PDA

View Full Version : Taito F3 help

Niko
01-29-2015, 02:33 PM
Hey guys, I bought an F3 and a puzzle bobble 3 cart a few weeks backs off ebay and when I got it. I hooked it up but didnt get any video or sound.

Here is what I tried:
I verfied the voltage from my PSU was correct.
I replaced my PSU.
I cleaned the jamma edge
I cleaned the entire board
I reseated the game.
I tried hooking a speaker to both jamma and the stereo out header on the board.
I tried pressing the test switch.
I tried holding the test switch.
I tried pressing the test switch, waiting 30 seconds, pressing down 5x on P1 joystick then hitting button 1.
I tried coining up.

None of the above did anything to remedy the issue. Or caused anything different to happen. The only thing is when I would boot the F3 without a game connected I would get a blue bar at the top of the screen.

So I sent the F3 and the game back for a replacement.

Today, the replacement arrived and it does the exact same thing. Except, when I boot the system without a game I get abunch of garbage colors on the screen.

Any ideas on whats going on? Did I just receive two bad boards from the same seller?

My setup is a supergun with a Gonbes 8220 to convert the RGB to VGA.

The only other thing I could think of is that I am not running a -5v line. Could that be the issue?

ReplicaX
01-29-2015, 02:48 PM
My setup is a supergun with a Gonbes 8220 to convert the RGB to VGA.

Sync issue with your Gonbes is most likely. F3 if I recall runs a h sync around 16khz.

Niko
01-29-2015, 02:51 PM
Sync issue with your Gonbes is most likely. F3 if I recall runs around 57Hz.

I thought about that too but the seller's picture shows the same setup connected to a Gonbes??? Also wouldnt I atleast get sound?

ReplicaX
01-29-2015, 02:54 PM
I thought about that too but the seller's picture shows the same setup connected to a Gonbes??? Also wouldnt I atleast get sound?

There are different versions of the 8220 v1 and v2. V1s had issues with all sorts of boards. Mortal Kombats for example. They might be running a V2 and you have a v1. IDK the difference if there is one physically to identify.

Niko
01-29-2015, 03:42 PM
There are different versions of the 8220 v1 and v2. V1s had issues with all sorts of boards. Mortal Kombats for example. They might be running a V2 and you have a v1. IDK the difference if there is one physically to identify.

Hmm, yea I just googled and found where some people had issues with 57Hz refresh rates. But I'm not 100% sold that, thats my issue. Shouldnt I atleast be getting sound?

ReplicaX
01-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Hmm, yea I just googled and found where some people had issues with 57Hz refresh rates. But I'm not 100% sold that, thats my issue. Shouldnt I atleast be getting sound?

I would think so, unless attract was set to off.

Also does are your motherboard and cart the same region?

Niko
01-29-2015, 04:01 PM
I would think so, unless attract was set to off.

Also does are your motherboard and cart the same region?

Yep same region. Japan, if that matters.

Niko
01-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Ok I figured it out. I was measuring voltage at the PSU and not the Jamma edge. So when I was at 5.15v at the PSU I was only getting 4.6v at the jamma edge. Once I cranked the PSU up it started working.