Help with X-eye

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
I have a JVC Xeye that only give me black screen no matter what. It does not boot the cd bios and when I put a cartridge is the same it won boot.
What could it be?

I thought it could be the power supply but no I use the 9.5v with 5amp and nothing, the original PS have 1.5amp.

Last edited:

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I have a JVC Xeye that only give me black screen no matter what. It does not boot the cd bios and when I put a cartridge is the same it won boot.
What could it be?

I thought it could be the power supply but no I use the 9.5v with 5amp and nothing.

Not exactly sure since I've never owned one, but you could always start with recapping it.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I can't remember if there's a fuse inside the X'Eye or not, have you opened it up? Might be an obviously blown cap on the board.

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
Well it actually turn on the and the caps look fine no leak or anything. When I turn it on the cd part the lens move but nothing else. The rare thing is it does not display anything but a black screen no cd bios menu or cart boot when inserted, I know the first thing to go is the disc reading. Could Caps be bad even when cosmetically look well and that is why is not displaying anything or boot?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Do you hear any music or sound when you boot up the system. What kind of video cables are you using?

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
If you've already eliminated the trivial things Ie: Power supply, a/v cable, etc. Start with the 7805's and make sure that they're both outputting 5V.

Next, move on to the power filter cap. Really, a good measure to recap the entire system, it's a shot-gun repair approach.

The X'eye is known for failing capacitors, they don't have to bulge or leak to fail.

If you had an ESR meter, you could properly test those electro's to see if they're way below their spec'd values.

Last edited:

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
Voultar I check the PS and different A/V cables to eliminate that probability. I'll check the 7805 to see if that is outputting the 5V. I don't have a ESR meter but I'm thinking of buying one for a long time.
In console5 the kit is not so expensive but I want to exhaust the easiest troubleshoot first.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Even if the caps look fine, they are in dire need of being replaced at this point.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
just cause the caps arent leaking does not mean they are good they can also have a slight bulge on the top feel them to see if they are flat. Also as giga power stated if youre using an LCD some of them are picky about the signal they receive i know my friend has a samsung that doesnt even display a picture or sound with a few retro consoles.