PDA

View Full Version : About to get a NEC console but confused...

Xian Xi
12-24-2014, 05:55 PM
There seems to be a shit load of NEC console types and I don't know what to get.

I want something that plays TG16 games but I see PC Engine, Core, Briefcase, Duo, Duo R maybe some others.

What is the best one for just the card style games?

RGB out is a must.

aha2940
12-24-2014, 06:02 PM
I also got confused byt all the variants of the TG16 that exist. My research summarized in this:

With only one exception, the PC Engine SuperGrafx, all PC Engine hardware could play the entire HuCard library, and every CD system could play all of the licensed CD games - with the right system card. Some unlicensed CD games by Games Express required a Duo system, due to their games requiring both a special system card packaged with the games and the 256 kB of RAM built into the Duo.

So it seems as long as you pick the correct CD add-on for your base system, you will be OK if you only care for licensed games. Regarding RGB:

All versions of the TG-16 can be modded for RGB, but none output RGB natively. db-Electronics now offers a product that can attach to the "Turbo Booster" port in the rear of the unit, allowing for a mod-free RGB output!:

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboGrafx-16
http://retrorgb.com/tg16.html

Regards.

julencin2000
12-24-2014, 06:10 PM
With TG16 you mean you're gonna just playing USA versions?

CD are region free, HuCards are not.

Word is PC Engine Duo R or RX are the way to go, don't know about reliability of the USA version TurboDuo.

For the RGB a you'll have to mod it, but I guess you won't find any problems at all in that matter.

GohanX
12-24-2014, 06:15 PM
None of the systems have rgb, so either way you will need to mod it. The Core Grafx models have a 5 pin din jack that can be swapped for a 8 pin for a clean look easily.

If you really just want card games, I'd recommend getting the regular pce or Core Grafx and region modding it. Functionally it's the same as a tg16, but the Japanese units are smaller and cheaper.

That being said, my best advice is to just get a PCE Duo R. Sooner or later you're going to want to dive into the cd games, and the duo r is the best setup in price and reliability.

cdamm
12-24-2014, 06:17 PM
get yourself a pce duo-r and do a switch mod for the hucard slot for region. Then rgb mod it.

you are a pro when it comes to modding, so the rgb and switch mod should not phase you.

that set up is the king for nec. You will have access to everything with one solid reliable machine.

Gentlegamer
12-24-2014, 07:30 PM
You want a PC Engine Duo-R with region switch. It is higher quality than the regular Duos, which are plagued by cheap capacitors that were leaking out of the factory.

And you definitely want CD capability, some of the best games are CD.

goombakid
12-25-2014, 12:11 AM
I've personally had no problems with my PCE Duo, but if I could do it again, I would go with the Duo-R.

Since there are more modchips readily available now for NEC region mods, and your skill set, any and all mods should be no sweat for you, albeit time consuming.

Nickrb
12-25-2014, 02:17 AM
PCE outputs rgb natively through the expansion connector (http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/duorgb.php).

Xian Xi
12-25-2014, 04:47 AM
I'm aware of the RGB mods for the systems as I've done them before, the RGB comment was more towards if some consoles aren't able to output RGB with a simple mod like certain N64s before Tim's new PCB.

So basically I can get one of those white or gray PC Engine/Core systems and just region mod either one and play any hucard? Which is better the White or the Gray?

Thanks everyone for your input.

massimiliano
12-25-2014, 06:51 AM
Want the best NEC console? Just go for a early revision AES... /thread (j/k)

fremen
12-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Hi XX,

So basically I can get one of those white or gray PC Engine/Core systems and just region mod either one and play any hucard? Which is better the White or the Gray?

Yes

I prefer grey, white sometimes is yellow and you need to bleach it.

Un saludo y Feliz Navidad!!

Nickrb
12-25-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm aware of the RGB mods for the systems as I've done them before, the RGB comment was more towards if some consoles aren't able to output RGB with a simple mod like certain N64s before Tim's new PCB.

All of the NEC consoles output RGB. Merry Christmas!

GohanX
12-25-2014, 10:42 AM
The only difference between the white and gray systems is the video output. The white outputs rf and the grays have a 5 pin din connector. On the white you would need to remove the rf modulator and stick a mini din in there for rgb. That's slightly more difficult than just swapping the din out on the grays but either should be child's play for you.

