Taito F3 help

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Hey guys, I bought an F3 and a puzzle bobble 3 cart a few weeks backs off ebay and when I got it. I hooked it up but didnt get any video or sound.

Here is what I tried:
I verfied the voltage from my PSU was correct.
I replaced my PSU.
I cleaned the jamma edge
I cleaned the entire board
I reseated the game.
I tried hooking a speaker to both jamma and the stereo out header on the board.
I tried pressing the test switch.
I tried holding the test switch.
I tried pressing the test switch, waiting 30 seconds, pressing down 5x on P1 joystick then hitting button 1.
I tried coining up.

None of the above did anything to remedy the issue. Or caused anything different to happen. The only thing is when I would boot the F3 without a game connected I would get a blue bar at the top of the screen.

So I sent the F3 and the game back for a replacement.

Today, the replacement arrived and it does the exact same thing. Except, when I boot the system without a game I get abunch of garbage colors on the screen.

Any ideas on whats going on? Did I just receive two bad boards from the same seller?

My setup is a supergun with a Gonbes 8220 to convert the RGB to VGA.

The only other thing I could think of is that I am not running a -5v line. Could that be the issue?

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
My setup is a supergun with a Gonbes 8220 to convert the RGB to VGA.

Sync issue with your Gonbes is most likely. F3 if I recall runs a h sync around 16khz.

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Sync issue with your Gonbes is most likely. F3 if I recall runs around 57Hz.

I thought about that too but the seller's picture shows the same setup connected to a Gonbes??? Also wouldnt I atleast get sound?

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I thought about that too but the seller's picture shows the same setup connected to a Gonbes??? Also wouldnt I atleast get sound?

There are different versions of the 8220 v1 and v2. V1s had issues with all sorts of boards. Mortal Kombats for example. They might be running a V2 and you have a v1. IDK the difference if there is one physically to identify.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
There are different versions of the 8220 v1 and v2. V1s had issues with all sorts of boards. Mortal Kombats for example. They might be running a V2 and you have a v1. IDK the difference if there is one physically to identify.

Hmm, yea I just googled and found where some people had issues with 57Hz refresh rates. But I'm not 100% sold that, thats my issue. Shouldnt I atleast be getting sound?

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Hmm, yea I just googled and found where some people had issues with 57Hz refresh rates. But I'm not 100% sold that, thats my issue. Shouldnt I atleast be getting sound?

I would think so, unless attract was set to off.

Also does are your motherboard and cart the same region?

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Ok I figured it out. I was measuring voltage at the PSU and not the Jamma edge. So when I was at 5.15v at the PSU I was only getting 4.6v at the jamma edge. Once I cranked the PSU up it started working.