PDA

View Full Version : The Punisher CPS dash

chinitosoccer
01-12-2015, 06:00 PM
Today I got this Punisher PCB on a trade for some console gaming stuff, the board is fine aesthetically but it wont boot, first I tried the basics, cleaned the contacts on the jamma edge, adjusted the +5V rail, nothing, so I went ahead and opened the board,

First thing I did was to measure the battery on the Q sound board, and to my surprise ...it was dead:(, it reads 0v,but the other battery, the one on the video board seems to be fine, it reads 3+ volts.

To my knowledge when the battery that powers the kabuki chip on the Q sound board dies, the game still plays, but you can't get any sound from the PCB, is that correct? so I believe that this thing must be completely f****d up :(, this is my first CPS dash PCB so I will need help from somebody whom I can send this board to get it fixed since its an expensive game and I 'd hate to have to leave it there lying on the shelf rotting without getting any play time.

shadowkn55
01-12-2015, 06:05 PM
You gotta so some modding and eprom programming to get your punisher to work again.

http://www.arcadecollecting.com/dead/dead.html

chinitosoccer
01-12-2015, 06:35 PM
I see, but that does not answer my question, a dead battery on the Q sound board kills the game completely, or only affects the sound? the battery on the C board (video) is fine.

shadowkn55
01-12-2015, 08:06 PM
Don't know but I'm more of a phoenix and forget kind of guy. Toss the batteries and be on your merry way.

bustedstr8
01-12-2015, 08:28 PM
The Q battery kills the game. The last few games I did all had dead Q batteries and good C batteries.
I believe there is a checksum the game needs to pull from the Kabuki before it will boot.

chinitosoccer
01-12-2015, 08:33 PM
Thanks for confirming busted!

Tyranix95
01-12-2015, 08:34 PM
In general: Yes.

ReplicaX
01-12-2015, 09:41 PM
The Q battery kills the game. The last few games I did all had dead Q batteries and good C batteries.
I believe there is a checksum the game needs to pull from the Kabuki before it will boot.

http://www.neo-geo.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

What Busted said, very common on CPS dash/1.5 boards.

Pasky
01-12-2015, 11:46 PM
You won't need to phoenix CPS-1's for much longer:

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=333459

chinitosoccer
01-13-2015, 04:55 AM
Not really, CPS dash uses 2 batteries, that contraption only fixes de Kabuki chip on the Q sound board, but there's also another battery left on "C" board, same as the one that came installed on regular CPS1 boards.

mainman
01-14-2015, 11:50 PM
To date I have never come across a dead battery on the C-board of the dash hardware. This is a very cool breakthrough but it's kind of redundant now. I have been running phoenixed dash boards for years with no issues. Besides most people just don't want to worry about their expensive Punishers/CADS dying and having to change batteries.

Green Beret
02-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Not really, CPS dash uses 2 batteries, that contraption only fixes de Kabuki chip on the Q sound board, but there's also another battery left on "C" board, same as the one that came installed on regular CPS1 boards.

So the kabuki reprogrammer will solve your problem to just change the Q sound battery and have it back to life again all original.
What did you do?

MuppeT
02-22-2015, 10:23 AM
So the kabuki reprogrammer will solve your problem to just change the Q sound battery and have it back to life again all original.
What did you do?

Kabuki programmer will not fix the suicide issue with CPS Dash games as the C-board has another suicide chip that the kabuki programmer currently does not support.

Green Beret
02-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Kabuki programmer will not fix the suicide issue with CPS Dash games as the C-board has another suicide chip that the kabuki programmer currently does not support.
Yes it doesn't entirly fix the problem for now. But the guy who opened this thread will be serviced.
The creator of the reprogrammer is working for the c board too.

MuppeT
02-22-2015, 11:03 AM
Like Mainman said it is redundant. As why would you do that and worry for the battery leaking and destroying the board if you can phoenix and enjoy the game with no worries whatsoever.
Also the breakthrough on the C board might coma after a year or so.

Green Beret
02-22-2015, 11:16 AM
Like Mainman said it is redundant. As why would you do that and worry for the battery leaking and destroying the board if you can phoenix and enjoy the game with no worries whatsoever.
Also the breakthrough on the C board might coma after a year or so.
You are right about that.
I have a punisher with a phoenixed Q sound but with a battery on c board. Don't know what to do. Changing battery seems to be difficult as the board should have 3 volts all the time.
Don't have the skills to phoenix c board either. Bypass looks easy but don't have the means to reprogram the EPROMs needed or program new ones.