161-in-1 No Sound

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I've had my cart in a 1slot for a couple of months, undisturbed. Was working flawlessly.

Fired up the cab today-no sound. Tried reseating the cart multiple times, no sound.

Popped KoF 97 in, sound.

That rules out the cab, and the 1slot as points of failure.

Anyone else have the sound go out on their multi-cart? If so, is there a fix?

Thanks in advance for any light that gets shed on this.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
It's worth checking the cart boards - I do know that there's a jumper / solder bridge under the top board, related to the diodes which drop power from 5v to 3.3v. I've had that solder link break (very tiny tiny bit of solder used at manufacture) and simply rebridging it fixed the problem for me. You typically get Z80 error with it on Unibios. If you've got a Unibios, enable hardware tests and boot the game, see if you get the Z80 error. Also worth cleaning the cart edges up, and if you haven't already done so, file the sides of the boards to ensure they fit the cart slot properly and don't warp when plugged in.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
It's worth checking the cart boards - I do know that there's a jumper / solder bridge under the top board, related to the diodes which drop power from 5v to 3.3v. I've had that solder link break (very tiny tiny bit of solder used at manufacture) and simply rebridging it fixed the problem for me. You typically get Z80 error with it on Unibios. If you've got a Unibios, enable hardware tests and boot the game, see if you get the Z80 error. Also worth cleaning the cart edges up, and if you haven't already done so, file the sides of the boards to ensure they fit the cart slot properly and don't warp when plugged in.

Thanks for the hints!

I reseated the ribbon cable, and ditched the cart shell.
5b8806800d6e8d029995035fb39a5ef2.jpg

Sound is BACK!!

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
When I got my 161-1 whoever put the cart together had tightened the shells screw tower right into the ribbon cable crushing it..I only discovered this because I could nut get the cart in my 4 slot mobos slot for the life of me.it seems the carts boards are to long at the connector edge so I had to open the cart and file a small amount of the ends off..the cart still fits very tight but fits..