CHA512Y

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Just a quick question about the CHA512Y. I've got a boot that was faulty - I've replaced the 273 chip and decided to convert this boot into Diggerman. The board is supposed to use 4Mb or 8Mb chips and I am trying work out how best I can get the C ROMS on there. I've got plenty of 1Mb chips and 4Mb chips. Since the /BYTE pin doesnt exist on the 4Mb 27C322 etc then I guess its expecting the data in a different order or something? Any help welcome!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you use 322s you need to make sure you set the jumpers correctly.

J2
J3
J7
J8
J9
J10

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I just don't get why 1Mb chips didn't work, unless maybe I need to do some chunk / byte swap or something. I will try 4Mb ROMS later and just do them as is (linear) and see if that works. Thanks for the jumpers there!

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Thanks! Will have a go with 4Mb chips! Total overkill using this board I know! It's mixed with a PROG16 so limited what I can use it for anyway.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
You could use 1MB chips if it was only two. You would need to lift and jumper /Byte to +5V too.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Thanks! I just tried that with no joy =/ There's just a 512Kb C1 and 512Kb C2 - I basically doubled each up in the 1Mb chips - ie. C1 = 2 x C1, and C2 = 2 x C2 - just to be on the safe side, but it looks like its something related to distribute of odd / even bytes, I wonder if I need to split original C ROMs into odd and even. eg. odd C1 and C2 in one chip, and even C1 and C2 in the other? I would never have believed it would be so hard to get Diggerman working lol. I've four other boot conversions to games I need and they were a breeze compared to this. I will see what happens with 4Mb ROMs but I cannot imagine it would be any different than it is at the moment - looking like one C ROM is not being read correctly - ie. 50% correct. I will try and read that wiki page more tomorrow when I am not so tired, I might work out wtf I need to do then lol.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
8MB mask roms only use one enable, if your jumpers are wrong you would be putting A21 to the /CE of the eprom...that would give ya some funky sheet.

The C roms should all ready be split correctly for the 32bit data bus, C1 even, C2 odd

Jumpers for 4MB chips, same as 1MB except for /Byte

Short-JG1+JG2+JG3+JG4+J2+J3+J5+J6

Open-J1+J4+J7+J8+J9+J10+J11+J12

...and the game does indeed suck :p

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I believe these boards only support 4MB/8MB mask roms. Everything you should need to know can be found here:

https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=CHA512Y

If you use 322s you need to make sure you set the jumpers correctly.

J2
J3
J7
J8
J9
J10

8MB mask roms only use one enable, if your jumpers are wrong you would be putting A21 to the /CE of the eprom...that would give ya some funky sheet.

The C roms should all ready be split correctly for the 32bit data bus, C1 even, C2 odd

Jumpers for 4MB chips, same as 1MB except for /Byte

Short-JG1+JG2+JG3+JG4+J2+J3+J5+J6

Open-J1+J4+J7+J8+J9+J10+J11+J12

...and the game does indeed suck :p

Thanks! I had one jumper missing J10 I think. After putting 4Mb chips on there at the same time it works fine, but I suspect 1Mb chips would have worked had that jumper been set correctly as you say! Yes, it is a bit of a pants game, I just had nothing else to covert it to as I've either got the other games as original, boot or multicart etc, and the PRG board was a PROG16 which I think is limited on P and V size without hacking etc. I think I just need 3 or 4 games now - Jockey GP, Irritating Maze (or whatever its called, figure I might have to make some ADC input board as they are rare), Pochi & Nyaa (which is like hens teeth to find online), and Galaxy Fight.

Last edited: