the other songs are located at. So, I figured if you knew this info, you could find a way to access the other songs as well. I mean if anyone can do it, it would be you since your the master of the Neo-Geo when it comes to coming the UniBios, and you made the NeoJukebox as well, so if the NeoJukebox can play some of the songs just fine on NGDevTeam game carts on the AES, then you should be able to find a way to access the higher banks that stream those songs. Perhaps create a special player that can access ALL the NeoGeo music from any game, no matter what it is. That would really be amazing!

Also, I would LOVE it if you could ever be able to write the NeoJukebox to do what the NeoGeoStation does for it's Jukebox player? I REALLY love using that on the PS3, because it is VERY much like the one on Ninja Spirit on the TurboGrafx 16, where you can literally see every single track that the console has to offer, and when the musical instruments are played on each of those tracks, you can see the little colored bars bouncing up and down, or back and forth, to indicate which channels are being used, and how high the sound is getting for each channel. This is something I have been dying to see on the Neo-Geo for ages, and I would be willing to pay some good money JUST to see that get added to the UniBios!

So, can you please look into these things on the UniBios and see if these can be added to future versions of the Uni? That would be SO COOL, Raz!

Razoola
11-16-2015, 06:04 AM
The unibios can already play banks... the 0x07 is the bank number. Just scroll through until its 0x08 for example and that would send the code for the next bank. The other suggestion is not possible on the NeoGeo. you know the sound is controlled by a totally separate cpu and there is no access to it directly to get that kind of information

Xian Xi
11-16-2015, 02:23 PM
Can you guys move this convo into the Unibios thread? This has nothing to do with this topic.

Fakk2
11-16-2015, 08:42 PM
Can you guys move this convo into the Unibios thread? This has nothing to do with this topic.
Yup got off topic, my bad. :D

RabbitTroop
11-16-2015, 09:30 PM
I completely missed the updates in this thread. This is fantastic. I just downloaded the patch and I need, need, to do this. Fantastic work. Just watched the side by side comparison video, and it looks so much better. Still slows down, but probably about as much as X now. This makes 2 a completely different game. I'm excited to try this on the cab.

Phexe
12-03-2015, 05:21 AM
Awesome work!

As a CD Owner, could you look at the Metal Slug 2 CD version and make a Metal Slug 2 CD Turbo version? Please? :D

kyosuke75
12-07-2015, 12:59 AM
awesome work and awesome video. I just recently got MS2 mvs and might have to ask someone to patch it for me.

Razoola
12-10-2015, 08:05 AM
Awesome work!

As a CD Owner, could you look at the Metal Slug 2 CD version and make a Metal Slug 2 CD Turbo version? Please? :D

I have adjusted this patch for the CD version of the game to do just that. Full credit still belongs to system11 & Co. I have passed it onto kuk so I guess if you keep an eye on his site a URL might appear soon. Or you can drop me a PM with your email address.

Raz

xsq
12-10-2015, 08:23 AM
Nice Raz!

Fakk2
12-10-2015, 08:49 PM
I have adjusted this patch for the CD version of the game to do just that. Full credit still belongs to system11 & Co. I have passed it onto kuk so I guess if you keep an eye on his site a URL might appear soon. Or you can drop me a PM with your email address.

Raz

Very nice! I admit, I am very impressed with this patch for the game. It's a shame that SNK themselves did not notice this slowdown and fix this before release. Good job guys!

cdamm
12-10-2015, 08:55 PM

this whole topic could have been avoided if everyone would just get ms x.

msx > 2.

SmokeMonster
12-10-2015, 09:31 PM

Raz
Wow, incredible work Raz! Thanks for releasing it to the world too :D

Fakk2
12-11-2015, 12:55 AM
this whole topic could have been avoided if everyone would just get ms x.

msx > 2.

