Question Sega CD bios

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
It is posible to burn a region free bios or a jap bios and put it in a genesis cart to boot it from the genesis slot like when using an everdrive?

Edit: I forgot mine is a sega cd model 2 so it will have to be a model 2 bios I think.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That's a pretty good idea. I have no idea though, but if it works in the everdrive I don't see why not. Hopefully Busted or someone who knows more about these things will chime in.

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
I hope so I was going to do a region free bios mod but I don't want to desolder the bios, I need a good desolder pump with mine I might damage it trying. Desolder the rom from the cart is easier.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Even though it's not really needed since the Everdrive exists, a Sega CD region BIOS cart with a little switch on it to change between the 3 regions would be pretty damned cool.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Something like an old sonic cart with an eprom should work fine. You would also need to mod the Genesis for anything other than the region free bios.

Jibba's idea for a triple bios with a switch on the cart would be pretty easy as well.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
I've done the mod before and burned working bios' for model 1 and model 2. It's not too hard.

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
So if I burn the us model 2 region free bios used in the everdrive like burning any genesis rom, it should work. I ask this because I saw the Megacart Tototek sells and you just flash the bios into the cart apparently. I know is easier to just use the everdrive but I have 3 genesis, one to use with a jamma cabinet (the one that use the everdrive most) the one with the sega cd and the spare one. I just want to use something easy and cheap instead of buying another everdrive.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
Goombakid it suppose to be easier to swap the bios but with the proper tools is safer. I just have braid and a manual pump and I don't want to mess or kill the system.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member

That's the one. I had it once upon a time, but the one I got only worked with the model 1 SCDs; I had a model 2.

Goombakid it suppose to be easier to swap the bios but with the proper tools is safer. I just have braid and a manual pump and I don't want to mess or kill the system.

Proper tools (like a Hakko 808, I suupose) would make the job much easier, but what you have was what also all I had. I only messed up that one pin, which was an easy fix. It really just takes time and patience. I'd recommend cleaning and lubing the solder sucker prior to doing this. Also, when you remove the BIOS, solder in a 40 pin DIP socket instead of soldering the EPROM back in. Saves you a headache.

You could always just get the Mega Everdrive as well. I know you're avoiding having to get a new Everdrive, but the SCD BIOSs are all built in, so you don't have to keep flashing the SCD BIOS files like on the Everdrive MD.