Modding a SNES

DEL 707

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hoping some can answer a stupid question for me. I'm hoping to mod my UK PAL Snes console. A 60Hz switch and disable the lockon.

I'm going to attempt to follow the guide here.
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/snes-5060hz-switch-with-lockout-switch

After reading this bit, I'm a little worried.

"Depending on your exact console model, the layout of the board might be different to the photographs in this guide. AND… there are some later motherboard revisions that can’t be modified with this standard 50/60Hz switch, the PPU chips are combined – usually called a 1 chip ppu"

I can see 2 PPU chip's on my mainboard.

SNES%20Motherboard.jpg

Am I o.k to carry on working on this, or am I wasting my time?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You are fine.

The 1 Chip machines actually have 1 CHIP silk screened on the board, like this:

SNS-CPU-1CHIP-02Picture3.jpg

Pikkon

n00b
I would go with a super cic chip as it will play everything and there cheap to buy.

I threw one in my pal snes and it works great.

kotter

n00b
I would go with a super cic chip as it will play everything and there cheap to buy.

I threw one in my pal snes and it works great.

+1

I've done the first mod on my snes but managed to break the lockout pin so I've only got the 50/60 switch.
I will replace the mod with a super cic that I've got lying around and would definitely go for that one from the get go if I knew about it back then.

http://wolfsoft.de/wordpress/?p=603

DEL 707

Cheng's Errand Boy
Thanks for the replies, I didn't know about the super CIC chip, definitely something to think about in the future.

I've just done the mod.
SNESMod%201.jpg

Region lock works fine. My 1 and only American game works fine.
The 50/60Hz switch works, but in 60Hz mode, the picture is slightly blurry.

I'm using a RGB scart lead from http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ . I'm using their PAL lead. Do I need to purchase their NTSC lead?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I'm using a RGB scart lead from http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ . I'm using their PAL lead. Do I need to purchase their NTSC lead?

You don't need the NTSC lead. PAL and NTSC SNES/SFC console had slightly different RGB circuits which meant they needed a different cable for the different regions. Not sure why it would seem blurry to be honest. I've done the same mod years ago and don't remember any difference in picture quality.

kotter

n00b
I'm using my pal lead and haven't noticed any blurriness but get less artifacts when running in 60hz.
Not sure what effect an ntsc cable would have on a modded pal machine and you wouldn't want to switch leads whenever you change region :)

I'll check later today how my lead is configured and if I can spot any blurrines when switching.

DEL 707

Cheng's Errand Boy
I'm open to ideas. :confused:

Here's 50hz

SNESmod%204.jpg

Here's 60hz

SNESmod%205.jpg

Hard to see in those pictures, but 60hz is a bit jaggy.

kotter

n00b
Ah right! I've got that issue as well and I read somewhere that it's the tv that can't really handle the scaling. I'm running my snes through an external scaler (GBS8200) and that fixes it.

DEL 707

Cheng's Errand Boy
Bollocks! I suppose.

That GBS8200 is pretty cheap, what kind of wire do I need to go from my SNES/Mega Drive/Neo Geo, to the unit?

kotter

n00b
I've added a scart input to my gbs (native inputs are vga or component) so that I can hook up all my systems through their scart leads. Then I needed to add a small circuit board for the sync signals, usually referred to as sync cleaner using a lm1881 chip.
You can get a complete kit from arcadeforge I believe but that would cost a bit more.

Pros of this setup is that I get better scaling and I can add scanlines.
The cons are that all systems require different settings to fill the screen properly, and since I don't want to fiddle with the settings everytime I change system I'm wasting a bit of screen space by using settings that kind of works for all.

Tbh. When I get a new TV and if it can handle scaling the snes I'll probably use the GBS only to get scanlines on my mvs and run the other systems directly to the tv.

DEL 707

Cheng's Errand Boy
Ordered myself a cheap SCART to HDMI upscaler.
Probably be end of the month before it turns up, but I'll let you know how I get on. :snack:

DEL 707

Cheng's Errand Boy
Little bit of an update.

Did the 60hz mod on my Mega Drive and it works fine on my TV, so I tried out my SNES on the living room TV (should have done this 1st) and it works fine at 60hz. So it does look like it's my TV being special.

Last edited:

DEL 707

Cheng's Errand Boy
My upscaler also turned up, with mixed results.

My SNES works fine at 60hz, don't like it at 720p or 1080p though, for some reason my TV doesn't give me an option to change the aspect ration to 4:3. So while the pictures fine, it's stretched.
Is has an option to run it at 1024x768, which does the job, but as a result gives me less options to control colour etc.

Does not like the Mega Drive at 60hz though, some games work, some do weird things. Sonic works fine at 60hz when plugged straight into my TV, though the upscaler, it goes a bit nutty and flashy...

Works fine with the MVS at 1024x768.

kotter

n00b
sorry to hear it didn't do better, it's gotten decent reviews. Any difference between PAL/NTSC for Sonic?