Baseball Stars 2....pins soldered together

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
the game has been giving me graphical issues since I got it, but often resolved with reinserting the cart and it played fine. A while back the trick stopped working and vertical lines in the game would not go away. I was looking at traces etc.. and didn't see anything, but today I randomly popped the game open and saw this on chip C2. Could this be causing my issue? Are these supposed to be bent over and soldered together? I am guessing they aren't, but always best to check with the experts before desoldering anything...since my skills are pretty rusty, lol.

sorry for the bad pic, but it's the best I've got. You can see the two pins in the middle are bent over and together.

20150307_123247_zpsoquxydem.jpg

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
desoldered it....still have lines. Not sure if paying someone to look at this is worth it since it's not an extremely expensive game. The extra solder came off like butter, leaving the other solder intact. If I do just pick up a new game, maybe someone who knows what they're doing can save this game.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I believe they are not supposed to be soldered together, but from the picture (it's blurry where it matters) it seems that both of them go to ground, so it would not matter if they are soldered together. The lines can be caused by a dirty connector either on the console or the cartridge, or maybe a broken trace or damaged chip, however that would not be fixed by reinserting the cart.

Regards.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I believe they are not supposed to be soldered together, but from the picture (it's blurry where it matters) it seems that both of them go to ground, so it would not matter if they are soldered together. The lines can be caused by a dirty connector either on the console or the cartridge, or maybe a broken trace or damaged chip, however that would not be fixed by reinserting the cart.

Regards.

+1.

PM shadowkn55 if you're thinking about getting the cart looked at.

He's good with neo, and is usually Hot 'n Ready to fix stuff.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up. I've cleaned edges and tried two different 4 slots on all 4 slots and get the same result. I don't think it's a dirty connector. Thanks for the heads up on getting it looked at. I'd love to fix the cart over ditching it for another. Keep games alive, you know.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Thanks for the heads up. I've cleaned edges and tried two different 4 slots on all 4 slots and get the same result. I don't think it's a dirty connector. Thanks for the heads up on getting it looked at. I'd love to fix the cart over ditching it for another. Keep games alive, you know.

If the problem is the cart, maybe some of the C chips are broken, or maybe one of those chips went bad. If the chip is bad, you can replace it with an EPROM, if the trace is bad, it can be patched. Either way, I'm pretty usre the cart can be completely fixed.

Regards.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
It reads like a trace damage right near the connectors on the CHA board. I had a similar problem where there was a stress line crack in the board. I've also had multiple trace nic damage on those pcb's.
BB

SouthAmericaNeo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
This man know how to repair Neo Geo and many others systems Ask him he likes to help and will sell stuff too.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Luke?....LMAO Hellz Nooz. I dunno what he uses but it sure ain't "THE FORCE"

SouthAmericaNeo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I am sorry? I thought he was a good idea? I watch his videos and he is nice and has Info.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Lines are commonly from a bad connection from C rom to the slot connector. When you see the lines again move the cart slightly to the left or right and see if it goes away. If the lines are still there make sure all the data pins/all pins are good solder joints and there aren't any cracked solder joints or even cold ones. If the solder joints have a something that looks like a circle then you need to remove the old solder and reflow it.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
With such a lack of time to figure this out, I sent it off to shadowkn55 and he fixed it. Said he "resoldered some joints that looked dodgy". Great price, game works, and my son is super happy! In the end, that last one is all that matters. Thanks a lot!

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Don't listen to those posts. Lukemorse is a really helpful dude with some of his stuff and he's a good guy to watch to get better on what to look for with pcb's.