Need help choosing a Component to VGA converter

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I wanted to play a couple of my older modded consoles (original xbox and Wii) on my CRT computer monitor which only has VGA. What's my best option Without breaking the bank?

kotter

n00b
Well you have the GBS82xx cards that are cheap but can be seriously tricky to get set up and I guess you get what you pay for.
I'm happy with mine but haven't tried any other so unfortunately I don't have anything to compare with.

There are two types, GBS8220 has two VGA outputs and the GBS8200 has onlye one :)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
XBOX has a vga box, you should be able to get one for cheaps, games that support 480p look phenomenal, Ninja Gaiden, Outrun 2, DOA, they look so amazing, no LCD could ever reproduce how amazing these vga tubes look on 480p.

If you don't have one, get yourself a Dreamcast and a vga box as well, prepare yourself though, it looks insane!

Last edited:

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
XBOX has a vga box, you should be able to get one for cheaps, games that support 480p look phenomenal, Ninja Gaiden, Outrun 2, DOA, they look so amazing, no LCD could ever reproduce how amazing these vga tubes look on 480p.

If you don't have one, get yourself a Dreamcast and a vga box as well, prepare yourself though, it looks insane!

Xbox has a VGA box? All my research has brought up people running component cables to some type of homemade VGA box. The only component to VGA converter I found was $189 new which seems way too much for an outdated item

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Well you have the GBS82xx cards that are cheap but can be seriously tricky to get set up and I guess you get what you pay for.
I'm happy with mine but haven't tried any other so unfortunately I don't have anything to compare with.

There are two types, GBS8220 has two VGA outputs and the GBS8200 has onlye one :)

The dual port would be nice since my monitor has 2 inputs. How hard is it to setup?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Dunno what to tell you other than what I posted. Look it up.

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
I've got one called a hd box pro that is decent. There's a thread over at the shmups forum about it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've got a GBS8220 which was what I used to use on a 31khz VGA only arcade monitor for 15khz games. It was pretty easy to set up, not much in the way of stuffing around. Couple settings here and there you might want to tweak, shouldn't take you more than 30mins playing with settings to get the right picture. Though that said I never tested it's Component to VGA performance only CGA - VGA. Judging by its ability to convert that and do it reasonably well, I'd say go for it. They are pretty cheap anyway.

I couldn't notice any input lag, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough? If you're looking for 'perfection' though... this might not be the converter for you but it does the job.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I've got a GBS8220 which was what I used to use on a 31khz VGA only arcade monitor for 15khz games. It was pretty easy to set up, not much in the way of stuffing around. Couple settings here and there you might want to tweak, shouldn't take you more than 30mins playing with settings to get the right picture. Though that said I never tested it's Component to VGA performance only CGA - VGA. Judging by its ability to convert that and do it reasonably well, I'd say go for it. They are pretty cheap anyway.

I couldn't notice any input lag, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough? If you're looking for 'perfection' though... this might not be the converter for you but it does the job.

It doesn't have to be perfect, as I'll most likely have emulators running off one of the consoles. I looked at the board pics, so I just mess with the on board buttons to get the picture I want? It's so cheap, it's worth trying

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I've got one called a hd box pro that is decent. There's a thread over at the shmups forum about it.

Cool thanks. A brand new one on ebay is $40. The GBS8200 is $20. Now I don't know which route to go!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I wasn't aware of that either but I can tell you this; Best product for displaying XBOX on a VGA CRT hands down.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I wasn't aware of that either but I can tell you this; Best product for displaying XBOX on a VGA CRT hands down.

Ugh. Don't wanna hear that! I guess I'll keep a lookout for one. maybe going the cheapest route until one pops up may be the best way to go

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
So I found an HD box Pro for cheap on ebay and grabbed it, so I'll report back once it arrives. On a side note, Would an SLG3000 give me a crisper display in conjunction with the converter?