WoodyXP
12-25-2014, 11:42 AM
Here is a link to the compatibility guide:

http://pcenginefx.com/main/nec_compatibility_guide.html

bustedstr8
12-25-2014, 12:37 PM
SuperGrafx with SuperCD is king.

Atro
12-25-2014, 01:17 PM
SuperGrafx with SuperCD is king.

I have that setup and it's horrendous :D

GohanX
12-25-2014, 01:44 PM
Do not disrespect the hammerhead!

bustedstr8
12-25-2014, 01:55 PM
That setup is sexy...in a Frankenstein sorta way :p

loopyeddie
12-25-2014, 04:02 PM
Don't do the region mod, just get a turbo everdrive.

PC Engine or core grafx or core grafx 2, and an everdrive and you're done. The core grafx 1&2 are slightly easier to mod for rgb, but you won't have trouble with the pce either.

goombakid
12-26-2014, 01:31 PM
PCE outputs rgb natively through the expansion connector (http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/duorgb.php).

The signals still need to be amplified to be usable, though. Thus generically referring to this as the "RGB mod".

Thanks everyone for your input.

I'm OG, so I'd say go with the white, RF only PC Engine, remove the RF modulator, and mod it from there. Connector wise, though, it might be easier to mod a Core so you can use already available cables out there, not to mention that you don't have to worry about it yellowing on you (being in HI and how some of my consoles yellowed living on Maui).

Don't do the region mod, just get a turbo everdrive.

PC Engine or core grafx or core grafx 2, and an everdrive and you're done. The core grafx 1&2 are slightly easier to mod for rgb, but you won't have trouble with the pce either.

Seconded on the Turbo Everdrive, unless you wanna just play original HuCards.

Gentlegamer
12-26-2014, 11:58 PM
If you don't have CD capability, you'll miss out on Lords of Thunder!

OBEY

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/Gentlegamer/HarrySkyrimPCE1_zpse6219806.png

Xian Xi
12-27-2014, 02:48 PM
So looks like I will be getting a Grey Core Grafx system and an Everdrive. What is the going rate for a Core Grafx with PSU and controller and also how much do the everdrives go for?

Thanks a bunch guys.

CORY
12-27-2014, 03:32 PM
You should really reconsider your choice bro. If you really like the Coregrafx design that much, I'd say get the cd-rom attachment at least. Some CD games are really, really good.

Coregrafx systems can be found anywhere from $50 to $80 depending on where you're looking. Everdrive are currently $89 on retrogate. You might want to wait for/organise a groub buy though, you can get it for as low as $60 if you do.

Mugicha
12-27-2014, 03:33 PM
just a heads up XX, I have a region swtich in my core grafx, and kidpanda's everdrive did not work with it. I heard there is an issue with those and the switch modded systems :(

CORY
12-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Like Eddie said, if you're getting an everydrive, you don't need to region mod your system.

K-2
12-27-2014, 04:56 PM
Get this :mr_t::

Not this :loco::
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s603/K2THELEGEND/97f68ec3-97d7-461b-994c-4f5f644565e8_zps2ea95ffe.jpg

opt2not
12-27-2014, 05:04 PM
I personally like the Super Grafx version I know some think it's ugly, but the design reminds me of alien tech, which would pair well with my one favourite game on that system -- Alien Crush!

rcantor77
12-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Get this :mr_t::

Not this :loco::
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s603/K2THELEGEND/97f68ec3-97d7-461b-994c-4f5f644565e8_zps2ea95ffe.jpg

Forget these James... this is the one you want. :D

http://i.imgur.com/P4QTi.jpg

ChopstickSamurai
12-27-2014, 06:28 PM
There's a seller on the PCEngineFX forum that sells reconditioned briefcase systems (retrobrited, recapped, new gears and lasers) for a reasonable price. I've had one for around a year and it's great. The Duo is awesome, but I just love the aesthetic of the original briefcase set up.

WoodyXP
12-27-2014, 07:06 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3251/2906429978_016e94c233_o.jpg

Here you go.

Xian Xi
12-27-2014, 08:13 PM
What's the difference between a Super Grafx and a Core Grafx?

GohanX
12-27-2014, 08:31 PM
The Super Grafx is upgraded a bit, but it is a failed system with only 5 games. It's really for collectors only.

It still plays regular hucards though.

Atro
12-27-2014, 08:34 PM
What's the difference between a Super Grafx and a Core Grafx?