Well, to be honest, most people prefer MS2 over MSX for many reasons. The Background colors in MSX were horrible compared to MS2. Little things were taken out of MS2 to make X run a bit faster, like the little dust that your feet make in the first stage when running across the sand, (or were just overlooked). Also, many people don't like the reorganization of the bosses, things like that. I personally thought MSX was nice just for the speed up difference, but, other than the game running faster it was not as beautiful as MS2 was. It certainly was not worth them making it an all new game to buy for $299.99 only one year later, and it basically being nearly the same exact game. It was almost as blatant a rip off as Neo-Geo Cup 98.

I do believe that the general consensus is MS2>MSX. That, and MSX is not on the Neo CD either. :P

cdamm
12-11-2015, 01:05 AM
x >2

ftfy. :p

Fakk2
12-11-2015, 03:20 AM
ftfy. :p

Gee thanks for that. :D

Razoola
12-11-2015, 03:28 AM
One just has to remember this patch is not without some slight side effects which I mentioned in a previous post somewhere a few months back. The benefits are greater though.

Liquid Snake
12-11-2015, 10:49 AM
It's impossible to find MS2 mvs cart at $30.........

SmokeMonster
12-12-2015, 01:29 AM
I applied Raz's patch to MS2 CD and it runs perfectly in emulation, but on both of my CD-Zs it crashes after selecting a character with the error:
"Device I/O Error
Code 000
Please power off"

I applied the patch using two different programs and burned two CD-Rs at 2x on Taiyo Yudens like I always do, so I wonder if the patch needs a tweak for CDZs? I did apply the copy protection patch, so that's not the issue. Could someone burn the ISO that I made and test it on a regular NG CD? I can share a mega link to it as long as you own the original game (PM me).

Razoola
12-12-2015, 03:02 AM
I'm not sure what's going wrong there, I'll send you an email shortly.

gamerwhat
12-13-2015, 02:55 PM
I thought Neocd version was already optimised compared to MVS/AES?

SmokeMonster
12-13-2015, 03:40 PM
Raz worked his magic and got the patch working on real CD hardware.

I posted a pre-patched ISO (http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?102483-Neo-Geo-CD-Mod-Metal-Slug-2-CD-Turbo-Slowdown-Reduction-Patched) at EPforums.

Or here (https://mega.nz/#!4B0GnD7Q!omelIhAl7NDTxObOcGUbMW5nhfm8c2pAClVXMov 5bvM) is a direct link.

xsq
12-14-2015, 09:24 AM
I thought Neocd version was already optimised compared to MVS/AES?
you thought wrong.

fairwitness
12-23-2015, 04:50 PM
Today I decided to patch my Metal Slug 2 mvs cart with the "turbo" fix. Since my cart shell is translucent I figured it would be helpful to have a nice label on the P1 rom so that it's obvious the cart has been patched. :)

https://d1f586jl62ve1j.cloudfront.net/metalslug2turbo.jpg

madman
12-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Looks good!

GadgetUK
12-24-2015, 10:29 AM
Today I decided to patch my Metal Slug 2 mvs cart with the "turbo" fix. Since my cart shell is translucent I figured it would be helpful to have a nice label on the P1 rom so that it's obvious the cart has been patched. :)

https://d1f586jl62ve1j.cloudfront.net/metalslug2turbo.jpg Nice job there - that EPROM label is a nice touch =D

RabbitTroop
12-27-2015, 07:05 PM
Nice job there - that EPROM label is a nice touch =D

Yep. Very cool. My copy hasn't left my cab since I got it. It's not perfect. There are a few areas where things glitch visually or audibly, but it's so much better than the original 2. It's somewhere in between 2 and X's speed, and in some section I actually think it's faster than the equivalent area in X.

Just an essential fix. So happy it finally saw the light of day, and every little hiccup it makes, and they are minor, is nothing compared to how awesome it is to play. Can't believe it took the community to fix this, but, how awesome is our community? Pretty freaking awesome.

