Too much expensive shit

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Do you ever look at your games and think, "I should just get rid of all this shit"? There's a pile of MVS carts easily worth a couple hundred that I don't even play that often. I love Money Puzzle Exchanger, but I don't play it often enough to justify the space it takes up and the money it represents not having.

I've been going through the crazies, thinking about selling off all my Neo stuff - the games, the joysticks, even the CMVS. I'm basically done with my VGA project, and I'm definitely not going to make a Neo-Geo game any time soon. I don't make enough money to support this sort of hobby.

Talk me out of it!

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
This is currently the worst time to buy neo-geo stuff, as the retro craze is in full swing. People like others, including myself have had games for ages. I've been buying since the 90's. I used to get mvs carts from like mdgames and such for dirt cheap. Games used to be 50 bucks. Lemme tell you, if you wanted to be into this hobby, you really couldn't have picked a worse time.

I recommend sitting on everything that has some special personal or game play value, because if this market doesn't crash in a few years, it might end up being unbuyable. I love when people sell to me for cheap, and sticking around here even in this crappy time has got me really lucky timing on some things. You just gotta be patient, and for god sakes, avoid ebay like the plague that it is. That site is ignorance in value spawning more trending ignorance in value to a tee. It's like a bunch of meth addicts passing the pipe and writing government documents.

This site is the place to be for a neo-geo fan looking for a good price. It's even better since the tumor removal of resellers and kick ass witch hunts.

Last edited:

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I've definitely seen the effects of rising prices of retro stuff. I got my Famicom copy of Gimmick! for $50 about 7 years ago. Now people are actually buying it on eBay for over $300, which is ridiculous to me.

I'm not even looking at buying games right now so much as justifying the ones I already have. I don't make a lot of money right now, and nobody I spend time with really cares about playing these games. I don't care much for playing most of them alone, so much of the time they just sit there. The temptation to sell them is strong - that's the winning side of this retro boom - but as you said, I'd be upset if later on I wished I still had the games and really couldn't get them. It was already hard to find MiE, in ten years it'll probably be much harder.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Just sit on your stuff. I don't think it's smart to sell neo geo. Especially games like Money Puzzle. That game is obscure as is, and it's a game I need also, but I'm not unloading 300 on a copy. The worst thing about this retro craze is how many old awesome japanese sellers have now become reseller hungry vermin. The trending thing has absolutely destroyed retro game prices. A game like Earthbound IMO should not be worth more then 50 bucks. That game tanked so bad when it dropped back in the day, I think I got my boxed copy for 20 bucks. It's just stupid what is considered valuable. Value and rarity are not like numismatics. They make little to no sense, and are more like hungry big kids who can't say 'this isn't worth it'. This 'rarity' stuff is just a bunch of nonsense to me. Demand can kiss my ass to. MVS carts are mass produced. The few that aren't should still have their current prices cut in half or even more. It kills the fun of being involved.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Sure video games can be expensive and sometimes I think that I should sell off a bunch of them, but you know what's way more expensive? Car, housing, food, utility bills - I spend way more on those every month than I do on video games, just to live and to get to work.

In the end, if you enjoy your video game collection and you're not behind on your fundamental bills then keep the games and carry on. Life is short - enjoy it while it lasts.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Sure video games can be expensive and sometimes I think that I should sell off a bunch of them, but you know what's way more expensive?
Figuring out you miss something a year after you sold it.

I'd say sell the games you are very very sure of they don't have any sentimental/gameplay value to you (anymore), keep the rest. It shouldn't be too many I guess and therefore not take up so much space (loose shockboxes if you have them).
And if you do, sell on here. This community rocks and in case you need something (back) in the future, hopefully it will still be a place of sanity while most of the web has gone "retro crazy".

novabomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I would advise to keep your games, at one point you bought them and it ment something. Unless you really need the money....

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I sold my massive Japanese Saturn collection because I hadn't played any of them for a while, and I kind of regret it now. If you don't need the money then I'd say keep them, or at least keep the games you actually like. If you sell them you'll only want them back in the future.

However, if you need money and have hundreds of dollars worth of games just sat there, then get rid of them.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
With the way the market is going, if you change your mind and want to buy in back down the road you may have to pay double. I've thought about selling some of my stuff for systems I don't play a ton of, but them I think of how little I payed for them and how much it'd cost to buy them again.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm always evaluating my gear, do I need this naomi behemoth that hasn't seen action in 12 months? Who knows? But if you're still wondering and don't feel concrete about the issue of selling then it's probably not the time to sell.

That said I've sold off all my console gear pretty much, bar a dreamcast. Everything else I have is neo or jamma.

jon713

Camel Slug
Agreed!

If you don't need the money keep them. I'm currently buying back games that I regretted selling. But now its harder to find deals as everything has gone up.
Crazy how you see a game like Nam-1975 priced at $90 to $120. WTF! I bought that game for $45 shipped a couple years back.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yep, this has promoted my slow selloff of the majority of by game collection. Although for me it has more to do with clutter than money, although it's nice having extra money to use for paying down debts.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
I would say keep but its all up to you.

I agree with lwk. a lot of japan sellers especially on ebay, have their prices on steriods now. they used to have good prices on their games but not anymore.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Crazy how you see a game like Nam-1975 priced at $90 to $120. WTF! I bought that game for $45 shipped a couple years back.

Word. I was fixing to unload my copy of Burning Fight, changed my mind after seeing how ridiculous the price is now. Might have to start up a Burning Fight Owners Club.

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
Word. I was fixing to unload my copy of Burning Fight, changed my mind after seeing how ridiculous the price is now. Might have to start up a Burning Fight Owners Club.

I really don't get those prices on eBay for Burning Fight. I bought my MVS copy 1 month ago for € 30. When I look on eBay I see a loose cart going for double to triple that price. WTF is up with this shit?!

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I really don't get those prices on eBay for Burning Fight. I bought my MVS copy 1 month ago for € 30. When I look on eBay I see a loose cart going for double to triple that price. WTF is up with this shit?!

The only MVS cart of Burning Fight that's sold on eBay from the U.S. in the last few months went for $30 (its actual value), but all of the Buy-It-Now prices are now $90 for some ungodly reason. I guess the resellers are looking to vastly increase the going rate on it in the near future. I'm not sure how successful they'll be with a game like Burning Fight. Time will tell, though.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I'd hold onto the games until you need money. I sold a lot of my$50+ games last year for some unexpected expenses.

At the right price, it was some needed quick cash.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

No one on here is paying those prices.