Watchdog reset ?

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
My primal rage board is giving me a watchdog reset screen. Any insight into what's causing this?

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
I'm a total noob in terms of repairs, but i think you can check this:

grab a logic probe and probe the reset pin as soon as you power the board up. The pin should go low for a brief moment and then High. If it's stuck low or always high, you must follow the traces back and probably one of the near IC's (a 7407 for example) is dead or has a static output.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Is the watchdog reset screen a special error screen in Primal Rage? Could be work RAM related or one of the ICs connected between the CPU and the work RAM.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
Is the watchdog reset screen a special error screen in Primal Rage? Could be work RAM related or one of the ICs connected between the CPU and the work RAM.

i did a ram test, i actually did all the tests possible within the board, this is the only one that came up

http://imgur.com/9HaBYpt

heres a pic of the actual error screen

http://imgur.com/kTVqbp4

grab a logic probe and probe the reset pin as soon as you power the board up. The pin should go low for a brief moment and then High. If it's stuck low or always high, you must follow the traces back and probably one of the near IC's (a 7407 for example) is dead or has a static output.

Hope this helps

it will help when i develop some mild form of an understanding as to what any of that means. i'm still a major noob here. though i appreciate the time you took to respond

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
It looks like ram 0-0 is throwing an error. You'd have to find what IC that is and do as _rm_ says and get the logic probe on it and the ICs connected to it.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
It looks like ram 0-0 is throwing an error. You'd have to find what IC that is and do as _rm_ says and get the logic probe on it and the ICs connected to it.

So this would probably require replacing a part huh?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
It could be a bad trace, but more likely than not it would require a part being replaced.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
Will this do the trick?

Hope this helps

Is this what I need? Or would you gentlemen recommend something else?

Elenco Electronics LP-560 Logic Probe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Z9HAP4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_22C7ub1MK0TSE
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Z9HAP4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_22C7ub1MK0TSE

Also, I disconnected the audio line to RCA converter and it seems to have stopped. I am going to let it run for a bit longer later to confirm that it's not just a coincidence.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thank you,
And the reset switch on the PCB would be the self test switch right?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I'd say it changes from PCB to PCB. You should be able to get into the test menu by pressing the test button and choosing the tests you want.

Did you have a look at the operators' manual? MOB Checksum is Moving Objects Checksum. Can you get into the game now? Does it have any sprite problems?

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I was able to get into the game before just I wouldn't be able to finish more than two matches before the watchdog screen would happen, in some cases it would come up during the first match.
Before I put the speaker line converter on I only saw that screen when I adjusted the 5V dial. And that happens twice like a month ago

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
Here's a video of how it happens, you can see the picture quality hopefully pretty well. I uploaded it as HD

Let me know what Ya think

The error screen in at about 1.28 minutes I think

http://youtu.be/Dj73MTQ68JE

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Quite a strange little error there. Is it always after that amount of time that the error will show? Are any of the ICs abnormally hot afterwards? If you turn it off then straight on again, does the error come up faster?

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
Quite a strange little error there. Is it always after that amount of time that the error will show? Are any of the ICs abnormally hot afterwards? If you turn it off then straight on again, does the error come up faster?

It did happen faster enter it reset but after I took the speaker line to RCA converter off it ran for over an hour just fine. Then I had to go to work and turned it off.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
So I took the audio converter off and no problem. I re did the Molex connecter thinkig I may have crossed some wires and it worked great for 30 minutes at a time. Then the screen.
Could it be sucking power?
I am ordering the logic probe so I will be following the advice above soon

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
here's an error I hadn't noticed before.

http://www.imgur.com/gallery/ASxnn8S

And the watchdog screen happens no matter what now.
I'll stop posting after my own posts now.
Thought this might help narrow down something.
Hope this doesn't count as spamming.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
What voltage are you reading at the JAMMA edge connector when it's on?

So when testing the voltage at the JAMMA connector anything below a 5.06 won't fully boot the board. All I get is shitty random colors on the screen. And no audio. At 5.05 I only get the watchdog reset screen.
Seems that this board runs higher than usual.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Some boards do require a little more juice than others. You just have adjust it accordingly. Does it work fully now, or does it still have problems?

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
Some boards do require a little more juice than others. You just have adjust it accordingly. Does it work fully now, or does it still have problems?

I think it may be the power supply.
I had settled at around 5.06-5.07 and it was working great. Then I got the Watchdog error screen. And before I restarted it I checked the voltage again and it was at 5.05, so I think the power supply may be unstable.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Yeah, that doesn't sound good. Was the 5.06-5.07 under load?