ChrisB
12-27-2015, 11:48 PM
This is awesome, cant wait to try this mod

FinalbossNYC
12-28-2015, 05:42 PM
Been playing my patched cart in the cab for a while now and I like the new difficulty from the timing being just ever so different that it isn't as easy as the last 20 years, but has anyone notice any issues like on mine it has strange default settings (coin, level,etc) and the Highscore being incredibly high and lastly that will on occasion cause my cab to glitch on the attract screens and show white horizontal bars That last issue I'm assuming is what i call "6slot syndrome " and iscaused by certain title being in the cab at same time.

Otherwise love the new challenge. Thanks for the patch

zouzzz
12-30-2015, 01:46 AM

https://d1f586jl62ve1j.cloudfront.net/metalslug2turbo.jpgBeautiful !

ChrisB
12-30-2015, 04:46 AM

hello mate, im in the uk, I have a eeprom burner to do this and would be happy to help.

BladeDancer314
01-27-2016, 05:50 PM
Has anyone tried to run MS2 Turbo on an overclocked system?

I tried it and it keeps randomly restarting, my system has a 16 MHz crystal

darknezz19
02-02-2016, 05:26 PM
Was thinking, 'man wish there was a patch that fixed mslug2's slowdown' and wondered back here.

BAM!

This feels like being in the Opera Show audience or something.

Fakk2
02-16-2016, 05:15 AM
Raz worked his magic and got the patch working on real CD hardware.

I posted a pre-patched ISO (http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?102483-Neo-Geo-CD-Mod-Metal-Slug-2-CD-Turbo-Slowdown-Reduction-Patched) at EPforums.

Or here (https://mega.nz/#!4B0GnD7Q!omelIhAl7NDTxObOcGUbMW5nhfm8c2pAClVXMov 5bvM) is a direct link.

Please fix direct link so I can download the ISO and try it on the CDZ. I don't feel like signing up to yet another forum for the links. Thanks!

Electric Grave
02-16-2016, 09:45 AM
My main problem lies on the game not getting along with memory cards, once the countdown starts and you let it go it doesn't follow to the gameover screen, it just stays there at the end of the countdown...take the MC out and you're all set, kinda of a bummer...

Other problems like glitching and whatever hasn't happened to me, beat it with BustedStr8 credit feeding co-op just to see it in action, no issues, everyone else having issues should check their PSUs, any voltage problems on multislots is always going to get you no matter the game specially on boots or homebrew stuff...

mastamuzz
03-31-2016, 11:11 PM
I just got the chips today thanks to Xian Xi!it feels great like a different game, it Feels better, the most noticeable level for me was the train section.
Fluid and responsive.

I wonder if the cd features can be somehow ported from the roms on the cd to cartridge and get combat school on the cartridge?

mikejmoffitt
04-01-2016, 10:44 AM
I'd really like to see other slowdown sources fixed as well. It seems like a lot of the slowdown comes from the game's routines responsible for plotting objects on screen for drawing. Maybe there is some display list inefficiency that can be identified?

kuze
04-01-2016, 10:49 AM
I'd really like to see other slowdown sources fixed as well. It seems like a lot of the slowdown comes from the game's routines responsible for plotting objects on screen for drawing. Maybe there is some display list inefficiency that can be identified?

If you want to improve it further, you'd basically need to port Slug 2 over to the Slug X engine.

Razoola
04-01-2016, 12:02 PM
Yes, there is defo an area where the engine can be sped up. If fact I would say if one patched the engine correctly then the way this turbo version gains speed can be removed. It causes unwanted glitches because its not actually doing what the guy who did the fix says its doing (not system11). Not to take away from it though because those glitches are quite minor compared to the playability added.

BladeDancer314
04-01-2016, 12:25 PM
Hey Razoola, would a unibios crash report be of any help in determining why MS2 Turbo crashes on an overclocked system?

Razoola
04-01-2016, 01:32 PM
Sure, it would report why the system is crashing. The turbo speedup does not work like the creator stated although I can see why they assumed it does. It does not surprise me at all that it would cause instability due to that's its actually doing (breaking required sync between the game play routines and the graphic drawing routines).

Liquid Snake
04-01-2016, 01:33 PM
After playing MS2 with turbo mod, I kinda miss those slowdowns................love a lot of stuff on the screen in a slow-mo, like hollywood special effect :)

erock
04-02-2016, 09:30 PM
After playing MS2 with turbo mod, I kinda miss those slowdowns................love a lot of stuff on the screen in a slow-mo, like hollywood special effect :)

I was actually thinking that as well... It creates some drama & adds to the tension IMO.

mikejmoffitt
04-03-2016, 08:07 PM
I think a more extensive but productive mod would be to restore Metal Slug 2's palettes in Metal Slug X, and remove some of the pointless extra mummies added to make Mission 2 tedious.

madman
04-03-2016, 08:08 PM
I think a more extensive but productive mod would be to restore Metal Slug 2's palettes in Metal Slug X, and remove some of the pointless extra mummies added to make Mission 2 tedious.

The theme of people who prefer 2 over X seems to be "X is too hard for me."

mikejmoffitt
04-03-2016, 08:14 PM

I don't know if I think X is harder, just more tedious in some spots through pointless extensions. "Why have four grunts when we can place nine? Why have two gunboats when we can do three waves of them? What if we had mummy dogs too, and scroll-locked the screen?"

madman
04-03-2016, 08:22 PM
I don't know if I think X is harder, just more tedious in some spots through pointless extensions. "Why have four grunts when we can place nine? Why have two gunboats when we can do three waves of them? What if we had mummy dogs too, and scroll-locked the screen?"

I think Mission 2 is one of the stages where X really stands out above 2. Mummy dogs are great and the descending mummies. Not to mention the slowdown on the boss really kills it, it got really frustrating. I played 2 this weekend just because I happened to grab it to test my new Unibios install and just felt like Mission 2 was missing a lot, including some hidden items. I know this is an endless debate around here, and I know you didn't do this, but I really don't get how people can defend the slowdown as a positive thing.

kuze
04-03-2016, 08:31 PM
I think a more extensive but productive mod would be to restore Metal Slug 2's palettes in Metal Slug X

This would be so awesome.

Scott
04-03-2016, 09:07 PM
How does an overclock compare to this patch? I know OC'ing an MVS cause glitches in some games, but iirc not Metal Slug 2, which is really the only game where it's really worthwhile.

Xian Xi
04-03-2016, 10:02 PM

Exactly this. If you could swap the color pallete then I'd give more gameplay to X. But yes, the pacing in spots is horrid.

Liquid Snake
04-03-2016, 10:10 PM
I was actually thinking that as well... It creates some drama & adds to the tension IMO.

That's how i feel. I know people hates slowdown in MS2 but i feel it's quite fun: watching character moving slowly & jumping between stairs and boss machine in a slow-mo :)

I like MSX but for odd reason MS2 & MS4 are the two i play the most..........

Atro
04-04-2016, 08:20 AM

Absolutely.

And more mummies = more points to milk. :buttrock:

Electric Grave
04-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Removing mummies from MSX?! Really?! Pallete? OK fine swap your pallete but gee mission 2 in MSX is pretty easy as it is, WTF is the problem there, you people are weird. Keep your slo-mo...

mikejmoffitt
04-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Removing mummies from MSX?! Really?! Pallete? OK fine swap your pallete but gee mission 2 in MSX is pretty easy as it is, WTF is the problem there, you people are weird. Keep your slo-mo...

It's easy, just tedious and boring.

Electric Grave
04-05-2016, 01:47 PM
WTF?

Xian Xi
04-05-2016, 02:15 PM
The pacing is bad but not as bad as Sengoku 3.

mikejmoffitt
04-05-2016, 02:18 PM
WTF?

I don't understand the confusion. I'm arguing that Metal Slug X's second mission has extra mummies littered in it to give it fake extra depth. It isn't making it any harder, it's just wasting more of your time by throwing more in your face. In the same way, TMNT: Hyperstone Heist for Genesis isn't harder than the other games in the series because it has more enemies, it's just more work.

There are other changes in MSX that are fine or even good, but I won't agree that adding spam to mission two is one of them.

Electric Grave
04-05-2016, 02:26 PM
Really? They add some but take away others, so I don't think it should take you much longer. Mission 2 is fine the way it is in MSX, to me it just comes across as nitpicking, not enough to worry about.

donluca
04-05-2016, 05:22 PM

Never heard that honestly.

I'm one of those 2 > X guys and I say so because I prefer the original design over the new weapons, enemies and swapped bosses.

MS2 is perfect as it is, but sometime the slowdown is a bit too much.

Using the MSX engine to reproduce MS2 would be a nice experiment.

Fakk2
04-05-2016, 06:14 PM
Never heard that honestly.

I'm one of those 2 > X guys and I say so because I prefer the original design over the new weapons, enemies and swapped bosses.

MS2 is perfect as it is, but sometime the slowdown is a bit too much.

Using the MSX engine to reproduce MS2 would be a nice experiment.

I actually agree with that. The things that bother me the most with Slug X is the strange new colors that they used for the backgrounds, (the purple sky on the train stage is most strange of all). The bosses being swapped around was really unwanted, and the added guns were okay, but only about 1 of them was really amazing to me.

As far as Slug 2 over Slug X is concerned, I think that if Slug X had the same amount of slowdown that Slug 2 had, more people would easily prefer Slug 2 over Slug X. The only thing I really liked about Slug X at all, were the dog mummies. It's a shame that SNK did not just use all that extra data in the ROMs that they worked on, and at least made one new final mission for Slug X with all new enemies, and bosses, similar to Slug 3's end stage that takes 30 minutes to beat. That would have made me like Slug X much more, but as the game is, Slug 2 was just better and felt more natural, although the slowness of it has annoyed me since the day it came out. ugh..

Xian Xi
04-06-2016, 12:44 AM
I always wondered if MSX was a replacement for MS2. By that I mean did SNK send them out to Arcade ops pissed at the performance of Slug 2?

mikejmoffitt
04-06-2016, 01:40 AM
Before I head to bed I decided to take a quickie look at metal slug 2 in the debugger:

http://i.imgur.com/JWQbAl0.png

Not sure why it's doing this. It's writing an incrementing value to the VRAM Read register ($3C0000) repeatedly. Many similar routines are called in a row. Anyone know what's going on here?

Razoola
04-06-2016, 02:02 AM
It is updating VRAM to display graphics.

FinalbossNYC
04-06-2016, 02:04 AM
I actually agree with that. The things that bother me the most with Slug X is the strange new colors that they used for the backgrounds, (the purple sky on the train stage is most strange of all). It's a shame that SNK did not just use all that extra data in the ROMs that they worked on, and at least made one new final mission for Slug X with all new enemies, and bosses, similar to Slug 3's end stage that takes 30 minutes to beat. That would have made me like Slug X much more, but as the game is, Slug 2 was just better and felt more natural, although the slowness of it has annoyed me since the day it came out. ugh..

Very Kool idea an extra stage that was built from the ground up for X would have defiantly made it stand further on its on ground and been a nice lil bonus, it could be a normal length level as far as I'm concerned

I always wondered if MSX was a replacement for MS2. By that I mean did SNK send them out to Arcade ops pissed at the performance of Slug 2?

I did know one Operator in NYC back in the day that told us he got X sent to him when he actually called SNK to complain (was notorious for complaining)

Razoola
04-06-2016, 05:17 AM
I just had a quick look at the code you pasted. It can defo be done quicker, in fact that code can be removed with minimal damage given all its doing is clearing the unused sprite tile information (which may already be clear).

I gave it a quick try. Patch P1 ROM from address 0x7F53C to 0x0060 0xFA00 (a branch to end of the table, byteflip the patch values if you do it in the MAME debugger). It causes some issues when sprite shrinking on the title page (metal slug 2 text) but apart from that game play looks unaffected. Not sure how much speed is gained however but it may be noticeable given this routine is called during gameplay.

