Turbografx-16 Blue/White Screen

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
So on Saturday I got a boxed TG-16 system with a few games. The system is in pristine condition (The plastic over the logos hasn't even been taken off either!) but I went to plug it in and play, and after MANY tries, all I get is either a white or a teal blue screen... I imagine that the card slot couldn't possibly be THAT dirty. The cards appear to be pretty clean too... Any ideas?

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
So on Saturday I got a boxed TG-16 system with a few games. The system is in pristine condition (The plastic over the logos hasn't even been taken off either!) but I went to plug it in and play, and after MANY tries, all I get is either a white or a teal blue screen... I imagine that the card slot couldn't possibly be THAT dirty. The cards appear to be pretty clean too... Any ideas?

Gonna go through the "duh" questions, so bear with me.

Are you using the stock adapter?
Playing a US game or a Japan game?
If you're using an Everdrive, you have the switch on TG-16?
Assuming that you're using RF, are you on the right channel?

The last time I remember getting a white screen was because my region modded system was set for the wrong region for the card I was trying to play.

Worse case scenario, there's something going on inside like a possible bad cap (as they were all prone to that), so some repair might be needed.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I've had a white screen when no card was inserted so I thought it could be a dirty slot, but it seems from your description that it is incredibly clean. It could be like goombakid says - are you using a US region HuCard?

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I'm using a stock US adapter, all 3 games are US versions, I've checked the RF channel and it's the correct one... I'm not too experienced with cap replacement, so I'd hate to damage a pristine TG-16... If it is the card slot, what's the recommended way of cleaning it?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I never opened a TG16, but I had the same issue on a Core Grafx.
The problem was a broken connection on the flat cable that had to be resoldered.

I got to fix it that way. I can pretty much imagine that due to the size of that beast, there's no need for a flat cable.
But SupergrafX also is beastly huge and it's pretty much a waste of space on the inside.
It's definitelly a problem regarding the card slot/connection.

nam9

Zero's Secretary
Got a Core Grafx unit that gave a white screen on startup first time.. I reseated the cart a couple times and that gave me a picture. No issues since.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Well, I'll try cleaning it first, but the system in its barely-used condition is making me feel like it's a loose connection in the system. Hell, if the card slot needs re-soldering, I might as well have someone install a region switch..