Chihiro - Updating Firmware? Bad Net PIC?

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I picked up a Chihiro Type 3 last week and I'm wanting to update the 512mb dimm board so that I can netboot with it. The firmware is 1.12, though. I set Jumper 9 to the Network setting, have set the IP Address setting to my router (tests okay), and I'm using a Piforce Net PIC (which works fine in my Naomi 1 and Naomi 2)... but all I get is Error 26 on the Chihiro. I can't get it to do anything else, so I can't netboot it to update the firmware (and I don't have a GD-Rom drive).

Is the problem with the Dimm board firmware or is it that I need another Net PIC? (If it's the Net PIC, anyone able to burn me one that will work with a Chihiro Type 3?)

20150224_013323_zpsj2xtntyh.jpg

20150223_174431_zpstx1nehnv.jpg

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Gonna need a firmware update on that dimm, under 3.03 won't network boot afaik. Odd that it works on NAOMI though... You're saying the PIC works on a NAOMI right? No way a 1.x DIMM should network boot.

Last edited:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Right, the Net PIC I have works fine on my Naomi. I read online, though, that Error 26 could be because the PIC is not one that works with a Chihiro Type 3.

I was hoping that since the Chihiro Type 3 has a different dimm board (built in and newer than the Naomi kind), that it'd be easier to update firmware... but no dice. If I can't netboot to install the update, then I can't update it. @_@

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Firmware versions might be different then if it's a different DIMM. Hopefully someone with more exp can help you out.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Check and see if there is a CR2032 battery on the board.

If there is. Meter it. If it's low or dead. Replace it.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Check and see if there is a CR2032 battery on the board.

If there is. Meter it. If it's low or dead. Replace it.

Any particular trick to lifting the top half of the Chihiro off? [Nevermind, I see it needs to be unscrewed on the sides.]

Update: It looks like my Naomi PIC is the problem. Mitsurugi-W tells me that, "Error 26 is very specific. It means your PIC is not compatible. You can get by with a normal Chihiro game PIC and the python script to netboot."

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Have to try this with my Type I Chihiro, after I dig it out and set it up.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Can anyone help point me to a copy of "triforcetools.py"?
The only one I can seem to find online is the trimmed version used with capane-us's raspberry pi devices.

Last edited: