- Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

- Super Smash Bros. Wii U

- Guilty Gear Xrd SIGN

- Killer Instinct

- Mortal Kombat X

- Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

- Super Smash Bros. Melee

- Tekken 7 (arcade)

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/jan/20/evo-2015-game-announcement-live-stream-taking-place-now/

SNKP was a sponsor of last year's Evo. Maybe they decided not to 'support' this year's event and KoF XIII was taken out of the lineup.

The 'KoF XIII is too old' excuse is not true because Smash Bros. Melee and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 are still in the list.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
If they went by the way of the Saulabi it would be called KOF 2010. Yeah, way too old. UMVC3 came out a year after KOF XIII and Smash Brothers needs to be wiped off the face of the earth.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Two Smash games, and no KoF? That is some bullshit.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
2 smash bros + persona... but no kof... Old or not seems like a bit of a gip.

Presume it's not a huge draw for evo, but certainly makes evo a bit less credible imho - I'd be slightly shocked if the consensus is that p4a is more important/popular than kof?

novabomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Such a shame, KOF is far more superior and great for tournaments. F**k EVO for this!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
EVO = USA
USA = Capcom/Nintendo
There's no love for SNK there.

I see USA for fighting games like USA for Football (or soccer, whatever).
What's popular in fighting games there, isn't so much anywhere else.

Just a point of view.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
honestly surprised KI is in the list.. what with all the Microsoft hate in the fighting game community right now.

I know that getting people in my Local FGC to even touch KI is like forcing them to "mouth hug" a Syphilitic hooker.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
That KOF is so old now and theres no point in continuing support/awareness for a company that is, for all intents and purposes, done with fighting games.

Nintendo, Capcom, NRS, ScamcoBandai, Microsoft, etc are still in the business of making tournament/scene worthy shit and that's why they still have a home at evo.

While SNKP is still just a pachinko money laundering front for the Yakuza.
And as much as I loved KOF XIII, they can go suck a fucking dick for following it up with rhythm games, pachinko machines, and molestation sims.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Evo is just racist. They don't want Mexico to come and dominate.

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
I've read some users justifying the absence of KoF as 'fair' because last year there were few contestants (when compared to other fighting games); few people cared about watching the KoF matches throught an alternative stream and finally there were a bunch or Mr. Karate/EX Iori fighters which shows how unbalanced the game is.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Two smash bros games is excessive, and im a big smash fan. I figured they would keep melee due to the popularity of the matched, but two is unnecessary.

EtotheNGSPD

Mr. Big's Thug
Smash Brothers needs to be wiped off the face of the earth.
I knew I wasn't the only one that thought that way. I can't stand the idea of having Pikachu, Samus, Mario, Megaman, and Wii fit trainer coexisting in the same game. They need to put the some real man game in that lineup. Something like, the game that started it all, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo......

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
As gross as having two Smash games and no KoF in Evo makes me feel, the reality is that almost no one plays KoF XIII in the competitive scene anymore and SNK is an absolute shell that's only interested in cheap ports, mobile games and pachinko machine licensing. On the other hand, there's a metric fuckton of autistics and teenagers who love Smash and will show up to play it. Evo's interested in games that will bring in sponsorship money, bodies and hype and frankly, KoF 13 has none of those at this point. I'm just grateful it got the 3 year run it did get.

I'm more irritated that UNIEL (a game that has a healthy scene and a PS3 port coming out next month) got passed over for dead games like P4U and KI. I wasn't planning on going this year anyway but this just means I'll be spending less time watching on stream.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I'm surprised by all the Smash Bros hate. The games can be an ADHD fueled mess sometimes, but overall they're well made and a lot of crazy fun. You get to beat up the Duck Hunt Dog with Little Mac. What's not to love about that?

I will say the fact that two of them are at EVO is more than a little odd though.

I knew I wasn't the only one that thought that way. I can't stand the idea of having Pikachu, Samus, Mario, Megaman, and Wii fit trainer coexisting in the same game. They need to put the some real man game in that lineup. Something like, the game that started it all, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo......

Wishing for Smash Bros. Wii U to be like Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo is absurd. If you want to play a more technical, classic style 2D fighter, then go play one. Don't wish for games to become something that they're never intended to be in the first place. Smash Bros. is intended to be a wacky fighting game cartoon, pure and simple.

Saying you don't want all those characters together is like complaining about a company making a game with characters from Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Ikari Warriors, and Psycho Soldier all in the same game. After all, what sane person would want that? :P

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
How the hell is MvC3 still on there? And losing Blazblue given how great last year's matches were... that ain't right.

*I know the answer is Capcom money, but still....*

Was hoping maybe Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate or Last Round on there but can't say I'm surpprised that it isn't.

EtotheNGSPD

Mr. Big's Thug
Wishing for Smash Bros. Wii U to be like Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo is absurd. If you want to play a more technical, classic style 2D fighter, then go play one. Don't wish for games to become something that they're never intended to be in the first place. Smash Bros. is intended to be a wacky fighting game cartoon, pure and simple.

You misunderstood me. I'm not wishing Smash bro. to be like Super Turbo.. It will never be. I was wishing they put Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo back in the EVO lineup (super turbo was the game that started Evo, so why not keep it?). I know it will never happen tho. When I said "They need to put some real man game in the lineup" I meant in EVO not character from Street fighter in Smash bro...

Saying you don't want all those characters together is like complaining about a company making a game with characters from Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Ikari Warriors, and Psycho Soldier all in the same game. After all, what sane person would want that? :P
Now, How are you gonna compare The King of Fighter with Smash brothers? it is true that both games are a mix of various game characters into one fighting game. However, KOF characters are serious character that look like they could be together in the same game, and not a bizarre mix like Smash Bros. Hell, SNK even took their time to make the more cartoony characters from Ikari Warrior and Psycho Soldiers into real size, more serious characters, so they don't look out of place or wacky when fighting Kyo, or Terry. The same thing happened in Neo Geo Battle Coliseum. They took Marco from the Metal Slug Series, and Make him look like a real person before they put him in the game. They just didn't put Marco's big ass head just like he is in the original metal slug in NGBC. All I'm trying to say is Pokemons, Mario, and some other characters, don't mix (unless they are modified like in SNK games) with more serious, human like characters, like Samus, Snake, Hell, even Little Mac. but hey, this is America, and I guess you are free to like what you want right?

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Links needed!

I'm too lazy to trawl the internet for shit but a lot of SNKPs stuff is Taskuke-bait and Aruze (the company that fucked over SNK was very likely owned by the Yakuza).

SNKP "successfully" defeated them in court just so they could....keep making pachinko games.

So long story short, I have no links or proof....only rumors and conjecture.

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I was wishing they put Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo back in the EVO lineup

Last year was the best ST tournament in years, and likely the last big one in the States forever. There were two separate tournaments with a ton of Japanese players and the top 8 of the team tournament was on the main stage. There's a lot of things that prevent Super Turbo from getting more recognition, mainly that it must be played on arcade hardware. The UDCPS2 units have come a long way in making the game more playable but a complete setup is about $600, and ST boards are increasingly harder to come by. The best compromise was HDR, but the community stopped supporting offline events in that game.

As for Evo, it's unfortunate, but it's become a vehicle for game promotion more than the most 'deserving' games. Melee will be the 2nd or 3rd biggest tournament, so not including it is ridiculous. And obviously Nintendo is paying for Smash 4 to be highlighted. It's a shame that games with no community like KI and Persona get run over KoF, but them's the breaks.

Last edited: