CD vs Cart on background details

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I've had a Neo CDZ for some time, but am just now getting on the AES/MVS bandwagon. I'm debating whether it's worth replacing some of my current CD games with the cart equivalents.

Other than loading time and arranged music, is there a graphical difference between the CD and cart versions of the same game? I heard that some CD games would drop background details or character animation frames to fit into memory.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
KOFs ( 96 onwards ) are the ones who suffer the most.
Some frames have been removed like Chang's crouching stance. The char stays still as opposed to the cart versions.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I've pretty much already decided to swap out the fighting games I already have on CD. The KOFs have horrible loading time even with the dropped frames.

How about other genres though? Some games like Last Resort, Magician Lord, Aero Fighters 2, and Viewpoint have minimal loading time and are much more affordable on CD than cart. Are dropped background detail and animation frames the exception rather than the rule with the CD versions?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I've pretty much already decided to swap out the fighting games I already have on CD. The KOFs have horrible loading time even with the dropped frames.

How about other genres though? Some games like Last Resort, Magician Lord, Aero Fighters 2, and Viewpoint have minimal loading time and are much more affordable on CD than cart. Are dropped background detail and animation frames the exception rather than the rule with the CD versions?

Some Arranged music is better on CD, some is particularly WORST.
Last Resort is one of those cases.

For the price you're getting Aero Fighters 2 on CD, you can get it on MVS and you don't have to deal with load times.