Fakk2
04-06-2016, 05:17 AM

It certainly was not for free for AES users as I remember when SNK called me to tell me their "NEW Metal Slug that was available to order" when it came out, and I don't recall any of the arcade's around my area getting Slug X after having Slug 2, so I doubt it.

FilthyRear
04-06-2016, 05:58 AM
It certainly was not for free for AES users as I remember when SNK called me to tell me their "NEW Metal Slug that was available to order" when it came out, and I don't recall any of the arcade's around my area getting Slug X after having Slug 2, so I doubt it.

:spock:

They just happened to have you on speed-dial?

Liquid Snake
04-06-2016, 09:13 AM
:spock:

They just happened to have you on speed-dial?

Fakk2 owns some SNK stock shares at that time, just FYI......

mikejmoffitt
04-06-2016, 02:02 PM
I just had a quick look at the code you pasted. It can defo be done quicker, in fact that code can be removed with minimal damage given all its doing is clearing the unused sprite tile information (which may already be clear).

I gave it a quick try. Patch P1 ROM from address 0x7F53C to 0x0060 0xFA00 (a branch to end of the table, byteflip the patch values if you do it in the MAME debugger). It causes some issues when sprite shrinking on the title page (metal slug 2 text) but apart from that game play looks unaffected. Not sure how much speed is gained however but it may be noticeable given this routine is called during gameplay.

I guess I'm not familiar enough with the Neo-Geo system architecture to know why that code works. Does writing to the address register implicitly write to VRAM as well? Is there no DMA unit to copy a sprite table into VRAM?

Razoola
04-06-2016, 02:53 PM
Nope, there is just a few ports from 0x3C0000

mikejmoffitt
04-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Interesting. How does writing to the address register copy data, though? I would expect you would write to the address port once to set the address, (optionally) set up an auto-increment, and then write the data itself to the data port. Am I just out in the sticks here?

Razoola
04-06-2016, 11:26 PM
Yes that is what it is doing. The first word of the long word is the address and the 2nd word is the data. In this case its filling VRAM with 0x0000

Raz

erock
04-18-2016, 12:11 PM
Just popped it in- Fantastic!
Shout out to ShootTheCore for hooking me up!
The "Metal Slug2 Turbo" in the softdip slot selector is extra sexy.

matt5cott
01-03-2017, 04:51 PM
Just popped it in- Fantastic!
Shout out to ShootTheCore for hooking me up!
The "Metal Slug2 Turbo" in the softdip slot selector is extra sexy.

This, except for ChrisB gets my thanks, I soldered it in tonight and can't believe the difference!

Neo Alec
01-04-2017, 01:28 PM
I've been playing with this lately too, and it's better than I thought, especially in 1-player! Played through a full game on 2-player, and it can still be a slowdown fest, but the kind of slowdown that remains feels more natural and forgiveable.

I noticed some new graphical glitches on the title screen and stage clear screens on my MV-1C, but nothing major.

I wish they didn't change the title and NGH # though. This is an official cart that I felt bad about desoldering. I know it's nitpicking, but I'd rather keep my official cart as stock as possible.

Dandan
01-08-2017, 09:24 AM
hello mate, im in the uk, I have a eeprom burner to do this and would be happy to help.

I would be more than happy to pay you to help me out with this, just booted MS2 up today and the slowdown just ruins this wonderful game.
And yeah MS2>MSX

ChrisB
01-08-2017, 04:30 PM
I would be more than happy to pay you to help me out with this, just booted MS2 up today and the slowdown just ruins this wonderful game.

And yeah MS2>MSX

Hello Dan
I can burn the rom for you, do you have anyone who can solder it in?

Dandan
01-08-2017, 04:37 PM
I dont... too tricky to attempt alone as a noob you think?

ChrisB
01-08-2017, 05:25 PM
It is really you need some experience, I burned an Rom for Matt and he soldered it in maybe he could help you? Also GadgetUK can repair pcbs etcs he may help