A handful of exclusives.
Battle Ace, Daimakaimura, 1943, Aldynes, Granzort.

Gentlegamer
12-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Does the Turbo Everdrive have problems on systems with region switch?

GohanX
12-27-2014, 09:53 PM
Some people have had issues, although Pasky may have figured out the solution by installing a bigass power cap.

whisper2053
12-27-2014, 09:58 PM
Does the Turbo Everdrive have problems on systems with region switch?

Yes. As mentioned above the everdrive doesn't play nice with most region mods.

goombakid
12-27-2014, 10:12 PM
I've done my region mod with the 2 ICs (4551) for both my TG16 and PCE Duo. I've been taking power for the IC's themselves directly from the 7805 input pin (~10v) instead of the nearby cap or pin that most tutorials call for (5V). I've never had a problem with my TED on it. KRIKzz is adamant that the region mod screws with the TED, though.

Gentlegamer
12-27-2014, 11:16 PM
So it's a power supply issue to the flash card. I didn't consider that before having the region switch installed on my Duo-R.

I have a stock TG-16, so I'm covered when I get a Turbo Everdrive and it has issues on the Duo-R.

TeamShake
12-28-2014, 12:09 AM
I thought the Everdrive region switch issue was with some that use wires that are too long. Not sure if it affects just mods that use an 8pdt switch or ones that use ics for switching too.

goombakid
12-28-2014, 12:16 AM
So it's a power supply issue to the flash card. I didn't consider that before having the region switch installed on my Duo-R.

Flashcards a fickle when it comes to power consumption. Most region mods tell you to take 5V near the cartridge slot. It'll work fine for original HuCards, but with flashcards, any interruption of power (power drop caused by the 5V taken from around/at the HuCard slot or the length of wire for the 8PDT switch) will cause the flash card to not work.

Depending on what mod chip is installed in the Duo-R, you could just get power directly from the 7805; if it's the 4551 IC, more voltage won't hurt it (4551s can take up to 18v) so you can use the input left, the main IC on the "Obey" chip max voltage is 7V, so get power from the right leg. If it's the 8PDT, just remove it.

...just my observation regarding Everdrives and region mods.

THAT BEING SAID, Sifu, if you're not gonna worry about getting original HuCards, then you won't need to region mod it. Done.

RAZO
12-28-2014, 12:51 AM
James, like many mentioned, get the the Duo-R and Turbo Ed and your set. Iso's and the romz are your best friends :smirk: .

Gentlegamer
12-28-2014, 04:22 PM
I checked with Keith Courage at pcenginefx.com

your system will work just fine with a turbo ever drive. I use an 8PDT switch for it. this method is compatible with the turbo ever drive in both a us turbo grafx system and a duo-r.

for other systems I use a curcuit based region mod in order for the turbo everdrive to work

So you can buy modded systems from him and they will all work with Turbo Everdrive.

zxtec
12-30-2014, 05:08 PM
I've installed the "Obey" region mod chip on three of my systems: PCE Duo, Turbo Grafx and Turbo Express. Power was connected to the 5v on the Hucard slot. I haven't had any issues with the systems working with the Everdrive.

There were a couple of people on PCEFX that had issues with an Everdrive and a region modded original white PC Engine. Not sure if white PCE is more problematic when region modded and using an Everdrive.

Xian Xi
12-30-2014, 07:20 PM
James, like many mentioned, get the the Duo-R and Turbo Ed and your set. Iso's and the romz are your best friends :smirk: .

Wait, so the everdrive can run the isos? That's bad ass if that's true.

CORY
12-30-2014, 07:23 PM

No, it doesn't. I'm pretty sure RAZO was taking about burning the isos on CDRs.

Gentlegamer
12-30-2014, 07:24 PM

No, that's why you need the Duo-R (or any CD unit) since there's no copy protection it can run CD-Rs.

Xian Xi
12-30-2014, 07:49 PM
I figured that. But that would be awesome.

goombakid
12-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Sifu, just get the Duo-R. No regrets later.

[OCEAN]
12-31-2014, 04:34 AM
I'd get the Duo-R hands down. Or even a Duo-RX if you come by a decently priced one, I think its the same unit as the Duo-R but with a 6 button pad (similar to the PCFX's one)

I own a jap Cofre Grafx + CD-Rom2, a Turbo Duo and a Duo-R and the Duo-R is the only one which still has a perfectly working CD unit today.