PDA

View Full Version : CPS1 battery change.

Green Beret
03-07-2015, 05:49 AM
Hi guys I have a Punisher and would like to change the battery on C board. It already has a Panasonic one on it but I don't know how old this battery is.
I already have received a couple of Chinese brand 3v CR2032 same kind batteries. Seller told me they last for 10 years.
I know there should be always 3 volts constant on the chip during the battery replacing procedure and for that there must be a second battery connected in parallel temporarily with cables.
Does anybody know where do I solder the temporary battery?
Thanks in advance.

bustedstr8
03-07-2015, 12:09 PM
There are large solder pads on the bottom side of the C-board.

Just a FYI...in every case I have seen the Q-battery dies long before the C-battery.

MuppeT
03-07-2015, 12:46 PM
Like mainman said once : "I have not seen any C-batteries dead yet.".. or something of that sort.

Green Beret
03-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Thank you guys for your answers. My Q battery is already phoenixed. I think the C battery is the same as the memory battery inside SNES catridges so it lasts for ages.

mainman
03-07-2015, 05:12 PM
Yes absolutely use a helper battery. As for solder points just get a multimeter and probe for points that will allow you to make dependable solder joints, it's not hard but be aware if you short something or have a solder joint break the board will die immediately.

Use only batteries with solder tabs, don't improvise.

Tyranix95
03-07-2015, 05:40 PM
Yea, you gotta use a helper batter.

Make sure you have solid + & - connections.

Don't mess up: The ram instantly loses the startup keys if power is lost.

And don't put a battery on the board backwards.

Tx

Green Beret
03-16-2015, 03:41 AM
Thanks guys. Created 2 solder joints, the positive on a nearby resistor and the negative on ground. Soldered there the temporary battery and replaced the old one successfully. The old one hade 2.9 volts and was a Panasonic brand. The new one has a little more than 3 volts but it's a chinese non brand. Of course it is the exact same type with the yellow circle around the top and the solder pins.
I asked the seller about this batterie's life and told me they last for 10 years. Do you know guys if the volts drop a little at a time on these cr2032s or they die suddenly like the 1/2 aa 3,6 volts of the CPS2? Or maybe do you suggest I replace it again after finding Panasonic brand?

Tyranix95
03-16-2015, 04:36 AM
The drop a little at a time.

10 years is a decent estimate. I'm still seeing OEM boards with OEM batteries.

General rule of thumb: Anything over +3.00v is fine. And anything just under +3:00v is ok. But, <+2.90v and under is where things start to get dicey. Heard some boards suicided around +2.80v, other around +2.60v, others around +2.50v. Finally around <+2.30v, the board is pretty much dead.

Store the board in a cool, dry place. Turn it on a couple of times a year. And the battery should be fine.

Green Beret
03-16-2015, 04:41 AM
The drop a little at a time.

10 years is a decent estimate. I'm still seeing OEM boards with OEM batteries.

General rule of thumb: Anything over +3.00v is fine. And anything just under +3:00v is ok. But, <+2.90v and under is where things start to get dicey. Heard some boards suicided around +2.80v, other around +2.60v, others around +2.50v. Finally around <+2.30v, the board is pretty much dead.

Store the board in a cool, dry place. Turn it on a couple of times a year. And the battery should be fine.Thank you very much for your advise. I will measure every year the battery and will keep it for five years.