candy cabs

ThGame

Geese's Thug
Ive been very interested in getting a couple new toys after ive been non stop in love with my big red neo. Mainly because space is a non issue and the huge amount of use my mvs cab has been getting id like to expand my arcade collection and get into pinball as well. I would like to get a different thread going about pinball so in this ill focus on teh candy

The more research ive done i definitely want to get into a candy cab or two. Mainly from what i read on the forums here you used to have group buys but im not sure if that still happens or no? As well have any canadian forum users been able to find cabs locally? I see nothing online in canada or craiglist/kijiji or very little info on them here. Have any other canadian users on here bought cabs and how did you go about it. Is there a place i could order one directly fron the US even?

Also whats the best model to get off the bat for someone who already owns a big red? Im interested in jamma, love capcom games fighters shmups ect. I know the basics of the rotating screens ect from the big candy thread on here. also whats a good price? Im not afriad of a little work here and there to fix them up.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Ive been very interested in getting a couple new toys after ive been non stop in love with my big red neo. Mainly because space is a non issue and the huge amount of use my mvs cab has been getting id like to expand my arcade collection and get into pinball as well. I would like to get a different thread going about pinball so in this ill focus on teh candy

The more research ive done i definitely want to get into a candy cab or two. Mainly from what i read on the forums here you used to have group buys but im not sure if that still happens or no? As well have any canadian forum users been able to find cabs locally? I see nothing online in canada or craiglist/kijiji or very little info on them here. Have any other canadian users on here bought cabs and how did you go about it. Is there a place i could order one directly fron the US even?

Also whats the best model to get off the bat for someone who already owns a big red? Im interested in jamma, love capcom games fighters shmups ect. I know the basics of the rotating screens ect from the big candy thread on here. also whats a good price? Im not afriad of a little work here and there to fix them up.

I actually posted a similar thread quite some time ago, and a large amount of users suggested the Blast City as a good starter.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member

If you are interested in JAMMA, Fighters, and Shmups that are all 15Khz. I wouldn't recommend a Blast City.

Space being a non-issue to you, I think you would be better off with 2 Astros. One Vert, with your panel of choice and one Hori with a 2L12B for fighters and misc. Astros are easy to rotate and you can swap setups cab to cab. If you are interested in 31Khz like Naomi and since room isn't an issue, I'd just get a Naomi Uni, NC, or NNC for it.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
If you are interested in JAMMA, Fighters, and Shmups that are all 15Khz. I wouldn't recommend a Blast City.

Space being a non-issue to you, I think you would be better off with 2 Astros. One Vert, with your panel of choice and one Hori with a 2L12B for fighters and misc. Astros are easy to rotate and you can swap setups cab to cab. If you are interested in 31Khz like Naomi and since room isn't an issue, I'd just get a Naomi Uni, NC, or NNC for it.

Any tips on how to find/purchase them? Do group buys still happen here?

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
You will be hard pressed to find anything locally. I keep a constant eye out for them and I've only seen a couple pop up anywhere near the Toronto area. I don't know where you're from but generally speaking, if you can't find it in Toronto then you probably won't find it anywhere else in Canada either. I have six candy cabs, four were purchased from members on this site (2 from Montreal and 2 from Ottawa) and the others from Ken @ the gameroom in Utah. I have experience with the shipping aspect both domestically and across the border. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
You will be hard pressed to find anything locally. I keep a constant eye out for them and I've only seen a couple pop up anywhere near the Toronto area. I don't know where you're from but generally speaking, if you can't find it in Toronto then you probably won't find it anywhere else in Canada either. I have six candy cabs, four were purchased from members on this site (2 from Montreal and 2 from Ottawa) and the others from Ken @ the gameroom in Utah. I have experience with the shipping aspect both domestically and across the border. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Yea im in saskatoon and as expected it is less common even moreso around here. Im not against shipping and stuff or even a little travel, but with candys it appears i would need to get something brought in from the US. Ill bide my time a little bit and see if anything turns up.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Contact cdamm as well if you don't mind buying from the US. He runs a shop in Chicago (Windy Gaming) and has been importing containers of candy cabs over the past year or so. He seems to be interested in continuing that so there's another option. He's a great guy to deal with and will make sure you're getting exactly what you pay for.

Saskatchewan is certainly not a hotbed for candy cabs. I'd be willing to bet there's probably none in the entire province. Give me a shout when you're ready to bite the bullet and get the first candy cab Saskatoon has ever seen.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I found my Astro City locally here in Vancouver about 2 year ago. I paid $480 CND and I've been really happy with it ever since. It was easy to take apart and move up two flights of stairs. New paint, new CPO, buttons and joysticks and it feels brand new. I love it almost more than my big red for its portability.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
I found my Astro City locally here in Vancouver about 2 year ago. I paid $480 CND and I've been really happy with it ever since. It was easy to take apart and move up two flights of stairs. New paint, new CPO, buttons and joysticks and it feels brand new. I love it almost more than my big red for its portability.

Thats pretty awesome. I imagine with the asian community in bc you are more likely to have candys there. I was hoping to get one in canada and not have to ship across the boarder

bernardon

n00b
Hello.
I have to arcade cabinets.
One is wooden one, here in Spain is easy to find wooden ones.
And the other one is a sega new astro city.
The new astro city, the buil, is very good, and my unit Works very good. I have the astro about 2 years ago, and I never have a problema with it. the monitors on the astros are very realiable.
If you can buy an astro or new astro like mine.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Thats pretty awesome. I imagine with the asian community in bc you are more likely to have candys there. I was hoping to get one in canada and not have to ship across the boarder

Yup, there are tons of Candy cabinets floating around Hongcouver. I ended up getting my second NAC from 828 Enterprises, an arcade distributor around here. http://www.profilecanada.com/companydetail.cfm?company=2188909_828_Enterprises_Ltd_Richmond_BC
They sometimes have their cabinets listed on ebay as well.

You might want to check with them about shipping on over to Saskatoon. Though, the guy is chinese and his english is "passable" but you might have a hard time understanding him. But it's worth a try IMO.