CPS2 region differences?

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
So I bought a cps2A board from fox1's group buy, but my postal carrier misdelivered it so I never got it. I then found another CPS2A board on eBay and bought it.
I got it in today to realize its a South American A board so my US B board of AVP will not work with it.......:annoyed:

So I was wondering besides the physical connector difference, hardware wise are all regions identical?
Say if I find the connectors and convert the South American board to accept US cartridges, and change the bios to a US bios would the game play then?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
There is no bios, simply changing the connectors should do the job.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
There are six known types of CPS2 boardsets, which are as follows:

Blue - USA & European region boards. These are totally interchangeable with the Green Japanese region boards and vice-versa.
Green - Japanese region boards. See Blue above.
Grey - Asia region boards. Completely region locked - must have a grey A & B to work.
Yellow - Region free boards which where intended exclusively for rental. It is thought these where rented out to operators for a limited period so they could "test" their market with a particular game in order to encourage them to buy their own copy.
Yellow boards are particularly notable in that both the motherboards and rom boards are completely region free and as such can be used in combination with any other region's hardware.

Orange - South American region boards. Completely region locked - must have an orange A & B to work.
Black - These are rather unique in that they do not have a seperate motherboard, rather they are an all-in-one solution.

From arcadeotaku

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
From arcadeotaku

I saw that post and read it. I just wanted to know if I get through the physical region locking if there was any difference between the boards lol. I already bought another A board so I'm going to experiment on this one hahahha. I appreciate the help :)

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
There are no hardware differences between the different regions of cps2 A/B boards other than the connectors. I have changed the connectors on these boards hundreds of times and you should be warned do not even attempt this unless you have a desoldering gun unless you want to invest over 4 hours into one board doing it by manual means of solder sucker and wick all while astronomically risking damaging numerous traces if your skills are not at a veteran level.

http://www.king-cart.com/phoenixent/product=DIN 41612 EURO-CARD VME CONNECTORS/exact_match=exact

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Do you go to any of the socal meets?
Everytime they come up I have work and can't get out of it :(. I really want to goto the meet ups.

There are no hardware differences between the different regions of cps2 A/B boards other than the connectors. I have changed the connectors on these boards hundreds of times and you should be warned do not even attempt this unless you have a desoldering gun unless you want to invest over 4 hours into one board doing it by manual means of solder sucker and wick all while astronomically risking damaging numerous traces if your skills are not at a veteran level.

http://www.king-cart.com/phoenixent/product=DIN 41612 EURO-CARD VME CONNECTORS/exact_match=exact
Sweet thanks for confirming it. I do have a hakko 808( one if the best things I have bought for this hobby lol)
I actually desoldered one of the connectors today so I could do research on where to find replacements.
I really appreciate the link :)