Blast City - no picture, no sound, monitor and lights power up, burning smell

the7k

Tarma's Gun Polisher
So yeah, I was testing out some Neo Geo carts on the Blast. Played SS4 just fine, then I turned it off, put in another game, powered on - nothing. Thought it was the game at first, so I tried another game. Nothing. Then I put in SS4 again just to make sure... nothing. Then I plugged up my Atomiswave, which I had been played a lot of lately and knew it was working... nothing. And that's when I noticed a burning smell, so I just powered it off immediately before I screw anything else up.

Power supply issue, or something else? And if it is a power supply issue, where could I get a new one for a Blast?

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
This may sound stupid but check the switch on the PCB door if you are holding it with a zip tie or something, I have had mine shift and not depress the button enough. This obviously woundnt account for the burning the smell though. Is the power light on the PSU when you turn on the cabinet?

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
My bet is the power supply is burnt, take a multimeter and test if you are getting anything, after you find out what if anything is actually burning of course.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
the marquee lights turn on , so it's not the kill switch

well if the monitor turns on, test VGA with a pc or whatever, on it make sure it's ok.

then test the sound with using the stereo inputs.

could be your jamma/jvs loom and cab io, maybe a short ( and meltdown ) somewhere.

could be the psu too. like wes said, check your voltages.

the best place to find a psu is yahoo japan auction. probably around 100$ shipped.

Last edited:

Rugdoctor

New Challenger
get yourself a voltmeter and measure the +5V and +12V from the JAMMA harness...hopefully it will explain what has happened.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Take the suggestions above - get yourself a cheap digital multi meter. It's pretty much essential when you have a cab.

Is anything powering up at all - monitor, psu leds (if any), marquee?