Sega cd wont spin

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
I have a Sega cd model 2 with a new laser, the laser tray moves and the optic try to read but the spindle wont rotate.
I use a battery on the spindle motor and it rotates so the motor is not dead.
Is there a fuse, cap or something that give that problem?

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Why did you replace the laser? Was it doing the exact same thing? If this problem started when you put the new laser in, then it could be that the laser is bad, and it could also be that the laser needs to be adjusted. There is a pot on the laser assembly that controls the distance that the laser sits from the CD when it is trying to read it, and if it's off by too much then it won't even see the disc, and therefore won't start to spin it.

EDIT: I am not saying to start playing with that pot willy-nilly. You can measure the voltage when the laser is in the up position. See if you can find a spec online somewhere of what that value is supposed to be.

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
Well actually it was doing it too with the old laser too that why it is changed because some one told that if the laser is not reading it wont spin. I'm not the kind who like messing with the pot and the new laser is suppose to come adjusted.

Edit: checking the board I touch the chip BA6393FP this is the controller and get very hot when the lens trying to read. I'm thinking the problem might be there but not sure.

Last edited:

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Most Sega CDs with laser issues are actually in need of a recap. This was the case with both of mine (a Model 1 and Model 2), which power on but couldn't read discs when I bought them. Most people jump to replace the lasers when a recap is actually what was needed.